1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

turning hard drives on / off

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by yawnmoth, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    I have 2x 1TB hard drives and would like one to be a backup of the
    other. I could set up a RAID0 array, or something, but what I was
    thinking I'd like to do, instead, would be to use robocopy to keep the
    two hard drives synchronized. Maybe run it through the Windows
    Scheduler once a week or once a month and turn the drive off when it's
    not in use.

    I've read that turning the drive on and off can be worse the drive
    than just keeping it on, but I don't imagine that's true if your
    keeping it off for days or weeks at a time.

    I've also read that the main cause of hard drive failures isn't
    related to the fact that the platters spinning but rather due to the
    head writing. Be that as it may, I'd still be worried that Windows
    would try to periodically read or write to it even when I haven't
    accessed content on it, myself, for several weeks.

    Finally, I'm aware that Windows has a Power Management thing whereby
    you can turn hard drives off, but in this case, I don't want all hard
    drives to be shut off - I just want one to be shut off.

    Any ideas?
     
  2. "yawnmoth" <terra1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:b2701c5a-b0f1-42b0-be33-185304f2b77f@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have 2x 1TB hard drives and would like one to be a backup of the
    > other. I could set up a RAID0 array, or something, but what I was
    > thinking I'd like to do, instead, would be to use robocopy to keep the
    > two hard drives synchronized. Maybe run it through the Windows
    > Scheduler once a week or once a month and turn the drive off when it's
    > not in use.
    >
    > I've read that turning the drive on and off can be worse the drive
    > than just keeping it on, but I don't imagine that's true if your
    > keeping it off for days or weeks at a time.
    >
    > I've also read that the main cause of hard drive failures isn't
    > related to the fact that the platters spinning but rather due to the
    > head writing. Be that as it may, I'd still be worried that Windows
    > would try to periodically read or write to it even when I haven't
    > accessed content on it, myself, for several weeks.
    >
    > Finally, I'm aware that Windows has a Power Management thing whereby
    > you can turn hard drives off, but in this case, I don't want all hard
    > drives to be shut off - I just want one to be shut off.
    >
    > Any ideas?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yes. Install the drive into an external enclosure..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
     
  3. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    "yawnmoth" <terra1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:b2701c5a-b0f1-42b0-be33-185304f2b77f@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I have 2x 1TB hard drives and would like one to be a backup of the
    > other. I could set up a RAID0 array, or something, but what I was
    > thinking I'd like to do, instead, would be to use robocopy to keep the
    > two hard drives synchronized. Maybe run it through the Windows
    > Scheduler once a week or once a month and turn the drive off when it's
    > not in use.
    >
    > I've read that turning the drive on and off can be worse the drive
    > than just keeping it on, but I don't imagine that's true if your
    > keeping it off for days or weeks at a time.
    >
    > I've also read that the main cause of hard drive failures isn't
    > related to the fact that the platters spinning but rather due to the
    > head writing. Be that as it may, I'd still be worried that Windows
    > would try to periodically read or write to it even when I haven't
    > accessed content on it, myself, for several weeks.
    >
    > Finally, I'm aware that Windows has a Power Management thing whereby
    > you can turn hard drives off, but in this case, I don't want all hard
    > drives to be shut off - I just want one to be shut off.
    >
    > Any ideas?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Considering that recent drives are good for hundreds of
    thousands of start/stop cycles, I don't think you have
    to worry about that. Also, you don't have to worry
    about frequent reads and writes. That's what hard
    drives are designed for. The biggest enemy of a hard
    drive is heat. If you intend to use the drive infrequently,
    an external enclosure is you best bet. Make sure you get
    an enclosure with good cooling.
     
  4. On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:06:06 -0700 (PDT), yawnmoth
    <terra1024@yahoo.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have 2x 1TB hard drives and would like one to be a backup of the
    > other. I could set up a RAID0 array, or something, but what I was
    > thinking I'd like to do, instead, would be to use robocopy to keep the
    > two hard drives synchronized. Maybe run it through the Windows
    > Scheduler once a week or once a month and turn the drive off when it's
    > not in use.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    I strongly recommend that you not use an internal drive as a backup of
    another, not with RAID 0 nor any other way.

    I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive because
    it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and
    backup to many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches,
    nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

    In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept
    in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the
    life of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
    generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
    stored off-site.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I've read that turning the drive on and off can be worse the drive
    > than just keeping it on, but I don't imagine that's true if your
    > keeping it off for days or weeks at a time.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    In my view, it doesn't matter at all, and ether way is fine. Modern
    drives are built well enough so that they don't fail because of extra
    turning on and off.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I've also read that the main cause of hard drive failures isn't
    > related to the fact that the platters spinning but rather due to the
    > head writing. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Also not true. Good drives seldom fail because of how they are used.
    In almost every case, a drive gets replaced because it becomes too
    small for the current time period, not because of how they were used.
    Don't worry about things like this.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Be that as it may, I'd still be worried that Windows
    > would try to periodically read or write to it even when I haven't
    > accessed content on it, myself, for several weeks.
    >
    > Finally, I'm aware that Windows has a Power Management thing whereby
    > you can turn hard drives off, but in this case, I don't want all hard
    > drives to be shut off - I just want one to be shut off.
    >
    > Any ideas?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    Yes. As I said above, put it into an external USB enclosure and shut
    it off by turning it off and unplugging it from the computer. Anything
    less than that is a weak form of backup.


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     

Share This Page