1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Vista 64-bit and XP simultaneously

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MAT, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. MAT

    MAT Guest

    Recently I bought a new PC (stationary) with Vista 64-bit.
    From the old PC with windows XP I have a harddisc which I´m going to use as
    a second drive in the new Vista 64-bit PC.
    Could there be any problems just to install the old harddisc with the old
    files from the XP-PC, or should I format the old harddisc before using it?
     
  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "MAT" <non-exit@non-exit.com> wrote in message
    news:u%23rZCeJMKHA.5192@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Recently I bought a new PC (stationary) with Vista 64-bit.
    > From the old PC with windows XP I have a harddisc which I´m going to use
    > as a second drive in the new Vista 64-bit PC.
    > Could there be any problems just to install the old harddisc with the old
    > files from the XP-PC, or should I format the old harddisc before using it?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    There could be problems but there needn't be.

    You can do either. Shrink the original partition keeping your files,
    install XP on another partition, or do a full reformat.

    The choice is yours.

    --
    Jon
     
  3. peter

    peter Guest

    First of all the hardware on the new system most likely is not the same as
    was on the old system...so all of the drivers that are on the XP install do
    not match what is needed.
    If you are trying to save programs that are installed on the XP disk you can
    hook it up
    but you will need to change the BIOS boot order in order to boot from
    it...and at the same time perform
    a "repair installation" of XP back onto that drive to correct the hardware
    drivers. This will put your copy of XP
    back to the version that is on the CD...no updates no SP 1..2...3..unless
    one of them is included on the CD.
    Then of course you will need to do all of those updates. Once that is done
    it time to install the 32bit drivers
    for all of that new hardware which normally would reside on a mobo drivers
    disk or be available for download from
    the Computer manufacturer....it they have them.
    When you are doing this it is best to disconnect the Vista drive. Once
    everything is "updated" you can hook the
    Vista drive back up..... but you will either need to push F12 at boot for
    the disk boot order to show and then you
    pick which HD to boot from or you might need to enter the BIOS and do the
    same.

    Of course all of this is moot if XP came preinstalled on that old system..
    Then XP is an OEM version and only
    usable on that old system. The best you can hope to achieve is to format the
    old drive if you wish to use it
    as extra storage space on new system...slave drive.

    good luck.

    peter



    --
    If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    "MAT" <non-exit@non-exit.com> wrote in message
    news:u#rZCeJMKHA.5192@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Recently I bought a new PC (stationary) with Vista 64-bit.
    > From the old PC with windows XP I have a harddisc which I´m going to use
    > as a second drive in the new Vista 64-bit PC.
    > Could there be any problems just to install the old harddisc with the old
    > files from the XP-PC, or should I format the old harddisc before using it? <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. churin

    churin Guest

    MAT wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Recently I bought a new PC (stationary) with Vista 64-bit.
    > From the old PC with windows XP I have a harddisc which I´m going to
    > use as a second drive in the new Vista 64-bit PC.
    > Could there be any problems just to install the old harddisc with the
    > old files from the XP-PC, or should I format the old harddisc before
    > using it?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    There should not be any problem using the old hard drive as is. However,
    my suggestion is that you backup all data you want to keep from the old
    hard drive and then reformat the old drive for data storage use. I
    assume you are not interested in letting the new machine boot to the XP
    on the old hard drive as well as to Vista on the hard disk which came
    with the machine.
     

Share This Page