1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Vista partially freezing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Xurs, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Xurs

    Xurs Guest

    Hello,

    I noticed some threads about Vista freezing, but looks like it's not
    exactly what I have. Every now and then, my Vista freezes partially. It
    did that about 40 minutes ago and it's in that state at the moment. I
    was starting Notepad from Quick Launch (its icon is still "pushed down")
    and doing something as ordinary when everything between the Start button
    (bottom left on my screen) from system clock/date (bottom right on my
    screen) froze. This includes Quick Launch, the application windows and
    tray as well. Also, my MSN crashed and my Firefox wasn't able to connect
    to any site (though other browsers worked well). In addition to that
    most programs don't seem to start, most programs won't shut down if
    closed and task manager freezes too if it's used to kill a process (no,
    the process doesn't die either).

    However, I succesfully closed this browser before and started it again
    during the freeze, so it doesn't affect everything. (This is old Mozilla
    Firebird in case someone's interested.) And yes, the desktop works, I
    started this browser from a shortcut on it.

    Sometimes I've seen that Vista system administrator verification thing
    appearing (about something else, like it was stuck before) after I
    choose to shut down the computer (computer shutting after the dialog is
    closed), sometimes it shuts with time and sometimes I need to manually
    press the power switch.

    I've seen speculations about it being some leaking utility in Vista or
    possibly antivirus software or firewall. I'm running AntiVir and
    ZoneAlarm at the moment. (I experienced even more severe freezes while
    using Avast! a year ago. Those ended after I uninstalled it.) Anyway,
    after seeing that administration verification thing popping up when
    shutting down sometimes, I'm thinking it could maybe be partially on,
    but bugging. Anything to try that possibility?

    I'd use ProcessExplorer for more information, but the explorer window I
    try to start it from just freezes and it doesn't start.

    And in case you wonder if long uptime could cause this - I switched the
    computer on approximately 12 hours ago. The longest uptime I've had with
    pretty much same set-up of programs is something like 35 days, so this
    freeze seems to be quite random.

    Normally, the computer works normally after booting. Let's see what
    happens this time.


    --
    Xurs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Xurs's Profile:
    View this thread:


     
  2. Xurs

    Xurs Guest

    When I chose to shut down the computer from the Start Menu, I had two or
    three Task Managers hanging, and couldn't kill them with Process
    Explorer. Basically everything else seemed to work OK.

    After I pressed the button, it started to log out normally. However, at
    a late phase of it, the bottom bar turned into what it was during the
    freeze. It showed exactly same things on it, the programs, the tray,
    even the notepad icon was "pressed down". I think that normally the
    whole bar just disappears during log out, right? It didn't show anything
    else, but when I pressed Enter after waiting a while, a hanging Task
    Manager window appeared. When trying to close it (by pressing X on the
    corner), a window appeared. Its title was "Microsoft Windows" and it
    told me the program hangs, but could respond if I wait and gave me two
    choices, to exit it or to cancel. Exitting did nothing, the window just
    remained there without even blinking. Then I tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del
    combination and tried opening new Task Manager. However, it only
    returned to same; that Task Bar ghost and hanging Task Manager window.
    Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del again did nothing. Additionally, after waiting a
    while, the screen went black for few seconds. That is also something
    I've seen before.

    After waiting a bit more it started to look certain it's not going to
    shut down on its own. I used the power button to shut it down and
    restart it. During startup it gave the dialog about non-clean shutdown
    and options to start in normal or safe mode. I chose normal and it
    started OK, with no problems. I used some programs for a while and went
    to bed. Today it started OK again, no problems whatsoever.

    So, killing explorer.exe (if it can be done) seems to unfreeze at least
    many parts of it. However, why does the hanging Task Manager window
    stay? Problems with killing processes can cause it?

    Because I've faced odd problems before with unkillable processes. In
    that situation, the process is listed in Task Manager but it just won't
    die. Not by Process Explorer or this other tool I tried, Process Killer.
    The process just stays there despite how many times you've tried to kill
    it. It's happened with three programs, all of which are run without
    special privileges.
    - Utopia Angel, a game utility did this once, and it wasn't possible
    to run it with the ghost process.
    - Mozilla Firebird, the older version of Firefox mysteriously crashed
    and Vista didn't handle the crash correctly causing mysterious results
    and the process being unkillable. Happened maybe twice.
    - Half-Life, a game launcer crashes often due some bugs related to
    Microsoft Virtual C/C++ library. Quite often several instances of it
    stay in the processes.

    None of these die until the computer is restarted. The computer
    restarts normally when these processes are unkillable.

    And in case you want specs, I have 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium on
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ and 2 GB of memory.


    --
    Xurs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Xurs's Profile:
    View this thread:


     

Share This Page