1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

startup programs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KRK, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Hello, I am trying to use 'autoruns' to identify & turn off programs/apps
    which run in the background, and I am finding quite a few !

    My question, Ought I be able to turn off these programs/apps from their
    options or preferences menus, or must I turn them off by unchecking their
    entries in autoruns ?

    Thanks as always

    KK
     
  2. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:eE8sOzTNKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello, I am trying to use 'autoruns' to identify & turn off programs/apps
    > which run in the background, and I am finding quite a few !
    >
    > My question, Ought I be able to turn off these programs/apps from their
    > options or preferences menus, or must I turn them off by unchecking their
    > entries in autoruns ?
    >
    > Thanks as always
    >
    > KK
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Not every program will allow you to opt out of starting with Windows
    so sometimes you have to use programs like Autoruns, or edit the registry.
     
  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

  4. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

  5. DanS

    DanS Guest

    "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    news:eE8sOzTNKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello, I am trying to use 'autoruns' to identify & turn off
    > programs/apps which run in the background, and I am finding quite a
    > few !
    >
    > My question, Ought I be able to turn off these programs/apps from
    > their options or preferences menus, or must I turn them off by
    > unchecking their entries in autoruns ?
    >
    > Thanks as always
    >
    > KK <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The preferred method is to use the program's 'Start with Windows' option to
    disable it from starting on bootup, if it has one.

    I've found that 95% of the apps that insist on starting when Windows starts
    have that option.
     

Share This Page