1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows locks up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Valorie McLaughlin, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the "RIGHT"
    mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
     
  2. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    news:e8VfaovMKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    > "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    Hi V.

    the first place to check, is your Event viewer, to see if any errors
    show up in Apps, or System.
     
  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:15:17 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the "RIGHT"
    >mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this? <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    What type of mouse ? Have you tried another mouse ?
     
  4. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Valorie McLaughlin wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    > "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Problems right-clicking are usually caused by third-party programs which
    have inserted entries into the context menu. These are most easily managed
    with the free ShellExView program. You might also take a look at the links
    below. It doesn't matter that they reference XP; they are applicable to
    Vista too.

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -


    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace objects -


    - ShellExView

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  5. "meerkat" <waiting@meerkatmanor.com> wrote in message
    news:MOwqm.94913$bU2.27806@newsfe29.ams2...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    > news:e8VfaovMKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >> "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > Hi V.
    >
    > the first place to check, is your Event viewer, to see if any errors
    > show up in Apps, or System.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Where do I find Event Viewer. Agent Ransack found an empty folder with that
    name.
     
  6. Re: Windows locks up - WhOOPs!


    "meerkat" <waiting@meerkatmanor.com> wrote in message
    news:MOwqm.94913$bU2.27806@newsfe29.ams2...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    > news:e8VfaovMKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >> "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > Hi V.
    >
    > the first place to check, is your Event viewer, to see if any errors
    > show up in Apps, or System.
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I found it. There are no errors in Apps or System.
     
  7. "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:tnfla5pgab6a4ac3qte8kp04s2l6ojsbqc@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:15:17 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    > <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >>Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>"RIGHT"
    >>mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > What type of mouse ? Have you tried another mouse ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It's a HP optical mouse and PC. Never had a problem with this mouse before.
    The program, then the PC, locks up on right-click only. Task Manager never
    worked right on this PC. It doesn't end these hung programs. Sometimes TM
    itself locks up. I never had these issues with WXP/SP2.
     
  8. "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:%23w0BlezMKHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Valorie McLaughlin wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >> "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Problems right-clicking are usually caused by third-party programs which
    > have inserted entries into the context menu. These are most easily managed
    > with the free ShellExView program. You might also take a look at the links
    > below. It doesn't matter that they reference XP; they are applicable to
    > Vista too.
    >
    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    OK, I downloaded something from that page, but have no idea what I'm looking
    at. It shows some kind of shells. I'm sorry to say but it's meaningless to
    me.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    > objects -
    >
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    What one am I supposed to download there? Is there anything non-technical
    that can be done? I'm not a programmer or technician so don't know the
    terminology used. I don't see how the shell thing is related to the start
    menu. I wouldn't know what extensions to "manage" or what software they're
    related to.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >
    - ShellExView
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >

    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message news:eWoFvG7MKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "meerkat" <waiting@meerkatmanor.com> wrote in message
    > news:MOwqm.94913$bU2.27806@newsfe29.ams2...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    >> news:e8VfaovMKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>> "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> Hi V.
    >>
    >> the first place to check, is your Event viewer, to see if any errors
    >> show up in Apps, or System.
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Where do I find Event Viewer. Agent Ransack found an empty folder with that
    > name.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative tools > Event viewer.
     
  10. Alias

    Alias Guest

  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:11:37 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >news:tnfla5pgab6a4ac3qte8kp04s2l6ojsbqc@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:15:17 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>>Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>>"RIGHT"
    >>>mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> What type of mouse ? Have you tried another mouse ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >It's a HP optical mouse and PC. Never had a problem with this mouse before.
    >The program, then the PC, locks up on right-click only. Task Manager never
    >worked right on this PC. It doesn't end these hung programs. Sometimes TM
    >itself locks up. I never had these issues with WXP/SP2. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Battery(s) ? ( wireless ) ? usb ?- properly plugged in ?
     
  12. "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:emBbUCANKHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Look at kevpan's other posts and you will get an idea how to react to his
    > advice :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yes, I finally go the picture this evening. ;o)
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Here's what Valorie McLaughlin wrote on 9/12/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> <kevpan815@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:%23nREyMxMKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 9.04 RTW
    >>> From .<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Linux is of no use to me. My software, and I have a lot of it, wont run
    >> on Linux. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> "Valorie McLaughlin" <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:e8VfaovMKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>> Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>>> "RIGHT" mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:714oa5pdsdu6v9uelqg0bh7io98tpme5hb@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:11:37 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    > <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >>"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>news:tnfla5pgab6a4ac3qte8kp04s2l6ojsbqc@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:15:17 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>>>"RIGHT"
    >>>>mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
    >>>
    >>> What type of mouse ? Have you tried another mouse ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>It's a HP optical mouse and PC. Never had a problem with this mouse
    >>before.
    >>The program, then the PC, locks up on right-click only. Task Manager
    >>never
    >>worked right on this PC. It doesn't end these hung programs. Sometimes TM
    >>itself locks up. I never had these issues with WXP/SP2.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Battery(s) ? ( wireless ) ? usb ?- properly plugged in ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    It has the wire and plugs into the PC. I've not had the problem today.
    Some days it's one program or window after the other that locks on
    right-click.
     
  14. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:45:01 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >news:714oa5pdsdu6v9uelqg0bh7io98tpme5hb@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:11:37 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>>"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>news:tnfla5pgab6a4ac3qte8kp04s2l6ojsbqc@4ax.com...
    >>>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:15:17 -0500, "Valorie McLaughlin"
    >>>> <ValMcL@invaid.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Windows and other programs are starting to lock up when I click the
    >>>>>"RIGHT"
    >>>>>mouse button. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
    >>>>
    >>>> What type of mouse ? Have you tried another mouse ?
    >>>
    >>>It's a HP optical mouse and PC. Never had a problem with this mouse
    >>>before.
    >>>The program, then the PC, locks up on right-click only. Task Manager
    >>>never
    >>>worked right on this PC. It doesn't end these hung programs. Sometimes TM
    >>>itself locks up. I never had these issues with WXP/SP2.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Battery(s) ? ( wireless ) ? usb ?- properly plugged in ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    >It has the wire and plugs into the PC. I've not had the problem today.
    >Some days it's one program or window after the other that locks on
    >right-click.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Val , just seen another post ; if you have Google Toolbar installed ,
    uninstall it and see what happens . ( I`ve seen on newsgroups it
    causes problems )
     

Share This Page