1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Explorer Always Opens In a New Window

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by marksimpson884, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. In folder options it has selected "Open each folder in the same window"
    but it never does. When I right-click and choose explore it opens in
    the same window as expected and it is the default action however if I
    double click a folder it always opens it in a new window.

    Any suggestions?


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  2. Brink

    Brink Guest

    marksimpson884;737047 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In folder options it has selected "Open each folder in the same window"
    > but it never does. When I right-click and choose explore it opens in the
    > same window as expected and it is the default action however if I double
    > click a folder it always opens it in a new window.
    >
    > Any suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hi Mark,

    This tutorial may be able to help you. Make sure that you have the
    Navigation Pane turned on to.



    Hope this helps,
    Shawn


    --
    Brink

    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*VISTA FORUMS*' (
    )
    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     
  3. Thats for your input. I did forget about the navigation pane which
    works as well. I followed all the instructions and I can use the
    navigation pane but it would still be nice to be able to double click a
    folder without having it open in a new window. It used to work when I
    first got my computer but not anymore.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  4. Brink

    Brink Guest

    Mark,

    With the Navigation Pane open and having *Open each folder in the same
    window* dotted, you should be able to double click on a folder to open
    it in the same window.

    After that, does it still open a separate window?

    Shawn


    --
    Brink

    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*VISTA FORUMS*' ()
    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     
  5. If I use the navigation pane to open folders it opens in the same window
    but no opening a folder normally still creates a new window. I had this
    happen once before with my XP. It had something to do with having a USB
    device (Like a camera or an ipod) connected to my computer when it blue
    screened. With XP there was a fix though and with Visa I've yet to find
    one.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  6. Brink

    Brink Guest

    Mark,

    You can try this below. It will reset the default value in the registry
    for this.

    1. Open regedit.
    2. Go to:
    *HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell*

    3. In the right pane, right click on *(Default)* and click *Modify*.
    4. Type *none* and click *OK*.


    Here's a REG download if you prefer to use it instead. After you
    download it onto the desktop, right click on it and click *Merge*.
    Approve all the security prompts. This will change the registry for you
    automatically.

    4361 < Click to Download

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn


    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: HKCR_Directory_Shell_None.reg |
    |Download:
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Brink

    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*VISTA FORUMS*' (
    )
    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     
  7. Its already set to none.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  8. Brink

    Brink Guest

  9. No luck. Guess I'll have to live with it for now as the restore points
    don't fix it and I'm not willing to reformat over it.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  10. Respawns

    Respawns Guest

    Sounds stupid but try clicking "apply" before you press OK and close the
    window.

    Hope this helps.


    --
    Respawns
     
  11. Nonny

    Nonny Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:24:32 -0500, Respawns <guest@unknown-email.com>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Sounds stupid but try clicking "apply" before you press OK and close the
    >window.
    >
    >Hope this helps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    What would REALLY help (if you plan on sticking around) is for you to
    learn how to quote what you are replying to.
     
  12. Brink

    Brink Guest

    marksimpson884;739050 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > No luck. Guess I'll have to live with it for now as the restore points
    > don't fix it and I'm not willing to reformat over it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Mark,

    Other than a reinstall, a Repair install is the only thing left that I
    know that should fix it since the other patch methods did not work for
    you. This tutorial will give you details about it and how to do it if
    you want to give it a try.



    Shawn


    --
    Brink

    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*VISTA FORUMS*' (
    )
    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     
  13. Nope.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  14. Well I would but it was installed by HP so I can't get a disk to repair
    it.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  15. Brink

    Brink Guest

    Mark,

    I do not know if it will let you do anything other than a clean
    install, but these instructions from HP will show you how to make a
    Recovery Installation DVD of your own from your recovery partition.

    'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Creating Recovery Disc Set in Windows
    Vista '
    ()

    and

    'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set '
    (
    )

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn


    --
    Brink

    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*VISTA FORUMS*' (
    )
    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     
  16. Brink;739555 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Mark,
    >
    > I do not know if it will let you do anything other than a clean
    > install, but these instructions from HP will show you how to make a
    > Recovery Installation DVD of your own from your recovery partition. It
    > can come in handy if your hard drive should ever fail or get corrupted.
    >
    > 'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* Creating Recovery Disc Set in Windows
    > Vista*'
    > ()
    >
    > and
    >
    > 'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set*'
    > (
    )
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Shawn<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    Well I didn't make a backup so the disk wouldn't help much. Other than
    that it has software that preforms a clean install that is basically the
    equivalent of a reformat. I called them a few weeks ago and it was all
    they could recommend I do though.


    --
    marksimpson884
     
  17. Hi guys i get the solution
    i searched over all internet and google but no good soution and i
    restored system but it still the same so i did one good this and it
    worked good

    1- go to default programs start menu
    2- choose programs and features at left down
    3- choose " view installed updates" at top left.
    4- delete some(not just one) of updates u installed specially for
    internet exploer 8 and the other which begin with " updates for micrsoft
    kb.....

    after that restart and check it inshallah it will work good if not
    setup tuneup utility program and choose registry cleaner from it and it
    will work


    i did that both together but i think deleting updates is the prop
    specially ie 8
    i hope it help u all

    Mos


    --
    moonlightever14
     
  18. Aki1985

    Aki1985 Guest

    Hi. first and probably only post, but thought I'll verify previous post
    by moonlightever14.

    Since a past Vista update that included IE8, my 32bit vista machine has
    been working strange. Double click on folder to new window being exactly
    one of them. Had done a lot of googling and regedit experimentation to
    try and fix it, but no luck.

    Then I read moonlightever14 post today about IE8 updates. It triggered
    me to go and unstall IE8 as I already had a feeling it could be related
    to that. First time I actually removed updates installed by windows
    update, but did the job for me! I removed every kb-numbered patch that
    was IE8 related (using the windows update history), finally uninstalled
    the IE8 install patch itself. So my Vista 32bit is reverted back to IE7
    and all problems including the double click issue in explorer are
    solved!

    Didn't have problems on my 64bit vista machine, which is now still on
    IE8. Not that Vista64 users aren't affected, as I don't know what
    exactly caused it :shock:

    I only wonder when it is save for me to let windows update do all its
    recommended updates again....


    --
    Aki1985
     
  19. Hi im happy it work good for you


    --
    moonlightever14
     
  20. Aki1985

    Aki1985 Guest

    Altough a little of topic to the thread, but nice to note: Just
    reverting computer back to IE7 also fixed another problem for me that I
    had with Windows Media Player 11 being unable to share media. This made
    me unable to watch media on my xbox 360, which was kinda annoying. I
    found it was caused by Vista being unable to start the "Windows Media
    Player Network Sharing-Service"

    However, after removing the IE8 related updates, I was able to fix that
    too [​IMG]


    --
    Aki1985
     

Share This Page