1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 Install over Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Saint, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. Saint

    Saint Guest

    I am sorry that this is a little off topic but hope to find an answer to
    this question, I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with Windows Vista Home
    Premium x64 installed, I also have the CD'S to re-install Vista and all
    programs that came with the computer when I bought it.

    I have pre-ordered Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and will receive
    it October 22 or when it's released, my question is this....

    Will I be able to do a clean install on my computer where Windows 7 software
    re-formats my hard drive and takes everything off my hard drive and then
    installs Windows 7, I really would like to do this if possible, or will I
    only be able to install Windows 7 premium over Windows Vista Premium that
    is on my computer.

    Any help with this question is very appreciated,
    Steve
     
  2. Saint

    Saint Guest

    Thanks for the information I use Genie Backup Manager Pro and have all my
    personal files and programs backed up to a 500-GB external hard drive I will
    do a backup just before I install Windows 7.
    Steve

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
    news:7g6c8dF2o2gfjU1@mid.individual.net...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > You will be able to do either.... it's your choice. Just remember to
    > backup everything that is not part of Vista because a clean install will
    > format your hard drive.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >
    >
    >
    > "Saint" <slstdenis@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > news:5CB3E077-6018-44F8-B44B-C276367EB895@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>I am sorry that this is a little off topic but hope to find an answer to
    >>this question, I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with Windows Vista Home
    >>Premium x64 installed, I also have the CD'S to re-install Vista and all
    >>programs that came with the computer when I bought it.
    >>
    >> I have pre-ordered Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and will
    >> receive it October 22 or when it's released, my question is this....
    >>
    >> Will I be able to do a clean install on my computer where Windows 7
    >> software re-formats my hard drive and takes everything off my hard drive
    >> and then installs Windows 7, I really would like to do this if possible,
    >> or will I only be able to install Windows 7 premium over Windows Vista
    >> Premium that is on my computer.
    >>
    >> Any help with this question is very appreciated,
    >> Steve
    >>
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. LVTravel

    LVTravel Guest

    "Saint" <slstdenis@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    news:1909287B-8784-495C-8F5D-CC201E8F40BB@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks for the information I use Genie Backup Manager Pro and have all my
    > personal files and programs backed up to a 500-GB external hard drive I
    > will do a backup just before I install Windows 7.
    > Steve
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > news:7g6c8dF2o2gfjU1@mid.individual.net...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> You will be able to do either.... it's your choice. Just remember to
    >> backup everything that is not part of Vista because a clean install will
    >> format your hard drive.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Saint" <slstdenis@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> news:5CB3E077-6018-44F8-B44B-C276367EB895@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>I am sorry that this is a little off topic but hope to find an answer to
    >>>this question, I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with Windows Vista Home
    >>>Premium x64 installed, I also have the CD'S to re-install Vista and all
    >>>programs that came with the computer when I bought it.
    >>>
    >>> I have pre-ordered Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and will
    >>> receive it October 22 or when it's released, my question is this....
    >>>
    >>> Will I be able to do a clean install on my computer where Windows 7
    >>> software re-formats my hard drive and takes everything off my hard drive
    >>> and then installs Windows 7, I really would like to do this if possible,
    >>> or will I only be able to install Windows 7 premium over Windows Vista
    >>> Premium that is on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> Any help with this question is very appreciated,
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The only backup of programs that will be beneficial to you would be custom
    setup information files as the programs themselves will have to be
    reinstalled from the original install media once Win 7 has been installed.

    The issue you may have with "all the programs that came with the computer"
    is that if they were on the rebuild disks provided by the computer
    manufacturer you won't be able to pull out those programs from the rebuild
    media and install them under Win 7. The included programs would have to be
    on individual install media (the programs actually have a separate setup.exe
    file (or similar) to be able to be installed on the computer's operating
    system. Ensure that you have all the required installation/activation keys
    for the programs you will reinstall.

    Ensure that you also download and copy to some type of external media (usb
    or cd/dvd) all the Win 7 drivers prior for your computer prior to attempting
    the installation. While Win 7 install disk may have all the drivers you
    need it is always better to be safe than sorry.
     

Share This Page