1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Vista Issue - Cannot Install Software from CD & will not update filelisting

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Usenet User, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. Usenet User

    Usenet User Guest

    I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from MS.

    First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the
    CD, but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.

    Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in a
    completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD
    I tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of
    the new CD no matter what I do.

    Never encountered this before. All drivers are also up to date. Any
    solution? Something I am missing in setting up Vista?

    Thanks,

    Duffy
     
  2. Flavius

    Flavius Guest

    Usenet User;1128520 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from
    > MS.
    >
    > First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the
    > CD, but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.
    >
    > Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in
    > a
    > completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD
    > I tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of
    > the new CD no matter what I do.
    >
    > Never encountered this before. All drivers are also up to date. Any
    > solution? Something I am missing in setting up Vista?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Duffy<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    Update driver for DVD.If still no help use these MS diagnostics:
    'Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media'
    ()
    and
    'Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows
    or other programs' (
    )


    --
    Flavius
     
  3. Re: Vista Issue - Cannot Install Software from CD & will not updatefile listing

    Usenet User wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from MS.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    In addition to the potential solutions provided by Flavius, there might
    be other factors to keep in mind.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the
    > CD, but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Are these applications specifically designed to install and run on
    Vista? If not, it may be necessary to first right-click on the
    installation executable (usually Setup.exe) and set the Compatibility
    Mode for an earlier version of Windows, preferably the version for which
    the application was originally designed, and to check the "Run as
    Administrator" option, even though you may already be logged into an
    account with administrative privileges.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in a
    > completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD
    > I tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of
    > the new CD no matter what I do.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Another, albeit somewhat rare, possibility is that the sensor inside
    the optical drive is dirty/sticking, worn, or out of alignment, and is
    not detecting that the disk has been changed.



    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:




    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

    The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
     
  4. Re: Vista Issue - Cannot Install Software from CD & will not update file listing

    My first best guess is that the drive is damaged and in need of replacement.
    Opening and closing the door should ordinarily cause Windows to re-detect
    the disc. Cleaning the drive may help but I would just replace the drive.

    "Usenet User" <me@here.now> wrote in message
    news:#HYmg2XLKHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from MS.
    >
    > First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the CD,
    > but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.
    >
    > Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in a
    > completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD I
    > tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of the
    > new CD no matter what I do.
    >
    > Never encountered this before. All drivers are also up to date. Any
    > solution? Something I am missing in setting up Vista?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Duffy <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Usenet User

    Usenet User Guest

    Re: Vista Issue - Cannot Install Software from CD & will not updatefilelisting

    Yes, Vista is correctly identifying the correct DVD drive. It says it
    has the latest driver.

    The DVD did install Vista and the drive is a Sony and it is brand new.

    It will not install any software....even software designed for Vista.
    However, as previously mentioned, it did install Vista just fine. Go
    figure.

    I ran the MS automated fix-it and it says it cannot find a problem.

    I am at a loss.

    Duffy

    Flavius wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Usenet User;1128520 Wrote: <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from
    >> MS.
    >>
    >> First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the
    >> CD, but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.
    >>
    >> Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in
    >> a
    >> completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD
    >> I tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of
    >> the new CD no matter what I do.
    >>
    >> Never encountered this before. All drivers are also up to date. Any
    >> solution? Something I am missing in setting up Vista?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Duffy<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > Update driver for DVD.If still no help use these MS diagnostics:
    > 'Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media'
    > ()
    > and
    > 'Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows
    > or other programs' (
    )
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    Re: Vista Issue - Cannot Install Software from CD & will not update file listing

    If none of the other suggestions helped, there may be a program missing in
    your setup: the 'Software Manager' I believe it's called and provided by
    Macrovision.
    It was already on my machine when bought new, a Dell Inspiron 530S
    with Windows Vista Home Premium.
    It might be worth a try, otherwise: discard.

    Harry.



    "Usenet User" <me@here.now> wrote in message
    news:#HYmg2XLKHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a new installation of Vista. It has all the latest updates from MS.
    >
    > First, it will not install applications from the CD. It will read the CD,
    > but setup.exe always fails and Vista unable to find a solution.
    >
    > Now here is something interesting. When I then eject the CD and put in a
    > completely different CD, it still shows the contents of the original CD I
    > tried to install. I cannot get the window to update the contents of the
    > new CD no matter what I do.
    >
    > Never encountered this before. All drivers are also up to date. Any
    > solution? Something I am missing in setting up Vista?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Duffy <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page