1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows constantly reboots itself

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by debrahudson59, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. Just recently windows has started to reboot itself after sitting idle
    for a while. I just got this computer in January of this year so it came
    with Vista preloaded and I am relly getting frustrated with this. I
    thought it might be virus associated but Norton does not report
    anything. I am really new at seeking help in a forum so please bare with
    me. I do not know what information is needed for someone to help me
    solve this but I will post whatever is needed.


    --
    debrahudson59
     
  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

  3. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    debrahudson59 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Just recently windows has started to reboot itself after sitting idle
    >for a while. I just got this computer in January of this year so it came
    >with Vista preloaded and I am relly getting frustrated with this. I
    >thought it might be virus associated but Norton does not report
    >anything. I am really new at seeking help in a forum so please bare with
    >me. I do not know what information is needed for someone to help me
    >solve this but I will post whatever is needed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Your computer should still be covered by warranty. You should contact
    the support service and see what they say before that warranty
    expires.
     
  4. Guest

    In Control Panel choose Problem Reports and Solutions (type problem in
    Start's searchbox), right click your error and choose Check For Solution.
    You can also examine the details.

    In Administrative Tools choose Reliability and Performance Monitor and
    choose Monitoring Tools - Reliability Monitor (type Reliability in search on
    Start). This list a chart of software installs, uninstalls, Windows updates,
    and crashes. See if your crashes started happening after you installed or
    uninstalled something.

    Have you run memory diagnostic (Control Panel in classic mode -
    Administrative Tools - Memory Diagnostic Tool) also type in a command prompt
    (checks the disk and takes hours to run -do it overnight or when at work).

    chkdsk c: /r

    Then (repairs damaged system files)

    sfc /scannow


    --
    ..
    --
    "debrahudson59" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:4005592b49e7b414f6d69795d7670dfa@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Just recently windows has started to reboot itself after sitting idle
    > for a while. I just got this computer in January of this year so it came
    > with Vista preloaded and I am relly getting frustrated with this. I
    > thought it might be virus associated but Norton does not report
    > anything. I am really new at seeking help in a forum so please bare with
    > me. I do not know what information is needed for someone to help me
    > solve this but I will post whatever is needed.
    >
    >
    > --
    > debrahudson59 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. debrahudson59 wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Just recently windows has started to reboot itself after sitting idle
    > for a while. I just got this computer in January of this year so it came
    > with Vista preloaded and I am relly getting frustrated with this. I
    > thought it might be virus associated but Norton does not report
    > anything. I am really new at seeking help in a forum so please bare with
    > me. I do not know what information is needed for someone to help me
    > solve this but I will post whatever is needed.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    The computer is still under software warranty. You should contact the
    computer manufacture that preloaded Vista on the machine.
     
  6. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

  7. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:25:15 -0500, debrahudson59
    <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Just recently windows has started to reboot itself after sitting idle
    >for a while. I just got this computer in January of this year so it came
    >with Vista preloaded and I am relly getting frustrated with this. I
    >thought it might be virus associated but Norton does not report
    >anything. I am really new at seeking help in a forum so please bare with
    >me. I do not know what information is needed for someone to help me
    >solve this but I will post whatever is needed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Check the Event Log and see what it says. My experience with
    spontaneous reboots is that they are almost always a hardware issue.

    Start -> settings -> control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event
    Viewer -> Windows Logs.

    Stretch the window out a bit to see the log entries in the center
    panel. You might want to right click on the logs and clear them out,
    then watch for the next crash.
     

Share This Page