1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Installer Pop-up at start-up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alice, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. alice

    alice Guest

    I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer, a
    windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it doesn't
    state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the computer
    comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in the
    secured drive D).
    How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is trying
    to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all programs
    from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    Any suggestions appreciated.
     
  2. Have you recently installed a multi-function printer? Did you install ALL of
    the modules (software) for said printer? Is the popup asking to install
    drivers?

    If so, place the CD in the tray and allow the printer software to continue
    the install.

    My friends HP multi-function printer had to be rebooted four time and each
    time a new module asked to be installed.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience


    "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:EA1237D7-D28E-40FE-A948-E62423F452EA@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer, a
    > windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it
    > doesn't
    > state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    > installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the
    > computer
    > comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in
    > the
    > secured drive D).
    > How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    > cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is
    > trying
    > to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    > displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all
    > programs
    > from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    > Any suggestions appreciated. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. alice

    alice Guest

    Yes Richard, I did install a HP mutli-function printer the 1st day I bought
    the computer but this pop-up only comes up a few days later. As the windows
    installer doesn't say whether it is installing a program or a driver, I
    wouldn't know what it is trying to install.
    Your suggestion points me in a new direction which I'll try out tonight when
    I go home and see if the printer CD would solve this issue.

    Thanks Richard.


    "Richard Urban" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Have you recently installed a multi-function printer? Did you install ALL of
    > the modules (software) for said printer? Is the popup asking to install
    > drivers?
    >
    > If so, place the CD in the tray and allow the printer software to continue
    > the install.
    >
    > My friends HP multi-function printer had to be rebooted four time and each
    > time a new module asked to be installed.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Desktop Experience
    >
    >
    > "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:EA1237D7-D28E-40FE-A948-E62423F452EA@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer, a
    > > windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it
    > > doesn't
    > > state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    > > installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the
    > > computer
    > > comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in
    > > the
    > > secured drive D).
    > > How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    > > cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is
    > > trying
    > > to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    > > displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all
    > > programs
    > > from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    > > Any suggestions appreciated. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Please get back to us with the results as many have the same problem.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience


    "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:50B81C5E-4466-452E-BB0F-2297C2E60F86@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Yes Richard, I did install a HP mutli-function printer the 1st day I
    > bought
    > the computer but this pop-up only comes up a few days later. As the
    > windows
    > installer doesn't say whether it is installing a program or a driver, I
    > wouldn't know what it is trying to install.
    > Your suggestion points me in a new direction which I'll try out tonight
    > when
    > I go home and see if the printer CD would solve this issue.
    >
    > Thanks Richard.
    >
    >
    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Have you recently installed a multi-function printer? Did you install ALL
    >> of
    >> the modules (software) for said printer? Is the popup asking to install
    >> drivers?
    >>
    >> If so, place the CD in the tray and allow the printer software to
    >> continue
    >> the install.
    >>
    >> My friends HP multi-function printer had to be rebooted four time and
    >> each
    >> time a new module asked to be installed.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows Desktop Experience
    >>
    >>
    >> "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:EA1237D7-D28E-40FE-A948-E62423F452EA@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> >I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer,
    >> >a
    >> > windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it
    >> > doesn't
    >> > state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    >> > installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the
    >> > computer
    >> > comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in
    >> > the
    >> > secured drive D).
    >> > How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    >> > cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is
    >> > trying
    >> > to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    >> > displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all
    >> > programs
    >> > from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    >> > Any suggestions appreciated.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Richard

    Most had success with this KB below. (Note: Not for Office 2007 installations) Let
    Alice follow your recommendation and only when it does not help should she use this
    MS Tool



    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:egWpuykKKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Please get back to us with the results as many have the same problem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Desktop Experience
    >
    >
    > "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:50B81C5E-4466-452E-BB0F-2297C2E60F86@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Yes Richard, I did install a HP mutli-function printer the 1st day I bought
    >> the computer but this pop-up only comes up a few days later. As the windows
    >> installer doesn't say whether it is installing a program or a driver, I
    >> wouldn't know what it is trying to install.
    >> Your suggestion points me in a new direction which I'll try out tonight when
    >> I go home and see if the printer CD would solve this issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks Richard.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Have you recently installed a multi-function printer? Did you install ALL of
    >>> the modules (software) for said printer? Is the popup asking to install
    >>> drivers?
    >>>
    >>> If so, place the CD in the tray and allow the printer software to continue
    >>> the install.
    >>>
    >>> My friends HP multi-function printer had to be rebooted four time and each
    >>> time a new module asked to be installed.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Richard Urban
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows Desktop Experience
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:EA1237D7-D28E-40FE-A948-E62423F452EA@microsoft.com...
    >>> >I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer, a
    >>> > windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it
    >>> > doesn't
    >>> > state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    >>> > installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the
    >>> > computer
    >>> > comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in
    >>> > the
    >>> > secured drive D).
    >>> > How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    >>> > cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is
    >>> > trying
    >>> > to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    >>> > displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all
    >>> > programs
    >>> > from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    >>> > Any suggestions appreciated.
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. alice

    alice Guest

    I finally had time to work on my computer issue last night.

    No, the problem is not caused by the multi-function printer and inserting
    the printer CD into the computer when the installer asked for the CD doesn't
    work.

    I paid more attention to the windows installer display when the computer
    rebooted and noticed it was trying to install 'solution center'. I used
    windows installer cleanup utility to remove it and it was gone when the
    computer restarted. But (there's always a but) a new pop-up appears and it
    is from TRAYAPP which keeps on installing programs and then disappears. I
    guess TRAYAPP is loading the programs that appear as icons in the system tray
    located on the lower right hand corner of the computer screen. Usually the
    loading is behind the scene and doesn't come up as a pop-up window on the
    monitor. There may be no harm having this pop-up as it will disappear after
    all programs have been loaded but it's a distraction. Not sure how I can get
    rid of it visually ?


    "Richard Urban" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Please get back to us with the results as many have the same problem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Desktop Experience
    >
    >
    > "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:50B81C5E-4466-452E-BB0F-2297C2E60F86@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Yes Richard, I did install a HP mutli-function printer the 1st day I
    > > bought
    > > the computer but this pop-up only comes up a few days later. As the
    > > windows
    > > installer doesn't say whether it is installing a program or a driver, I
    > > wouldn't know what it is trying to install.
    > > Your suggestion points me in a new direction which I'll try out tonight
    > > when
    > > I go home and see if the printer CD would solve this issue.
    > >
    > > Thanks Richard.
    > >
    > >
    > > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    > ><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Have you recently installed a multi-function printer? Did you install ALL
    > >> of
    > >> the modules (software) for said printer? Is the popup asking to install
    > >> drivers?
    > >>
    > >> If so, place the CD in the tray and allow the printer software to
    > >> continue
    > >> the install.
    > >>
    > >> My friends HP multi-function printer had to be rebooted four time and
    > >> each
    > >> time a new module asked to be installed.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows Desktop Experience
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> news:EA1237D7-D28E-40FE-A948-E62423F452EA@microsoft.com...
    > >> >I have a new HP computer and recently every time I boot up the computer,
    > >> >a
    > >> > windows installer window pops-up and tried to install a program (it
    > >> > doesn't
    > >> > state the program name) but stops at the stage when it searches for an
    > >> > installation CD, as I don't have the computer's installation CD (the
    > >> > computer
    > >> > comes with no installation CD and all installation info is backed-up in
    > >> > the
    > >> > secured drive D).
    > >> > How do I get rid of this pop-up ? I have tried using windows installer
    > >> > cleanup utility but as I don't know which program windows installer is
    > >> > trying
    > >> > to install, I don't know which one to delete from the list of programs
    > >> > displayed in the cleanup utility. What would happen if I remove all
    > >> > programs
    > >> > from the windows installer cleanup utility list ?
    > >> > Any suggestions appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page