1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

task manager (performance)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KRK, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Hello, can someone help me to interpret the data I see on the performance
    tab (memory) in task manager please? I have 2 Gb of ram.

    The display shows a green bar for memory which shows 772MB. Below it says
    Physical memory, Total 2045, cached 1601, free 25. Then 'Kernel memory,
    Total 224, paged 151, nonpaged 72.

    What are all these memories?. Do I really only have 25 MB ram free?

    I took these readings with my pc running only background system tasks.

    Thanks for you help

    KK
     
  2. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:16:24 +0100, "KRK"
    <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello, can someone help me to interpret the data I see on the performance
    > tab (memory) in task manager please? I have 2 Gb of ram.
    >
    > The display shows a green bar for memory which shows 772MB. Below it says
    > Physical memory, Total 2045, cached 1601, free 25. Then 'Kernel memory,
    > Total 224, paged 151, nonpaged 72.
    >
    > What are all these memories?. Do I really only have 25 MB ram free?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You say "*only* have 25 MB ram free," as if having only a little free
    is bad.

    You have it backwards. Wanting to minimize the amount of memory
    Windows uses is a counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use
    all, or most, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not bad.
    Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't want
    to see any of it wasted.

    Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
    time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
    part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
    this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you all the time.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  3. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Re: task manager (performance) - Thanks

    Thanks , I see (I think).

    KK


    "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    news:83osa59pdumrv0eqb89k9geipn5jp1kt60@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:16:24 +0100, "KRK"
    > <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello, can someone help me to interpret the data I see on the performance
    >> tab (memory) in task manager please? I have 2 Gb of ram.
    >>
    >> The display shows a green bar for memory which shows 772MB. Below it says
    >> Physical memory, Total 2045, cached 1601, free 25. Then 'Kernel memory,
    >> Total 224, paged 151, nonpaged 72.
    >>
    >> What are all these memories?. Do I really only have 25 MB ram free?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > You say "*only* have 25 MB ram free," as if having only a little free
    > is bad.
    >
    > You have it backwards. Wanting to minimize the amount of memory
    > Windows uses is a counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use
    > all, or most, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not bad.
    > Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't want
    > to see any of it wasted.
    >
    > Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
    > time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
    > part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
    > this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you all the time.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Re: task manager (performance) - Thanks

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:06:32 +0100, "KRK"
    <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks , I see (I think).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    You're welcome. Glad to help.


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    > news:83osa59pdumrv0eqb89k9geipn5jp1kt60@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:16:24 +0100, "KRK"
    > > <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > ><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Hello, can someone help me to interpret the data I see on the performance
    > >> tab (memory) in task manager please? I have 2 Gb of ram.
    > >>
    > >> The display shows a green bar for memory which shows 772MB. Below it says
    > >> Physical memory, Total 2045, cached 1601, free 25. Then 'Kernel memory,
    > >> Total 224, paged 151, nonpaged 72.
    > >>
    > >> What are all these memories?. Do I really only have 25 MB ram free?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > You say "*only* have 25 MB ram free," as if having only a little free
    > > is bad.
    > >
    > > You have it backwards. Wanting to minimize the amount of memory
    > > Windows uses is a counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use
    > > all, or most, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not bad.
    > > Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't want
    > > to see any of it wasted.
    > >
    > > Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
    > > time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
    > > part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
    > > this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you all the time.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     

Share This Page