1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

USB problems with KB973879 Update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gordon Biggar, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. I have a Dell desktop (Studio 540) running Vista 64-bit Home Premium. As
    noted in an earlier posting today, I, too, was having the computer shut down
    when attempting to remove external storage devices. Removing the KB update,
    shown in the subject line, solved the problem.

    On the other hand, I have a Dell Studio laptop running Vista 32-bit Home
    Premium, which all of a sudden refuses to open .pdf files ("This file does
    not have a program associated with it..."). I have deleted KB970653 and
    KB973874, but to no avail.

    Very frustrating.

    Gordon Biggar
    Houston, Texas
     
  2. Here's what Gordon Biggar wrote on 8/31/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a Dell desktop (Studio 540) running Vista 64-bit Home Premium. As
    > noted in an earlier posting today, I, too, was having the computer shut down
    > when attempting to remove external storage devices. Removing the KB update,
    > shown in the subject line, solved the problem.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On the other hand, I have a Dell Studio laptop running Vista 32-bit Home
    > Premium, which all of a sudden refuses to open .pdf files ("This file does
    > not have a program associated with it..."). I have deleted KB970653 and
    > KB973874, but to no avail.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Not quite refusing to open the pdf...Try running Adobe Reader, Open
    File, choose a pdf and you'll see what I mean.

    Right click on a pdf, choose Open with, select Adobe Reader and Always
    use this program...

    That should fix your association up unless you've lost Adobe Reader.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Very frustrating.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Gordon Biggar
    > Houston, Texas<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  3. Thanks, Gene; that did the trick.

    It did not occur to me to use that approach, since I have been using Adobe
    Reader 9 for some time without a hitch. Hence, when all of a sudden .pdf
    files refused to open, I thought that I was up against something more
    complex.

    Gordon




    "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:u1OfHWBLKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what Gordon Biggar wrote on 8/31/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I have a Dell desktop (Studio 540) running Vista 64-bit Home Premium. As
    >> noted in an earlier posting today, I, too, was having the computer shut
    >> down when attempting to remove external storage devices. Removing the KB
    >> update, shown in the subject line, solved the problem.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On the other hand, I have a Dell Studio laptop running Vista 32-bit Home
    >> Premium, which all of a sudden refuses to open .pdf files ("This file
    >> does not have a program associated with it..."). I have deleted KB970653
    >> and KB973874, but to no avail.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Not quite refusing to open the pdf...Try running Adobe Reader, Open File,
    > choose a pdf and you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > Right click on a pdf, choose Open with, select Adobe Reader and Always use
    > this program...
    >
    > That should fix your association up unless you've lost Adobe Reader.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Very frustrating.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Gordon Biggar
    >> Houston, Texas<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Here's what Gordon Biggar wrote on 9/02/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks, Gene; that did the trick.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > It did not occur to me to use that approach, since I have been using Adobe
    > Reader 9 for some time without a hitch. Hence, when all of a sudden .pdf
    > files refused to open, I thought that I was up against something more
    > complex.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Well, you've gotta love a mystery :)

    There is another way, "Default Programs" somewhere in the control
    Panel, but I am not overly familiar with it (I was reminded of it by
    another post I read today).

    It's available from the Control Panel Home -> Programs (the heading,not
    uninstall or change). On the resulting page it's the third item down
    .... But Adobe isn't in there.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Gordon<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:u1OfHWBLKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Here's what Gordon Biggar wrote on 8/31/09:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I have a Dell desktop (Studio 540) running Vista 64-bit Home Premium. As
    >>> noted in an earlier posting today, I, too, was having the computer shut
    >>> down when attempting to remove external storage devices. Removing the KB
    >>> update, shown in the subject line, solved the problem.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On the other hand, I have a Dell Studio laptop running Vista 32-bit Home
    >>> Premium, which all of a sudden refuses to open .pdf files ("This file does
    >>> not have a program associated with it..."). I have deleted KB970653 and
    >>> KB973874, but to no avail.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Not quite refusing to open the pdf...Try running Adobe Reader, Open File,
    >> choose a pdf and you'll see what I mean.
    >>
    >> Right click on a pdf, choose Open with, select Adobe Reader and Always use
    >> this program...
    >>
    >> That should fix your association up unless you've lost Adobe Reader.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Very frustrating.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Gordon Biggar
    >>> Houston, Texas<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     

Share This Page