1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Speed up Vista64 Ultimate with a new Video Card?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Justin, Sep 15, 2009.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?
     
  2. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Justin wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    > was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    > Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    > improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It depends on what your parents do with the computer. Better choices to
    speed up a computer are to add more RAM and make sure the system is
    virus/malware-free and optimized.

    So, unless your parents are heavy-duty 3D gamers... the video card isn't the
    first thing I'd be looking at.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  3. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    news:O8yzKzlNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    > was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    > Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    > improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Unless you're running 3D intensive games or applications, a
    more powerful GPU will not have any noticeable effect. If
    the PC has 1GB of RAM, or less, increasing the RAM to 2GB
    will provide a greater benefit than a GPU upgrade, and at a
    lower cost.
     
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Malke wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Justin wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    >> was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    >> Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    >> improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > It depends on what your parents do with the computer. Better choices to
    > speed up a computer are to add more RAM and make sure the system is
    > virus/malware-free and optimized.
    >
    > So, unless your parents are heavy-duty 3D gamers... the video card isn't the
    > first thing I'd be looking at.
    >
    > Malke<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The CPU is a 3.0Ghz Core2 Duo with 4GB of RAM.
     
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Ian D wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    > news:O8yzKzlNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    >> was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    >> Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    >> improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Unless you're running 3D intensive games or applications, a
    > more powerful GPU will not have any noticeable effect. If
    > the PC has 1GB of RAM, or less, increasing the RAM to 2GB
    > will provide a greater benefit than a GPU upgrade, and at a
    > lower cost.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Gotcha, like I said to Mal it is a 3Ghz Core2 Duo with 4G of ram.

    I thought perhaps Vista had something that took advantage of the GPU.
    Which would be nice. Do they plan on implementing something like that
    in Windows 7?
     
  6. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    A major speedup is to go back to the "Classic" desktop, and stop using
    "Aero" Another one is to turn off fancy features such as mouse tails, etc.
    Vista does/can use DX10, which requires a decent video card for reasonable
    response. I assume that you have already updated the video drivers.
    Older Nvidia drivers for many Nvidia chipsets were slower than they needed
    to be in both Vista and Win XP, including the 7600.
    My desktop P/C is too slow for decent Vista or XP gaming-- 2Ghz single
    processor and a 7600 AGP video card. Win XP SP3
    A 2006-7 HP laptop (supposedly for multi media use) that came with Vista
    (upgraded to Ultimate) has a 1.5Ghz dual processor, and is marginal for
    Crysis.
    Newer video drivers made it able to run Crysis, but the video settings are
    low.

    As a comparison, the replacement (Still in setup/debug/software install):
    (Video drivers,BIOS, MBD drivers updated twice in the last 60 days)
    AMD 955 3.2Ghz Black Quad processor, ATI HD4890 video card,
    4G dual channel DDR2 Ram, Asus M4A79 MBD, SATA WD3000 VelociRaptor (10K rpm,
    300G HD),
    910W Power Supply, Win 7 Pro RTM, and runs Crysis in the highest mode (all
    its "glory")

    When SS HD prices come down to more reasonable levels I may add one as the
    primary drive.
    Win 7 ratings (not overclocked) 7.3 Processor, 7.7 Video, and due to the
    conventional hard drive, 5.6 for the hard drive.
    A second video card in "crossfire" configuration would provide some
    improvement, but hardly enough to justify the additional cost in money,
    power consumption, and additional heat. (one HD4890 is bad enough for heat
    generation and power consumption)

    "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    news:ej30gzoNKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ian D wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    >> news:O8yzKzlNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    >>> was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    >>> Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    >>> improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Unless you're running 3D intensive games or applications, a
    >> more powerful GPU will not have any noticeable effect. If
    >> the PC has 1GB of RAM, or less, increasing the RAM to 2GB
    >> will provide a greater benefit than a GPU upgrade, and at a
    >> lower cost.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Gotcha, like I said to Mal it is a 3Ghz Core2 Duo with 4G of ram.
    >
    > I thought perhaps Vista had something that took advantage of the GPU.
    > Which would be nice. Do they plan on implementing something like that in
    > Windows 7? <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Justin wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ian D wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    >> news:O8yzKzlNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    >>> was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    >>> Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    >>> improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Unless you're running 3D intensive games or applications, a
    >> more powerful GPU will not have any noticeable effect. If
    >> the PC has 1GB of RAM, or less, increasing the RAM to 2GB
    >> will provide a greater benefit than a GPU upgrade, and at a
    >> lower cost.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Gotcha, like I said to Mal it is a 3Ghz Core2 Duo with 4G of ram.
    >
    > I thought perhaps Vista had something that took advantage of the GPU.
    > Which would be nice. Do they plan on implementing something like that
    > in Windows 7?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    "Mal"?! I don't *think* so.

    Listen kid - if you are the same Justin who has been posting elsewhere in
    these newsgroups, leave your parents' computer alone. By what you wrote
    above and in those other posts, you really shouldn't be messing about with
    it.

    Your parents have good hardware. If their computer is slow, there is another
    reason. Tinkering with the box components will not help. Have your parents
    take their machine to a real computer tech (not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad
    type of place) or follow the troubleshooting path below.

    Some reasons for computer slowness:

    1. Computer hasn't been maintained -


    2. Computer is infected with malware -


    3. Hard drive is too full. Remove unnecessary stuff, uninstall unused
    programs. Don't forget to back up!


    4. Flaky third-party software. Toolbars and add-ons are particular culprits
    in this area. Uninstall toolbars (Google, Yahoo, ISP-branded, etc.) and look
    carefully at what add-ons are in use in your browser(s).

    5. Computer has too many unnecessary programs/processes running in the
    background. Manage your Startup:

    For Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the
    Results box above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". Autoruns
    is also very useful in Vista.

    6. User is running a bloated/invasive antivirus program such as ones from
    Norton and McAfee. Replace with a better program. I recommend either NOD32
    (commercial) or Avast (free). Avira is also good but the free version has an
    unpleasant nag screen (Google for instructions as to how to disable this).
    User may also be running more than one real-time antivirus/firewall/security
    program.

    7. User has installed new programs that are processor and/or memory-
    intensive (Photoshop, AutoCAD, Mathmatica or the like) and doesn't have the
    necessary hardware power.

    8. Hard drive is failing and is in PIO Mode. This is very dramatically slow
    (like being back in 1985). See Hans-Georg Michna's information here:


    In addition to the above, also see


    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  8. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Malke wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Justin wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Ian D wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:O8yzKzlNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>> The machine I built for my parents has an nVidia GeForce 7600 in it. It
    >>>> was fast for 2006 but I think it might be a bit outdated for Vista.
    >>>> Does Vista use the GPU to render its windows? Would there be any
    >>>> improvement in getting a better GPU - a 9 series?
    >>> Unless you're running 3D intensive games or applications, a
    >>> more powerful GPU will not have any noticeable effect. If
    >>> the PC has 1GB of RAM, or less, increasing the RAM to 2GB
    >>> will provide a greater benefit than a GPU upgrade, and at a
    >>> lower cost.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Gotcha, like I said to Mal it is a 3Ghz Core2 Duo with 4G of ram.
    >>
    >> I thought perhaps Vista had something that took advantage of the GPU.
    >> Which would be nice. Do they plan on implementing something like that
    >> in Windows 7?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > "Mal"?! I don't *think* so.
    >
    > Listen kid - if you are the same Justin who has been posting elsewhere in
    > these newsgroups, leave your parents' computer alone. By what you wrote
    > above and in those other posts, you really shouldn't be messing about with
    > it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I've been in IT since 1999, thanks.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Your parents have good hardware. If their computer is slow, there is another
    > reason. Tinkering with the box components will not help. Have your parents
    > take their machine to a real computer tech (not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad
    > type of place) or follow the troubleshooting path below.
    >
    > Some reasons for computer slowness:
    >
    > 1. Computer hasn't been maintained -
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    routine defrags.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 2. Computer is infected with malware -
    >
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No, already checked.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 3. Hard drive is too full. Remove unnecessary stuff, uninstall unused
    > programs. Don't forget to back up!
    >
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No, 25% full set up in a RAID 1.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 4. Flaky third-party software. Toolbars and add-ons are particular culprits
    > in this area. Uninstall toolbars (Google, Yahoo, ISP-branded, etc.) and look
    > carefully at what add-ons are in use in your browser(s).<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 5. Computer has too many unnecessary programs/processes running in the
    > background. Manage your Startup:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > For Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the
    > Results box above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". Autoruns
    > is also very useful in Vista.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 6. User is running a bloated/invasive antivirus program such as ones from
    > Norton and McAfee. Replace with a better program. I recommend either NOD32
    > (commercial) or Avast (free). Avira is also good but the free version has an
    > unpleasant nag screen (Google for instructions as to how to disable this).
    > User may also be running more than one real-time antivirus/firewall/security
    > program.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    AVG?

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 7. User has installed new programs that are processor and/or memory-
    > intensive (Photoshop, AutoCAD, Mathmatica or the like) and doesn't have the
    > necessary hardware power.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > 8. Hard drive is failing and is in PIO Mode. This is very dramatically slow
    > (like being back in 1985). See Hans-Georg Michna's information here:
    >
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No, per Western Digital's utility.<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > In addition to the above, also see
    >

    >
    > Malke<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    What the hell for? I know what I'm doing.
     

Share This Page