1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Explorer - Can NOT delete, move, etc.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by v877051, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    Hello, all,

    You've all been so great in helping me in the recent past!

    This problem is VERY difficult to resolve.

    When I attempt to copy/cut and paste (or even DELETE from desktop or
    wherever) (CTRL X, CTRL C, then CTRL V) or, even by right-clicking
    methods, I get the typical dialogue box:

    "Moving items...," "Deleting items...," etc.

    The problem is that sometimes, only sometimes the documents move or are
    copied. Sometimes, (usually about 80% of the time) they do NOT.

    The dialogue box that states what's going on just freezes & hangs
    forever.

    When I start task manager, right-click and "end task," the screen
    blacks-out and Windows Explorer starts up again. This happens each and
    every time.

    How do I diagnose this? What could be a cause for this?

    I've ran multiple scans (Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Trend Micro
    Internet Security Pro 2010). ...all to no avail.

    Please help. I'm really trying to keep my system stable until I get my
    external hard drive back that's being repaired.

    Worried,
    Erik :sick:


    --
    v877051
     
  2. Malke

    Malke Guest

    v877051 wrote:

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > This problem is VERY difficult to resolve.
    >
    > When I attempt to copy/cut and paste (or even DELETE from desktop or
    > wherever) (CTRL X, CTRL C, then CTRL V) or, even by right-clicking
    > methods, I get the typical dialogue box:
    >
    > "Moving items...," "Deleting items...," etc.
    >
    > The problem is that sometimes, only sometimes the documents move or are
    > copied. Sometimes, (usually about 80% of the time) they do NOT.
    >
    > The dialogue box that states what's going on just freezes & hangs
    > forever.
    >
    > When I start task manager, right-click and "end task," the screen
    > blacks-out and Windows Explorer starts up again. This happens each and
    > every time.
    >
    > How do I diagnose this? What could be a cause for this?
    >
    > I've ran multiple scans (Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Trend Micro
    > Internet Security Pro 2010). ...all to no avail.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    1. The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
    changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    2. How much room is on your hard drive? If not a lot, get some stuff off even
    if you must go to the store and buy another external hard drive.

    3. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive
    mftr.'s website (or use Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a
    bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party burning
    software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free ImgBurn. Burn as an
    image, not as data.



    Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
    any physical tests, replace it.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  3. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    Malke;1121868 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 1. The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
    > changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
    >
    > 2. How much room is on your hard drive? If not a lot, get some stuff
    > off even
    > if you must go to the store and buy another external hard drive.
    >
    > 3. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the
    > drive
    > mftr.'s website (or use Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a
    > bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party
    > burning
    > software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free ImgBurn. Burn as
    > an
    > image, not as data.
    >
    > 'The Official ImgBurn Website' ()
    >
    > Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it
    > fails
    > any physical tests, replace it.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    > 'index' (
    )<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    1.) Changes: Uninstalled Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009,
    rebooted, installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 (free upgrade to
    subscribers). It's x64, obviously. That's really it. I didn't
    multi-task during the uninstallation, I let it do it's thing.

    2.) Noteable changes: I have since uninstalled 2010 and reverted back
    to '09 because of major performance & compatibility issues. They just
    don't have enough casualties of war worked-out yet. However, I'm now
    noticing hanging apps, lots of idle time when trying to right-click &
    create folders, etc. I'm running on 8GB of RAM versus 775GB FREE of 931GB
    HDD space. I do have an external hard drive for iTunes, mainly. Backup,
    also.

    3.) Could you kindly expand on your method outlined in step 3? I'm a
    little new to those types of softwares. I can obtain any of them easily,
    as I'm a student and can even get them downloadable-style (no box, etc.),
    and am willing to do whatever it takes. However, "mounting," "images,"
    and things of the like are, indeed foreign terms to me as of late. I'm
    rather well-versed in computers, even know the inner-workings of a 64-bit
    registry vs 32-bit, yet it's the simple tasks like that I don't
    understand. In short, could you please provide a step-by-step example?

    4.) I apologize for my long-windedness. I feel that, the more I
    describe, the more clear my problem is and, in turn, will be easier to
    diagnose. I'm running on Vista Ultimate x64, by the way. I downloaded
    HijackThis. Are you able to analyze a log if I posted it here? I just
    have an inkling something may be amiss in that department.

    Again, thank you SO much for your kind, detailed, and professional
    response. It's always a good day when an MVP replies to your posts. You
    guys really CARE. You don't get a lot of that these days. Thanks, also,
    for being nice to me, as I'm a n00b on here. [​IMG]

    Erik

    PS - Would event logs or WERS (Windows Error Reporting Service) (not sure
    if that's a good acronym) data help at all? I swear by this statement, my
    computer is seriously having performance issues... it's as slow as a
    Commodore on the verge of meltdown.


    --
    v877051
     
  4. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    BTW, when I requested a step-by-step example, it was mainly regarding
    the burning/mounting of images.

    What should I look for if I use SeaGate? I believe I remember seeing
    that in my Services.MSC console...


    --
    v877051
     
  5. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    v877051 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >BTW, when I requested a step-by-step example, it was mainly regarding
    >the burning/mounting of images.
    >
    >What should I look for if I use SeaGate? I believe I remember seeing
    >that in my Services.MSC console...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I don't think so.

    Here is a tutorial (and a download link for Sea Tools):

     
  6. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    John, thanks for your reply! You're right, what I saw in services.msc
    was something completely different.

    I understand now what Seagate SeaTools is and how to use it.

    All of the reports I ran came back w/ no errors. Note: I also did the
    "long" drive tests and waited patiently; no hits there, either.

    As of yet, I have NOT burned an ISO/image of my harddrive; I'm having
    a bit of a hard time figuring out, to be honest.

    Some other points I've noticed since I last posted (Sorry for the
    delay, hardware issues, computer won't accept any keyboards & running on
    a wireless... had to get batteries... separate post on that.)

    Points:

    - Firefox's downloads don't hang at 99% after switching from IE.

    - After the first download (firefox or IE), then I get the 99% error.

    - Conversely, if I switch BACK to IE after using Firefox, I get the 99%
    error.

    - This tells me/us that something is happening when I attempt to DL
    files.

    - I've already tried "reseting to default" on IE, and also running
    "with add-ons disabled."

    Please help, this is getting awfully difficult to deal with. Note:
    When running Firefox, half the time it crashes completely. I'm not sure
    if that is necessary/pertinent information, but thought I should include
    as much as possible.

    Thanks again for your help, guys (and gals,) as I really
    need/appreciate it.

    I hope to hear back soon!


    --
    v877051
     
  7. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    Malke;1121868 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > v877051 wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > >
    > > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > 3. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the
    > > drive
    > > mftr.'s website (or use Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a
    > > bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party
    > > burning
    > > software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free ImgBurn. Burn as
    > > an
    > > image, not as data.
    > >
    > > 'The Official ImgBurn Website' ()
    > >
    > > Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it
    > > fails
    > > any physical tests, replace it.
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > MS-MVP
    > > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    > > 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)> > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I just discovered that, to my surprise, ASUS provided me with a free
    > copy of Nero Essentials 8. I'm installing it as we speak. I didn't
    > have much luck w/ Imgburn; there was some kind of compatibility isuse.
    >
    > I know how to boot from CD, as I would if I were reformatting, for
    > example.
    >
    > However, just to get back to what you said (in the quote above), why
    > am I preparing a bootable (backup?) CD if the tests all turned out to
    > be ok? Thanks, in advance, for the clarification, as I don't think I'm
    > understanding what you said at the end, at this point.
    >
    > In the meantime, I'll try to get my backup CD of Windows going; at a
    > glance, the TUTORIAL HERE ON VISTAX64.COM looks promising! I'll give
    > it a go!
    >
    > *_NOTE:_I_have_updated_the_post_w/_some_new_symptoms_&_replicated_the_problem_(LOTS_OF_TIMES);_See_above_*.
    > :mad:
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Erik<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    --
    v877051
     
  8. v877051

    v877051 Guest

    Ok, saved to disc (Windows) and booted form disk. Everything from
    Windows Startup Repair to Problem Reports & Solutions... did not work.
    When attempting to download anything through Internet Explorer,
    specifically, I get the normal dialogue box and it fills up, green,
    as-if finished, but it's at 99%. It simply hangs until I click
    "cancel." As a test, I waited & walked-away for a couple hours. I
    figured it might explain SOMETHING. However, it did not complete.
    With Firefox (which I don't like & find difficult to
    personalize/customize/manage, i.e. cookies. etc.) downloads work just
    fine.

    I've isolated this to specifically IE8.

    Note: I've uninstalled all third-party software (games, burning media,
    etc.) & disabled all non-MS services, excluding, of course,
    manufacturer-specific stuff, like ASUS management tools, for example.
    iTunes is gone, Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 is turned off,
    clean slate; still hanging (the downloads through IE) at 99%.

    Is this uncommon?

    Please help, thanks!!


    --
    v877051
     

Share This Page