1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Whirlpool Dehumidifier Vibration Noise Frustration

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jaugustine@verizon.net, Sep 15, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    Less than two years ago, I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier model
    AD50DSS2. This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. I wanted a manual
    control type because I built my own controller which wouldn't work with
    electronic control dehumidifiers. Note: It is hard to find a manual control
    type of dehumidifier, which was common years ago.

    I became very disappointed with it because of the vibration noise. The
    noise isn't there all the time. I called Whirlpool about the vibration
    noise, and they sent a service man. He opened up the unit and checked for
    loose components. He put some kind of compound down where the compressor
    is located. It seemed to fix the problem at first, but after he left, the
    noise was back. I will spare you the details regarding the number of times I
    worked on this "infernal machine". Note: I am a consumer products
    service technician (repair TVs, etc.). It seems as though the "housing"
    (cabinet) resonates with the compressor vibration, thus "amplifying" the
    vibration noise. If I squeeze on the sides of the cabinet, the noise goes
    down. The degree of vibration noise seems to be dependent on the room
    temperature and humidity.

    I can't tell you how many times I felt like getting the sledge hammer
    and using it to fix the noise permanently, but where would I find a
    manual control, 50 pint dehumidifier?

    Before this Whirlpool, I had a quiet Goldstar dehumidifier (manual
    control) for many years. Eventually the compressor went bad. I was told it
    would be too expensive to get it repaired. Unfortunately, I put it out for
    trash, and I bought this Whirlpool.

    The reason I posted this is to warn you if you are thinking about buying
    a dehumidifier, go with another brand.

    John

    PS, Email address is not valid.
     
  2. Malke

    Malke Guest

    jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > Less than two years ago, I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier model
    > AD50DSS2. This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. I wanted a manual<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    (snip)

    And you thought this was a good idea to post in a technical support
    newsgroup for the Windows Vista operating system? I can't imagine why.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  3. Ex_Brit

    Ex_Brit Guest

  4. Bigguy

    Bigguy Guest

    jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > Less than two years ago, I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier model
    > AD50DSS2. This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. I wanted a manual
    > control type because I built my own controller which wouldn't work with
    > electronic control dehumidifiers. Note: It is hard to find a manual control
    > type of dehumidifier, which was common years ago.
    >
    > I became very disappointed with it because of the vibration noise. The
    > noise isn't there all the time. I called Whirlpool about the vibration
    > noise, and they sent a service man. He opened up the unit and checked for
    > loose components. He put some kind of compound down where the compressor
    > is located. It seemed to fix the problem at first, but after he left, the
    > noise was back. I will spare you the details regarding the number of times I
    > worked on this "infernal machine". Note: I am a consumer products
    > service technician (repair TVs, etc.). It seems as though the "housing"
    > (cabinet) resonates with the compressor vibration, thus "amplifying" the
    > vibration noise. If I squeeze on the sides of the cabinet, the noise goes
    > down. The degree of vibration noise seems to be dependent on the room
    > temperature and humidity.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I believe most of these issues will be fixed in the Windows 7 version...
    ;-)


    G
     
  5. B. D. Reagan

    B. D. Reagan Guest

    That's funny; I was just talking with someone about a dehumidifier, yesterday. Now, if we talk further about it, I have one caveat
    to share from the most unexpected place!

    <jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote in message news:nquua59ne65r8h494g53a24htbtfqb55s4@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > Less than two years ago, I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier model
    > AD50DSS2. This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. I wanted a manual
    > control type because I built my own controller which wouldn't work with
    > electronic control dehumidifiers. Note: It is hard to find a manual control
    > type of dehumidifier, which was common years ago.
    >
    > I became very disappointed with it because of the vibration noise. The
    > noise isn't there all the time. I called Whirlpool about the vibration
    > noise, and they sent a service man. He opened up the unit and checked for
    > loose components. He put some kind of compound down where the compressor
    > is located. It seemed to fix the problem at first, but after he left, the
    > noise was back. I will spare you the details regarding the number of times I
    > worked on this "infernal machine". Note: I am a consumer products
    > service technician (repair TVs, etc.). It seems as though the "housing"
    > (cabinet) resonates with the compressor vibration, thus "amplifying" the
    > vibration noise. If I squeeze on the sides of the cabinet, the noise goes
    > down. The degree of vibration noise seems to be dependent on the room
    > temperature and humidity.
    >
    > I can't tell you how many times I felt like getting the sledge hammer
    > and using it to fix the noise permanently, but where would I find a
    > manual control, 50 pint dehumidifier?
    >
    > Before this Whirlpool, I had a quiet Goldstar dehumidifier (manual
    > control) for many years. Eventually the compressor went bad. I was told it
    > would be too expensive to get it repaired. Unfortunately, I put it out for
    > trash, and I bought this Whirlpool.
    >
    > The reason I posted this is to warn you if you are thinking about buying
    > a dehumidifier, go with another brand.
    >
    > John
    >
    > PS, Email address is not valid.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page