1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Uncheck "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" by default

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Andrew, Sep 15, 2009.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    If I right click on a file there is usually the option to"Open with..".
    Selecting this option list possible programs with which to open the
    application and, below this, there is a check box labelled "always use the
    selected program to open this kind of file". The check box is always
    checked, so clicking on OK permanently associates the selected program with
    the file type in question.

    However, I usually use this option to open a file in an application that I
    would not normally use for that type of file (e.g. Notepad to examine a
    non-text file). I do not want to associate the application with that type
    of file. Unfortunately it is very easy to accidentally click on OK without
    deselecting the check box.

    Searching with Google I have found assorted ways of disabling the checkbox
    altogether (so that it is greyed out or missing). However, ideally I would
    like to leave the option there, but simply default to the check box being
    deselected.

    That way I have to take a positive action to associate the file with the
    selected application rather than vice versa.

    Is this possible?
     

Share This Page