1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

System Restore Point not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sage - John Leonard, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. When I run a System Restore Point. It runs and the computer re-starts,
    except I get a message there was a problem and the system files were not
    changed. However, I see that the Registry is updated in the process.


    It gives me the recommendation to run another restore point and I did. It
    still runs and comes back with the same problem indication.

    When I un-do the Restore Point, it runs and then comes back with the same
    problem indication/message. Isee the Registry update?

    Has anyone run into this before.

    Is this working and just a problem with Vista or it it not running??

    thx
     
  2. Ran it in Safe mode and no problems this time.


    "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
    news:0ADADCF0-37B8-4219-977F-49EA1D13BC02@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > When I run a System Restore Point. It runs and the computer re-starts,
    > except I get a message there was a problem and the system files were not
    > changed. However, I see that the Registry is updated in the process.
    >
    >
    > It gives me the recommendation to run another restore point and I did. It
    > still runs and comes back with the same problem indication.
    >
    > When I un-do the Restore Point, it runs and then comes back with the same
    > problem indication/message. Isee the Registry update?
    >
    > Has anyone run into this before.
    >
    > Is this working and just a problem with Vista or it it not running??
    >
    > thx <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Well, after running the Restore Point successfully, I decided to do an
    update to the OS.

    Boy! - wish I did not. I have the same probblem again - Right Clicking any
    shortcut or file/folder and my Windows Explorer Hangs.

    So I went back to the Safe Mode to try to do the Restore Pont again, which
    was older than five (5) days, and it is not there??

    How do I get the Retore Points back??
    Is there a problem with Vista OS updates?

    thx



    "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
    news:03A834C6-7112-4BF2-806A-E45786E96B99@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ran it in Safe mode and no problems this time.
    >
    >
    > "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
    > news:0ADADCF0-37B8-4219-977F-49EA1D13BC02@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> When I run a System Restore Point. It runs and the computer re-starts,
    >> except I get a message there was a problem and the system files were not
    >> changed. However, I see that the Registry is updated in the process.
    >>
    >>
    >> It gives me the recommendation to run another restore point and I did. It
    >> still runs and comes back with the same problem indication.
    >>
    >> When I un-do the Restore Point, it runs and then comes back with the same
    >> problem indication/message. Isee the Registry update?
    >>
    >> Has anyone run into this before.
    >>
    >> Is this working and just a problem with Vista or it it not running??
    >>
    >> thx<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. If the restore points are gone, you can't get them back - but did you
    check the box for "Show restore points older than 5 days"?

    There is a problem with System Restore and Norton Internet Security
    2009, and possibly other Norton products as well (I only know about the
    NIS 2009 problem). It has a self-protection mode to prevent changes to
    it, including changes made by System Restore. Bummer...

    If you have NIS, before starting System Restore, open NIS and choose
    Computer Settings -> Miscellaneous and turn OFF "Product Security
    Tamper Protection". Turn it back on after the restore is successful.

    You will also see that Norton is very ungraceful about getting itself
    up-to-date after a system restore (or after a long absence from the
    Internet, for that matter).

    Good luck...

    Here's what Sage - John Leonard wrote on 8/30/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Well, after running the Restore Point successfully, I decided to do an update
    > to the OS.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Boy! - wish I did not. I have the same probblem again - Right Clicking any
    > shortcut or file/folder and my Windows Explorer Hangs.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > So I went back to the Safe Mode to try to do the Restore Pont again, which
    > was older than five (5) days, and it is not there??<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > How do I get the Retore Points back??
    > Is there a problem with Vista OS updates?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > thx<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
    > news:03A834C6-7112-4BF2-806A-E45786E96B99@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Ran it in Safe mode and no problems this time.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
    >> news:0ADADCF0-37B8-4219-977F-49EA1D13BC02@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> When I run a System Restore Point. It runs and the computer re-starts,
    >>> except I get a message there was a problem and the system files were not
    >>> changed. However, I see that the Registry is updated in the process.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> It gives me the recommendation to run another restore point and I did. It
    >>> still runs and comes back with the same problem indication.
    >>>
    >>> When I un-do the Restore Point, it runs and then comes back with the same
    >>> problem indication/message. Isee the Registry update?
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone run into this before.
    >>>
    >>> Is this working and just a problem with Vista or it it not running??
    >>>
    >>> thx<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     

Share This Page