1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Defender and AVG antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by August@yahoo.net, Aug 30, 2009.

  1. In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    cause your computer to run slowly.

    Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    antispyware.
     
  2. Saint

    Saint Guest

    If your not going to use AVG any more then go into your control panel and
    uninstall the program.
    Steve

    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    > and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    > Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    > cause your computer to run slowly.
    >
    > Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    > antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    AVG is an Anti Virus and not an Antispyware. Windows defender is not an Anti Virus.
    Leaving both of those 2 different programs should not affect your system. As your
    Not suggests running 2 different spyware programs at the SAME time is a problem. The
    magic word is "SAME TIME"

    I have SAS and Malwarebytes and another 2 and I run only one at a time. Does not
    slow the system down doing this unless both or all are doing the same and running at
    the same time concurrently

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    > and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    > Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    > cause your computer to run slowly.
    >
    > Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    > antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. August@yahoo.net wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    > and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    > Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    > cause your computer to run slowly.
    >
    > Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    > antispyware.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    That's odd. I run both AVG Free and Windows Defender in their (more or
    less) default configurations, and I've never seen any such message.

    --
    David Trimboli
     
  5. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    Run both.

    Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more or
    less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit blurry,
    these are two different areas of malware.

    Saucy


    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    > and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    > Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    > cause your computer to run slowly.
    >
    > Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    > antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    altogether.

    Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    help.

    On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Run both.
    >
    >Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more or
    >less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit blurry,
    >these are two different areas of malware.
    >
    >Saucy
    >
    >
    ><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>
    >> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >> antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    news:954n95lfuok3afrnm7jj0ckfe5bdjfs0i7@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    > email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    > see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    > altogether.
    >
    > Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    > looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    > help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Avast lets you manipulate all of its features and I am sure AVG does the
    same, without the need to uninstall the entire program.
    Did you look into it?

    Harry.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    > <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Run both.
    >>
    >>Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more
    >>or
    >>less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit
    >>blurry,
    >>these are two different areas of malware.
    >>
    >>Saucy
    >>
    >>
    >><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >>> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >>> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >>> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>>
    >>> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >>> antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:53:46 -0400, "webster72n"
    <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >
    >
    ><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >news:954n95lfuok3afrnm7jj0ckfe5bdjfs0i7@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    >> email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    >> see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    >> altogether.
    >>
    >> Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    >> looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    >> help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >Avast lets you manipulate all of its features and I am sure AVG does the
    >same, without the need to uninstall the entire program.
    >Did you look into it?
    >
    >Harry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yes. That's what I have been saying. The only control I can find is
    under advanced tools > ignore faulty conditions. This lets me ignore
    warnings of the above security features, but not turn them off.
    Perhaps I should go to AVG on this.<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    >> <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Run both.
    >>>
    >>>Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more
    >>>or
    >>>less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit
    >>>blurry,
    >>>these are two different areas of malware.
    >>>
    >>>Saucy
    >>>
    >>>
    >>><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>>news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...
    >>>> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >>>> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >>>> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >>>> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>>>
    >>>> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >>>> antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    news:1t3o951vatumks0d7munvjnrs5jinjnu84@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:53:46 -0400, "webster72n"
    > <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>news:954n95lfuok3afrnm7jj0ckfe5bdjfs0i7@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    >>> email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    >>> see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    >>> altogether.
    >>>
    >>> Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    >>> looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    >>> help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>Avast lets you manipulate all of its features and I am sure AVG does the
    >>same, without the need to uninstall the entire program.
    >>Did you look into it?
    >>
    >>Harry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Yes. That's what I have been saying. The only control I can find is
    > under advanced tools > ignore faulty conditions. This lets me ignore
    > warnings of the above security features, but not turn them off.
    > Perhaps I should go to AVG on this.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Are you saying there is no way to access the various features of AVG?
    If so, then I would uninstall it and go with another compatible program.
    My preference was Avast, but they will cease to be free at the end of the
    year to my understanding. You can google for one.
    Sorry about that.

    Harry.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    >>> <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Run both.
    >>>>
    >>>>Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product
    >>>>more
    >>>>or
    >>>>less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit
    >>>>blurry,
    >>>>these are two different areas of malware.
    >>>>
    >>>>Saucy
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>>>news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...
    >>>>> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >>>>> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >>>>> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >>>>> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >>>>> antispyware. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. You can safely run more than one Antispyware Program on the same machine.
    You should not try to run more than one Antivirus Program on the same machine.
    AVG and Windows Defender get along just fine together. What one misses the other picks up.

    <August@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:1t3o951vatumks0d7munvjnrs5jinjnu84@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:53:46 -0400, "webster72n"
    > <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>news:954n95lfuok3afrnm7jj0ckfe5bdjfs0i7@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    >>> email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    >>> see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    >>> altogether.
    >>>
    >>> Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    >>> looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    >>> help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>Avast lets you manipulate all of its features and I am sure AVG does the
    >>same, without the need to uninstall the entire program.
    >>Did you look into it?
    >>
    >>Harry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Yes. That's what I have been saying. The only control I can find is
    > under advanced tools > ignore faulty conditions. This lets me ignore
    > warnings of the above security features, but not turn them off.
    > Perhaps I should go to AVG on this.<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    >>> <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Run both.
    >>>>
    >>>>Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more
    >>>>or
    >>>>less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit
    >>>>blurry,
    >>>>these are two different areas of malware.
    >>>>
    >>>>Saucy
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>>>news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...
    >>>>> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >>>>> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >>>>> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >>>>> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >>>>> antispyware.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  11. Thank you sir. That is really all I wanted to know.

    On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:07:39 -0700, "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >You can safely run more than one Antispyware Program on the same machine.
    >You should not try to run more than one Antivirus Program on the same machine.
    >AVG and Windows Defender get along just fine together. What one misses the other picks up.
    >
    ><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:1t3o951vatumks0d7munvjnrs5jinjnu84@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:53:46 -0400, "webster72n"
    >> <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>>news:954n95lfuok3afrnm7jj0ckfe5bdjfs0i7@4ax.com...
    >>>> AVG 8.5.409 lists as "security features" anti-virus, anti-spyware,
    >>>> email scanner, link scanner, and resident shield among others. I don't
    >>>> see a way to disable the individual features without disabling AVG
    >>>> altogether.
    >>>>
    >>>> Running both hasn't been a problem. Computer seems healthy. Just
    >>>> looking for tweaks and wanting to keep Windows happy. Thanks for your
    >>>> help.
    >>>
    >>>Avast lets you manipulate all of its features and I am sure AVG does the
    >>>same, without the need to uninstall the entire program.
    >>>Did you look into it?
    >>>
    >>>Harry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Yes. That's what I have been saying. The only control I can find is
    >> under advanced tools > ignore faulty conditions. This lets me ignore
    >> warnings of the above security features, but not turn them off.
    >> Perhaps I should go to AVG on this.<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:33 -0400, "Saucy"
    >>>> <saucylemon@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Run both.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Grisoft's AVG is an anti-virus program whereas the Microsoft product more
    >>>>>or
    >>>>>less concentrates on detecting "spyware". While the lines are a bit
    >>>>>blurry,
    >>>>>these are two different areas of malware.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Saucy
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>><August@yahoo.net> wrote in message
    >>>>>news:8kbl95dkjgn2l28765ir8tvgi57jr810jo@4ax.com...
    >>>>>> In my security section in the control panel it says "Windows Defender
    >>>>>> and AVG antivirus both report they are turned on."
    >>>>>> Note : Running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can
    >>>>>> cause your computer to run slowly.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Which one should I disable? I don't see a way to disable AVG free
    >>>>>> antispyware.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page