1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Win7 Upgrade prob

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by LMO, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. LMO

    LMO Guest

    Aloha all.
    I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it checks
    compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system to the
    Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD Athlon 64x2
    Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    Thanks.
     
  2. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    > checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    > to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    > Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Just because your hardware is capable of 64-bit operation, doesn't mean
    you're running 64-bit software now. In order to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit,
    you have to be running a 64-bit OS now. Are you?

    Tom Lake
     
  3. milt

    milt Guest

    LMO wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    > checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit
    > system to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit
    > (AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    > Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    > correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    > Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. You will have to do a
    clean install.
     
  4. Mr.Pancks

    Mr.Pancks Guest

    milt wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > LMO wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit
    >> system to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit
    >> (AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. You will have to do a
    > clean install.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Or,upgrade to Linux.
    It will gladly clean Vista's clock.
     
  5. Drew

    Drew Guest

    The problem is more likely you are running a 32 bit system on your 64 bit
    hardware. If you check your system properties under system type does it show
    64 bit or 32 bit? If it shows the latter then you will have to choose clean
    install in order for you to run a 64 bit op system. I think that if it tells
    you that you cannot upgrade to 64 bit than you are definitely running a 32
    bit system! Just my 3 cents..

    Good luck!


    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    > checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    > to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    > Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    > Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    > correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    > Thanks. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:54:14 -1000, "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it checks
    > compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system to the
    > Win 7 64 bit system.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    That's correct, but let me clarify it. You can not upgrade a 32-bit
    *operating* system to a 64-bit one. You have to clean install the
    64-bit operating system.


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD Athlon 64x2
    > Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You've described your hardware, not your operating system. Almost
    certainly, based on what you've said, you are running 32-bit Vista on
    that 64-bit-capable hardware.


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    > correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    > Thanks. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  7. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Aloha all.
    >I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it checks
    >compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system to the
    >Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD Athlon 64x2
    >Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    But your version of Windows is NOT 64-bit, so you have to run a clean
    install.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >Thanks. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. And that is correct - the message has nothing to do with your hardware, it
    is referring to the currently installed version of Windows. If you are
    running a 32-bit version of Windows now you cannot install the 64-bit
    version as an upgrade. This has been the case since Windows XP.

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    > checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    > to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    > Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    > Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    > correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    > Thanks. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Aloha all.
    > I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    > checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    > to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    > Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    > Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    > correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    > Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1F3BAAA3-8483-4944-BAC0-14F429AEBD39@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    >> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Just because your hardware is capable of 64-bit operation, doesn't mean
    > you're running 64-bit software now. In order to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit,
    > you have to be running a 64-bit OS now. Are you?
    >
    > Tom Lake <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  11. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "Drew" <aylen1957@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    news:7B8F15FA-22F5-4FE3-B06F-583584549957@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > The problem is more likely you are running a 32 bit system on your 64 bit
    > hardware. If you check your system properties under system type does it
    > show 64 bit or 32 bit? If it shows the latter then you will have to choose
    > clean install in order for you to run a 64 bit op system. I think that if
    > it tells you that you cannot upgrade to 64 bit than you are definitely
    > running a 32 bit system! Just my 3 cents..
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    >> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  12. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    news:ljraa5d5tsfp591isl9pbf4cvi1v73ootf@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:54:14 -1000, "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks
    >> compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system to the
    >> Win 7 64 bit system.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > That's correct, but let me clarify it. You can not upgrade a 32-bit
    > *operating* system to a 64-bit one. You have to clean install the
    > 64-bit operating system.
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD Athlon 64x2
    >> Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > You've described your hardware, not your operating system. Almost
    > certainly, based on what you've said, you are running 32-bit Vista on
    > that 64-bit-capable hardware.
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:fiuaa5trfkdl83lopmi7c9dom5lvrnoms8@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Aloha all.
    >>I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >>checks
    >>compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system to the
    >>Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD Athlon 64x2
    >>Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > But your version of Windows is NOT 64-bit, so you have to run a clean
    > install.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >>correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >>Thanks. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  14. LMO

    LMO Guest

    My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any other
    ideas why it won't upgrade?
    Thanks.

    "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    news:E8E17A42-A79C-461E-81D4-5E542F6056D0@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > And that is correct - the message has nothing to do with your hardware, it
    > is referring to the currently installed version of Windows. If you are
    > running a 32-bit version of Windows now you cannot install the 64-bit
    > version as an upgrade. This has been the case since Windows XP.
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    >> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  15. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h8434u$j2d$2@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any
    > other ideas why it won't upgrade?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Aloha all.
    >> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    >> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Well, jerkweed, you've gotten your point across....multiple times.
    Now you can do a Google/Bing search. I doubt anyone here will offer you
    help now. I'm willing to bet you're running Vista 32bit.

    --

    Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
     
  16. On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:19:20 -0400, "Michael"
    <the_real_mike@garbagemail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >"LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h8434u$j2d$2@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any
    >> other ideas why it won't upgrade?
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Aloha all.
    >>> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >>> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit system
    >>> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >>> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >>> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >>> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >>> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >Well, jerkweed, you've gotten your point across....multiple times.
    >Now you can do a Google/Bing search. I doubt anyone here will offer you
    >help now. I'm willing to bet you're running Vista 32bit.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You're the jerk. he was just replying to each person, he has no way
    to know if they will read all of the other replies or just ones to
    their own posts.
     
  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Ashton Crusher" <demi@moore.net> wrote in message
    news:b5aba5d9jfdg07hg7loq93cubhtjcbah3j@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:19:20 -0400, "Michael"
    > <the_real_mike@garbagemail.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >>"LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h8434u$j2d$2@aioe.org...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any
    >>> other ideas why it won't upgrade?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...
    >>>> Aloha all.
    >>>> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >>>> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit
    >>>> system
    >>>> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >>>> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >>>> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >>>> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >>>> Thanks.
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>Well, jerkweed, you've gotten your point across....multiple times.
    >>Now you can do a Google/Bing search. I doubt anyone here will offer you
    >>help now. I'm willing to bet you're running Vista 32bit.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > You're the jerk. he was just replying to each person, he has no way
    > to know if they will read all of the other replies or just ones to
    > their own posts.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Compliments will get you nowhere.

    --

    Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
     
  18. LMO

    LMO Guest

    Well, Dickweed, you're wrong. I'm running a 64 bit Vista OS. Pay up and shut
    up!

    "Michael" <the_real_mike@garbagemail.com> wrote in message
    news:ep7dvnBMKHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h8434u$j2d$2@aioe.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any
    >> other ideas why it won't upgrade?
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h83ksd$12t$1@aioe.org...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Aloha all.
    >>> I am trying to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. However, when it
    >>> checks compatability issues, it tells me I cannot upgrade a 32 bit
    >>> system
    >>> to the Win 7 64 bit system. Problem is my Vista system IS 64 bit (AMD
    >>> Athlon 64x2 Dual Core @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista SP2).
    >>> Anyone know why this is happening, and if there is anything I can do to
    >>> correct this problem, or do I just return the Win7 package?
    >>> Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Well, jerkweed, you've gotten your point across....multiple times.
    > Now you can do a Google/Bing search. I doubt anyone here will offer you
    > help now. I'm willing to bet you're running Vista 32bit.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    > If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
    >
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  19. Rich

    Rich Guest

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Well, ------, you're wrong. I'm running a 64 bit Vista OS. Pay up and shut
    > up!<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    .... then upgrade it fool.

    man .. thank you, that guy was born for linux.


    Rich
     
  20. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "LMO" <lmo01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h8434u$j2d$2@aioe.org...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > My system IS 64 bit OS. System Info says 64 Bit Operating System. Any
    > other ideas why it won't upgrade?
    > Thanks.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Try posting in the Windows 7 forums:
    Windows 7 Forum:

     

Share This Page