1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Installer Service - iTunes Fix

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cerebus777, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. cerebus777

    cerebus777 Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Okay, I am running Vista Home Premium (64 bit). Recently I downloaded
    a lot of updates for Vista from the Microsoft website. Then a few days
    ago I saw that iTunes had a new update. I tried to update the system
    but it would not work. So I thought "Hmm, must be trying to download
    the 32 bit version of the software". I proceeded to download the 64 bit
    installer directly to my hard drive. But when I tried to run the
    program I got a message indicating that the Windows Installation Service
    was unavailable and to contact support personnel, or something equally
    useless.

    In any event, I tried most of the suggestions on this site without any
    luck. Just to save you some time, I'm not going to go into detail
    regarding the exact method I tried. Just type in the descriptions below
    and I'm sure you will come across the threads. I tried the following:
    1. de-register / register using "run";
    2. download a "good" registry key from a different computer that was
    also running Vista (32 and 64 bit) and paste it into my registry;
    3. download that useless "spam" program that is advertised in
    association with this problem; and
    4. copy and paste into a txt document the text of a registry entry and
    save it as a .reg file.

    Needless to say none of these worked. However, during my travels I
    came across an interesting post relating to the installation of 64-bit
    programs. Specifically, the person had noticed that 64-bit apps were
    not installing, and the error meesage involved the WOW64 registry entry.

    More specifically:

    "I tried everything from unregistering and then re-registering the
    msiexec files in both the system32 folder and the sysWOW64 folder. I
    tried editing the registry and changing the windows installer imagepath
    to the SysWOW64 folder. I tried running it with UAC on and then off and
    from the true Administrator account, etc....nothing solved the issue.

    Finally, the other day I was searching the problem out and came upon
    this blog:

    'Think# Knowledge Blog' ()

    I changed the key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer\WOW64
    from a 1 to a 0."

    Well I tried the same thing, only I completely deleted the WOW64
    registry entry. In any event, it worked and my 64 bit apps are
    installing exactly the way they should.

    I hope that helps someone and keeps them from wasting time on the
    wholly useless Microsoft website.


    --
    cerebus777
     
  2. wtss

    wtss Guest

    I tried what cerebus777 posted and also just deleted wow64 completely
    and did a restart of computer and have been able to download and install
    any and all updates that I could not previously do. I have not yet tried
    to delete any programs yet but I am going to try that next. I was unable
    to uninstall any programs either. Thank You very much cerebus777 for
    finding this I have been trying for days to fix this but I do not go
    into the registry because am not formiliar with it and know it is very
    dangerous. This was an amazing job and. THANK YOU AGAIN

    Bill Schreck
    Milford ct. 06460


    --
    wtss
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wtss's Profile:
    View this thread:


     

Share This Page