1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Vista64 and MS Flight Simulator X Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SnakeEyes, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. SnakeEyes

    SnakeEyes Guest

    Hi everyone. I'm using Vista64 Home Premium for one application only,
    and that is Microsoft Flight SimulatorX.
    I am currently facing a problem which is baffling me and perhaps you
    advise me on how to deal with it. Try to follow me with this
    description:

    I want to change an aircraft's configuration by amending one of the
    flight simulator's files. The file uses the 'Notepad' format.
    Following the amendment, I click 'Save' and I get a popup telling me
    it will not save this file; that I cannot create the string of
    information I need, and forces me to close without saving. Therefore,
    I can't change the configuration of the aircraft, even in a minor
    way. The amendments to configuration files were done easily using XP
    in the past.

    I am logged on as administrator and am at a complete loss at the
    moment. Should you have some knowledge as to how I can amend and save
    the 'notepad' configuration file within Flight Simulator X, I would be
    very pleased.

    Arthur
     
  2. Here's what SnakeEyes wrote on 9/04/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi everyone. I'm using Vista64 Home Premium for one application only,
    > and that is Microsoft Flight SimulatorX.
    > I am currently facing a problem which is baffling me and perhaps you
    > advise me on how to deal with it. Try to follow me with this
    > description:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I want to change an aircraft's configuration by amending one of the
    > flight simulator's files. The file uses the 'Notepad' format.
    > Following the amendment, I click 'Save' and I get a popup telling me
    > it will not save this file; that I cannot create the string of
    > information I need, and forces me to close without saving. Therefore,
    > I can't change the configuration of the aircraft, even in a minor
    > way. The amendments to configuration files were done easily using XP
    > in the past.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am logged on as administrator and am at a complete loss at the
    > moment. Should you have some knowledge as to how I can amend and save
    > the 'notepad' configuration file within Flight Simulator X, I would be
    > very pleased.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Arthur<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Right click on the Notepad shortcut and choose run as administrator,
    then use File - Open inside of Notepad to open the file.

    BTW, the file is not in "Notepad format", it is in text format. Any
    text editor will do the job...

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  3. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    "SnakeEyes" <agalspector@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:079b310a-e582-4c9e-85c9-2b0676567ca7@h13g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi everyone. I'm using Vista64 Home Premium for one application only,
    > and that is Microsoft Flight SimulatorX.
    > I am currently facing a problem which is baffling me and perhaps you
    > advise me on how to deal with it. Try to follow me with this
    > description:
    >
    > I want to change an aircraft's configuration by amending one of the
    > flight simulator's files. The file uses the 'Notepad' format.
    > Following the amendment, I click 'Save' and I get a popup telling me
    > it will not save this file; that I cannot create the string of
    > information I need, and forces me to close without saving. Therefore,
    > I can't change the configuration of the aircraft, even in a minor
    > way. The amendments to configuration files were done easily using XP
    > in the past.
    >
    > I am logged on as administrator and am at a complete loss at the
    > moment. Should you have some knowledge as to how I can amend and save
    > the 'notepad' configuration file within Flight Simulator X, I would be
    > very pleased.
    >
    > Arthur<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hey Arthur, what are you doing here? Why haven't you asked
    about this in our group? Which plane are you having the problem
    with? I assume you have backed up the original .cfg file before
    the mod. Any changes to the file itself in Notepad should have no
    bearing on being able to save it. What is the exact message you're
    getting? Your post isn't quite clear, but are you trying to do this
    while FSX is running?

    It may not be related to your problem, but I have found that FSX
    has some peculiarities in Vista, when trying to do desktop stuff
    with the sim running and switching back and forth. It's not as bad
    with 64 bit as it is with 32 bit. It definitely looks like an nVidia
    driver issue, although it has improved with later releases.

    On another topic, are you going to the show this weekend? The
    weather should be excellent, and the Blue Angels will perform.
     
  4. SnakeEyes

    SnakeEyes Guest

    On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, "Ian D" <tau...@nowhereatall.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hey Arthur, what are you doing here?  Why haven't you asked
    > about this in our group?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    This is the same problem I had changing the sound in the 747 file and
    couldn't. I presented the problem in AGMFS, and was advised to
    install the new sounds in the 737 file and the 747 file would emulate
    it. I wasn't advised how to save the changes in the .cfg file.

     Which plane are you having the problem<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > with?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    All of them, I guess, but now I want to change the panel in the 747.


    I assume you have backed up the original .cfg file before<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > the mod.  Any changes to the file itself in Notepad should have no
    > bearing on being able to save it.  What is the exact message you're
    > getting?  Your post isn't quite clear, but are you trying to do this
    > while FSX is running?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I know my post isn't clear because I'm having trouble explaining
    it......sorry....I'm just not a good techie.<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > It may not be related to your problem, but I have found that FSX
    > has some peculiarities in Vista, when trying to do desktop stuff
    > with the sim running and switching back and forth.  It's not as bad
    > with 64 bit as it is with 32 bit.  It definitely looks like an nVidia
    > driver issue, although it has improved with later releases.
    >
    > On another topic, are you going to the show this weekend?  The
    > weather should be excellent, and the Blue Angels will perform'<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I saw the Blue Angels fly over my supermarket this afternoon......very
    impressive, especially when they stopped for milk : )

    I'm thinking of trying to get down to the lake either Saturday or
    Sunday but I don't want to go into the Exhibition. 1. It's crowded
    2. It'll cost me $15 + another $15 for the wife. I would rather
    spend the money on a new payware aircraft I have in mind.

    I know the folks here won't know what I'm talking about and I'm sorry.

    I love Vista64 but it occasionally drives me nuts working with it.
    As the great Arnold said, "I'll be back!"

    Thank you Gene for your advice....I'm going to try it.

    Arthur

    P.S. Ian, what are you doing here?
     

Share This Page