1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

USB drive or external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KeeKee, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. KeeKee

    KeeKee Guest

    I have Windows XP and Vista.

    I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    Could anyone shed a light?
    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "KeeKee" <chenkeekee@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:fb9858e4-c508-447f-8adf-feac684b8b26@r9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I have Windows XP and Vista.
    >
    > I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    > drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    > do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    > instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    > Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    > device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    > stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    > Could anyone shed a light?
    > Thanks in advance.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    It initially comes up as something like 'USB Mass Storage device' or
    something similar, I believe.

    The H: should then appear on the next screen after you click 'stop'

    --
    Jon
     
  3. bread_voter

    bread_voter Guest

    I had the same problem, infact I got blue dump screen thing, so I dont
    uninstall from safely remove icon anymore. If your drive letters
    disappears then its likley your drive wont be seen in windows either as the
    driver is missing. So go to device manager disable the device (usb hard
    drive) then unplug it. Close down vista then restart it plug in your usb
    device (hard drive) then vista will recognise it as new hardware looking for
    the driver. Vista sometimes I find has difficulty looking for the driver,
    doing this way will relocatre the driver and you should have your drive
    letter back. As for stopping the drive via the safely remove icon I don
    bother now, I just shut down pc, vista then sees my drive when I switch pc
    back on.


    "KeeKee" <chenkeekee@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:fb9858e4-c508-447f-8adf-feac684b8b26@r9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I have Windows XP and Vista.
    >
    > I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    > drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    > do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    > instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    > Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    > device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    > stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    > Could anyone shed a light?
    > Thanks in advance. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, KeeKee.

    In Disk Management (and a few other places in WinXP/Vista/Win7), we can set
    Policies for removable devices to Optimize for either "Quick removal" or for
    "Performance". Quick removal does not use caching, so it is almost always
    safe to remove the device, without waiting for "safely remove".

    There are several ways to run Disk Management. My favorite is to just press
    or click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. You'll need to furnish
    Administrator credentials because this is a powerful utility that can do as
    much harm as good if used carelessly.

    In Disk Management, the lower part of the screen shows the Graphical View.
    Each physical disk shows as a single graphic bar, divided into the volumes
    on that disk. Right-click in the far left column (to choose the whole disk
    and not just the single volume Drive H:, for example), choose Properties,
    and then the Policies tab.

    Even with Quick removal, do not unplug the disk until the light stops
    blinking, because that means that the latest read or write operation has not
    completed and your data can be lost or corrupted.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@grandecom.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    "KeeKee" <chenkeekee@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:fb9858e4-c508-447f-8adf-feac684b8b26@r9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have Windows XP and Vista.
    >
    > I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    > drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    > do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    > instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    > Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    > device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    > stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    > Could anyone shed a light?
    > Thanks in advance. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. KeeKee

    KeeKee Guest

    On Sep 9, 10:18 am, "R. C. White" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi, KeeKee.
    >
    > In Disk Management (and a few other places in WinXP/Vista/Win7), we can set
    > Policies for removable devices to Optimize for either "Quick removal" or for
    > "Performance".  Quick removal does not use caching, so it is almost always
    > safe to remove the device, without waiting for "safely remove".
    >
    > There are several ways to run Disk Management.  My favorite is to just press
    > or click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter.  You'll need to furnish
    > Administrator credentials because this is a powerful utility that can do as
    > much harm as good if used carelessly.
    >
    > In Disk Management, the lower part of the screen shows the Graphical View..
    > Each physical disk shows as a single graphic bar, divided into the volumes
    > on that disk.  Right-click in the far left column (to choose the whole disk
    > and not just the single volume Drive H:, for example), choose Properties,
    > and then the Policies tab.
    >
    > Even with Quick removal, do not unplug the disk until the light stops
    > blinking, because that means that the latest read or write operation has not
    > completed and your data can be lost or corrupted.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > r...@grandecom.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
    >
    > "KeeKee" <chenkee...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:fb9858e4-c508-447f-8adf-feac684b8b26@r9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I have Windows XP and Vista.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    > > drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    > > do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    > > instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    > > Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    > > device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    > > stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    > > Could anyone shed a light?
    > > Thanks in advance.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thank you so much !!!!
    I appreciate you helping me to solve my problem.
     
  6. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, KeeKee.

    You're welcome. And thanks for the feedback! ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@grandecom.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    "KeeKee" <chenkeekee@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:08160b87-6229-4081-8cac-8c58aa7ce6f5@q7g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sep 9, 10:18 am, "R. C. White" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi, KeeKee.
    >>
    >> In Disk Management (and a few other places in WinXP/Vista/Win7), we can
    >> set
    >> Policies for removable devices to Optimize for either "Quick removal" or
    >> for
    >> "Performance". Quick removal does not use caching, so it is almost
    >> always
    >> safe to remove the device, without waiting for "safely remove".
    >>
    >> There are several ways to run Disk Management. My favorite is to just
    >> press
    >> or click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. You'll need to
    >> furnish
    >> Administrator credentials because this is a powerful utility that can do
    >> as
    >> much harm as good if used carelessly.
    >>
    >> In Disk Management, the lower part of the screen shows the Graphical
    >> View.
    >> Each physical disk shows as a single graphic bar, divided into the
    >> volumes
    >> on that disk. Right-click in the far left column (to choose the whole
    >> disk
    >> and not just the single volume Drive H:, for example), choose Properties,
    >> and then the Policies tab.
    >>
    >> Even with Quick removal, do not unplug the disk until the light stops
    >> blinking, because that means that the latest read or write operation has
    >> not
    >> completed and your data can be lost or corrupted.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "KeeKee" <chenkee...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:fb9858e4-c508-447f-8adf-feac684b8b26@r9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I have Windows XP and Vista.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I always go through "safely remove hardware" before pulling off USB
    >> > drive on XP. However, I have been trying to
    >> > do the same on Vista, it seems that I cannot do the same as XP. For
    >> > instance, I plug in my USB on Vista and it appears as H drive on
    >> > Vista, when I am ready to do "safely remove hardware", I don't see the
    >> > device drive H is on the "Safely remove hardware" window, so I cannot
    >> > stop the H drive. I am concerned about the Vista hardware.
    >> > Could anyone shed a light?
    >> > Thanks in advance.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Thank you so much !!!!
    > I appreciate you helping me to solve my problem. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page