1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Something's gone awry (again)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MikeB, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. MikeB

    MikeB Guest

    OK, here is my short question: Is there a way in Windows Vista
    (Ultimate, SP2) that I can edit and alter file associations other than
    the method outlined in the Help file (which is to right-click on a
    file, then click on Open With ...)?

    Long explanation.

    I'm having network troubles, so I reboot my router and my Windows,
    just to make sure everything is clean.

    During startup, a file opens on my desktop in in TextPad (a utility
    that I have installed since December, but have not used or made
    changes to in recent months). This file is in C:\Users\Mike\AppData
    \Local\Temp and is named nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat

    It seems to be a part of an Adobe installation cleanup:

    @echo off
    :again
    del "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\nos_uninstall_Adobe.dll" >> NUL
    sleep 1
    if exist "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\nos_uninstall_Adobe.dll"
    goto again
    del "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat"

    Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    see how a person might make such a mistake.

    If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.

    I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    lo and behold, Textpad again.

    What the heck happened and is going on here?

    Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.

    {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant} [​IMG]

    Thanks for any help or pointers.
     
  2. lemur

    lemur Guest

    Hi Mike,

    Try this...

    At the administrator command prompt (cmd.exe) type -assoc.file_type=-
    Where -file_type- is the extension of the file type for which you want
    to remove the application association. Next time it will ask you what
    to open the file type with.


    --
    lemur

    Please click on rep icon if I've been of any help.
    Thanks!
     
  3. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "MikeB" <mpbrede@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9ed9ef6b-8a0d-463d-990e-6a28176f0e01@e34g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > OK, here is my short question: Is there a way in Windows Vista
    > (Ultimate, SP2) that I can edit and alter file associations other than
    > the method outlined in the Help file (which is to right-click on a
    > file, then click on Open With ...)?
    >
    > Long explanation.
    >
    > I'm having network troubles, so I reboot my router and my Windows,
    > just to make sure everything is clean.
    >
    > During startup, a file opens on my desktop in in TextPad (a utility
    > that I have installed since December, but have not used or made
    > changes to in recent months). This file is in C:UsersMikeAppData
    > LocalTemp and is named nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat
    >
    > It seems to be a part of an Adobe installation cleanup:
    >
    > @echo off
    > :again
    > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll" >> NUL
    > sleep 1
    > if exist "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll"
    > goto again
    > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.bat"
    >
    > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    > see how a person might make such a mistake.
    >
    > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.
    >
    > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    > lo and behold, Textpad again.
    >
    > What the heck happened and is going on here?
    >
    > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.
    >
    > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant} [​IMG]
    >
    > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    First, I think Shift-right-click may give you the 'Open with...' option.
    But I don't think that will help with a bat file.
    Have a look at the batfile registry entry.

    My registry has this for Edit:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit\command
    In the right pane: (Default) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

    and this for Open:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command
    In the right pane: (Default) REG_SZ "%1" %*
     
  4. MikeB

    MikeB Guest

    On Sep 14, 1:11 pm, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "MikeB" <mpbr...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:9ed9ef6b-8a0d-463d-990e-6a28176f0e01@e34g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > OK, here is my short question: Is there a way in Windows Vista
    > > (Ultimate, SP2) that I can edit and alter file associations other than
    > > the method outlined in the Help file (which is to right-click on a
    > > file, then click on Open With ...)?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Long explanation.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I'm having network troubles, so I reboot my router and my Windows,
    > > just to make sure everything is clean.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > During startup, a file opens on my desktop in in TextPad (a utility
    > > that I have installed since December, but have not used or made
    > > changes to in recent months).  This file is in C:UsersMikeAppData
    > > LocalTemp and is named  nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > It seems to be a part of an Adobe installation cleanup:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > @echo off
    > > :again
    > > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll" >> NUL
    > > sleep 1
    > > if exist "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll"
    > > goto again
    > > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.bat"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    > > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    > > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    > > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    > > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    > > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    > > see how a person might make such a mistake.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    > > lo and behold, Textpad again.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > What the heck happened and is going on here?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant}  [​IMG]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > First, I think Shift-right-click may give you the 'Open with...' option.
    > But I don't think that will help with a bat file.
    > Have a look at the batfile registry entry.
    >
    > My registry has this for Edit:
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshelleditcommand
    > In the right pane: (Default)  REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%System32NOTEPAD.EXE %1
    >
    > and this for Open:
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshellopencommand
    > In the right pane: (Default)  REG_SZ  "%1" %*<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Dave, thanks for your reply.

    I *did* try Shift-right-click (and Alt-right-click and ctrl-right-
    click for good luck as well), with no effect.

    Interestingly enough, my registry entries correspond *exactly* with
    yours.

    Any other ideas or suggestions?
     
  5. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "MikeB" <mpbrede@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0aeb15fa-ec7b-4bbb-8a9b->> > <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    >> > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    >> > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    >> > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    >> > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    >> > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    >> > see how a person might make such a mistake.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    >> > lo and behold, Textpad again.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > What the heck happened and is going on here?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant} [​IMG]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> First, I think Shift-right-click may give you the 'Open with...' option.
    >> But I don't think that will help with a bat file.
    >> Have a look at the batfile registry entry.
    >>
    >> My registry has this for Edit:
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshelleditcommand
    >> In the right pane: (Default) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%System32NOTEPAD.EXE %1
    >>
    >> and this for Open:
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshellopencommand
    >> In the right pane: (Default) REG_SZ "%1" %*<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Dave, thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I *did* try Shift-right-click (and Alt-right-click and ctrl-right-
    > click for good luck as well), with no effect.
    >
    > Interestingly enough, my registry entries correspond *exactly* with
    > yours.
    >
    > Any other ideas or suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yes, download and run the bat file association fix from Ramesh's site:
     
  6. MikeB

    MikeB Guest

    On Sep 14, 3:45 pm, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "MikeB" <mpbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0aeb15fa-ec7b-4bbb-8a9b->> >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    > >> > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    > >> > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    > >> > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    > >> > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    > >> > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    > >> > see how a person might make such a mistake.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    > >> > lo and behold, Textpad again.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > What the heck happened and is going on here?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant}  [​IMG]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> First, I think Shift-right-click may give you the 'Open with...' option.
    > >> But I don't think that will help with a bat file.
    > >> Have a look at the batfile registry entry.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> My registry has this for Edit:
    > >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshelleditcommand
    > >> In the right pane: (Default)  REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%System32NOTEPAD.EXE %1<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> and this for Open:
    > >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshellopencommand
    > >> In the right pane: (Default)  REG_SZ  "%1" %*<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Dave, thanks for your reply.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I *did* try Shift-right-click (and Alt-right-click and ctrl-right-
    > > click for good luck as well), with no effect.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Interestingly enough, my registry entries correspond *exactly* with
    > > yours.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Any other ideas or suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Yes, download and run the bat file association fix from Ramesh's site:...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Ok, right. Who is Ramesh? Is this a common problem for something to
    hose Vista file associations? If so why is the fix on a 3rd party site
    and not on the MS support site? Inquiring minds want to know, since if
    possible I'd rather not screw up like this and then have to spend a
    bunch of time fixing Windows. It's bad enough if I screw up and have
    to fix things. It's bad enough that I can't even get Vista to leave my
    arrangement of desktop icons alone or to maintain a persistent WiFi
    Internet connection, but this is really just another PITA.

    I looked at that fix and it seems like a rather major registry update
    and I'm not entirely comfortable doing this, there are enough dire
    warnings out there about messing with the registry and somewhere along
    the line something might come back and bite me.
     
  7. On 9/14/09, the entity MikeB wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sep 14, 3:45špm, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "MikeB" <mpbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0aeb15fa-ec7b-4bbb-8a9b->> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>>> Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    >>>>> file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    >>>>> seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    >>>>> TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    >>>>> (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    >>>>> to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    >>>>> see how a person might make such a mistake.
    >>>>> If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.
    >>>>> I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    >>>>> lo and behold, Textpad again.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>>> What the heck happened and is going on here?
    >>>>> Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.
    >>>>> {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant} š:)
    >>>>> Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> First, I think Shift-right-click may give you the 'Open with...' option.
    >>>> But I don't think that will help with a bat file.
    >>>> Have a look at the batfile registry entry.
    >>>> My registry has this for Edit:
    >>>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshelleditcommand
    >>>> In the right pane: (Default) šREG_EXPAND_SZ
    >>>> %SystemRoot%System32NOTEPAD.EXE %1 and this for Open:
    >>>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTbatfileshellopencommand
    >>>> In the right pane: (Default) šREG_SZ š"%1" %*
    >>> Dave, thanks for your reply.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I *did* try Shift-right-click (and Alt-right-click and ctrl-right-
    >>> click for good luck as well), with no effect.
    >>> Interestingly enough, my registry entries correspond *exactly* with
    >>> yours.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Any other ideas or suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Yes, download and run the bat file association fix from Ramesh's
    >> site:...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ok, right. Who is Ramesh? Is this a common problem for something to
    > hose Vista file associations? If so why is the fix on a 3rd party site
    > and not on the MS support site? Inquiring minds want to know, since if
    > possible I'd rather not screw up like this and then have to spend a
    > bunch of time fixing Windows. It's bad enough if I screw up and have
    > to fix things. It's bad enough that I can't even get Vista to leave my
    > arrangement of desktop icons alone or to maintain a persistent WiFi
    > Internet connection, but this is really just another PITA.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I looked at that fix and it seems like a rather major registry update
    > and I'm not entirely comfortable doing this, there are enough dire
    > warnings out there about messing with the registry and somewhere along
    > the line something might come back and bite me.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Install Autoruns (free at Microsoft's site), run it, and search for a
    start-up command containing the name of the batch file (Autoruns has a
    search command). If found, it should be informative (and you can
    disable it while you're at it).

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  8. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "MikeB" <mpbrede@gmail.com> wrote in message news:acdcff39-dbf3-43b2-b1d8-in the >>
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ok, right. Who is Ramesh? Is this a common problem for something to
    > hose Vista file associations? If so why is the fix on a 3rd party site
    > and not on the MS support site? Inquiring minds want to know, since if
    > possible I'd rather not screw up like this and then have to spend a
    > bunch of time fixing Windows. It's bad enough if I screw up and have
    > to fix things. It's bad enough that I can't even get Vista to leave my
    > arrangement of desktop icons alone or to maintain a persistent WiFi
    > Internet connection, but this is really just another PITA.
    >
    > I looked at that fix and it seems like a rather major registry update
    > and I'm not entirely comfortable doing this, there are enough dire
    > warnings out there about messing with the registry and somewhere along
    > the line something might come back and bite me.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I said it was Ramesh's site. If you had bothered to look at
    the home page you would see who Ramesh is.

    If you do not like the free help given to you then take your
    computer to a computer repair shop and pay someone to look
    at it or contact Microsoft directly and try and talk to them.

    I hope you get your problems fixed somehow.
     
  9. MikeB

    MikeB Guest

    On Sep 15, 4:16 am, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "MikeB" <mpbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:acdcff39-dbf3-43b2-b1d8-in the >><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Ok, right.  Who is Ramesh?  Is this a common problem for something to
    > > hose Vista file associations? If so why is the fix on a 3rd party site
    > > and not on the MS support site? Inquiring minds want to know, since if
    > > possible I'd rather not screw up like this and then have to spend a
    > > bunch of time fixing Windows. It's bad enough if I screw up and have
    > > to fix things. It's bad enough that I can't even get Vista to leave my
    > > arrangement of desktop icons alone or to maintain a persistent WiFi
    > > Internet connection, but this is really just another PITA.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I looked at that fix and it seems like a rather major registry update
    > > and I'm not entirely comfortable doing this, there are enough dire
    > > warnings out there about messing with the registry and somewhere along
    > > the line something might come back and bite me.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I said it was Ramesh's site. If you had bothered to look at
    > the home page you would see who Ramesh is.
    >
    > If you do not like the free help given to you then take your
    > computer to a computer repair shop and pay someone to look
    > at it or contact Microsoft directly and try and talk to them.
    >
    > I hope you get your problems fixed somehow.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Well, I'm sorry I offended you. I find the newsgroups on the whole
    more useful than a "computer repair" shop where I don't really know
    the qualifications and the quality of work performed. I'm just leery
    of the seemingly never-ending spiral of "fixes" I have to apply to get
    Vista to behave. I don't know if every fix I apply doesn't break
    something else that only becomes apparent some way down the road.

    On the other hand, being uncomfortable with one particular answer
    provided on a newsgroup does not mean that I should stop asking. Often-
    times a person with different insight might respond.

    I guess the problem I have, or concern, more accurately, with your
    answer is that you tell me to do something, but you gave no clue as to
    what might have gone wrong, or what I'm trying to fix. I like to have
    a little reasoning behind fixing stuff.

    I know the registry is complicated, but I don't understand why it
    would break in this manner. I looked at that fix and it has a lot of
    stuff translated into hexadecimal that seems to be not necessary, so
    it looks more obscure than it has to be. Some of the syntax I don't
    understand, either and that also makes me uncomfortable.

    But regardless of that, thank you for helping. It is appreciated. I
    think you have been kind enough to help me on previous occasions as
    well.
     
  10. Bill Sharpe

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    MikeB wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > OK, here is my short question: Is there a way in Windows Vista
    > (Ultimate, SP2) that I can edit and alter file associations other than
    > the method outlined in the Help file (which is to right-click on a
    > file, then click on Open With ...)?
    >
    > Long explanation.
    >
    > I'm having network troubles, so I reboot my router and my Windows,
    > just to make sure everything is clean.
    >
    > During startup, a file opens on my desktop in in TextPad (a utility
    > that I have installed since December, but have not used or made
    > changes to in recent months). This file is in C:UsersMikeAppData
    > LocalTemp and is named nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat
    >
    > It seems to be a part of an Adobe installation cleanup:
    >
    > @echo off
    > :again
    > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll" >> NUL
    > sleep 1
    > if exist "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll"
    > goto again
    > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.bat"
    >
    > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    > see how a person might make such a mistake.
    >
    > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.
    >
    > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    > lo and behold, Textpad again.
    >
    > What the heck happened and is going on here?
    >
    > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.
    >
    > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant} [​IMG]
    >
    > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Have you tried running the batch file from a command prompt?

    Bill
     
  11. MikeB

    MikeB Guest

    On Sep 15, 11:38 am, Bill Sharpe <wfsno...@adelphia.net> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > MikeB wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > OK, here is my short question: Is there a way in Windows Vista
    > > (Ultimate, SP2) that I can edit and alter file associations other than
    > > the method outlined in the Help file (which is to right-click on a
    > > file, then click on Open With ...)?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Long explanation.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I'm having network troubles, so I reboot my router and my Windows,
    > > just to make sure everything is clean.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > During startup, a file opens on my desktop in in TextPad (a utility
    > > that I have installed since December, but have not used or made
    > > changes to in recent months).  This file is in C:UsersMikeAppData
    > > LocalTemp and is named  nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > It seems to be a part of an Adobe installation cleanup:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > @echo off
    > > :again
    > > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll" >> NUL
    > > sleep 1
    > > if exist "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.dll"
    > > goto again
    > > del "C:UsersMikeAppDataLocalTempnos_uninstall_Adobe.bat"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Now I'm trying to run this and I just can't. If I right-click on the
    > > file, there is no Open With... in the context menu. THe default action
    > > seems to be to open the file with TextPad. However, if I check
    > > TextPad's Preferences, there are no filetypes associated with TextPad
    > > (this is how I recall I installed it) Furthermore, I'm not so silly as
    > > to associate a .bat file by default with a text editor, though I can
    > > see how a person might make such a mistake.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > If I click on Edit in the context menu, Textpad also opens the file.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I tried Run from the Start menu, typing in the path and filename and
    > > lo and behold, Textpad again.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > What the heck happened and is going on here?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Oh BTW. Yes, I am Admin and have Admin rights.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > {Omitted obligatory anti-Vista rant}  [​IMG]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Thanks for any help or pointers.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Have you tried running the batch file from a command prompt?
    >
    > Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    This is what happened. I guess that's the end of that particular
    file....

    C:\Users\Mike>C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat
    'sleep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    The batch file cannot be found.

    C:\Users\Mike>type C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp
    \nos_uninstall_Adobe.bat
    The system cannot find the file specified.

    C:\Users\Mike>
     
  12. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "MikeB" <mpbrede@gmail.com> wrote in message news:03696710-8ac8-4635-91b3-4ee84c85f308@l35g2000vba.googlegroups.com...
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Well, I'm sorry I offended you. I find the newsgroups on the whole
    > more useful than a "computer repair" shop where I don't really know
    > the qualifications and the quality of work performed. I'm just leery
    > of the seemingly never-ending spiral of "fixes" I have to apply to get
    > Vista to behave. I don't know if every fix I apply doesn't break
    > something else that only becomes apparent some way down the road.
    >
    > On the other hand, being uncomfortable with one particular answer
    > provided on a newsgroup does not mean that I should stop asking. Often-
    > times a person with different insight might respond.
    >
    > I guess the problem I have, or concern, more accurately, with your
    > answer is that you tell me to do something, but you gave no clue as to
    > what might have gone wrong, or what I'm trying to fix. I like to have
    > a little reasoning behind fixing stuff.
    >
    > I know the registry is complicated, but I don't understand why it
    > would break in this manner. I looked at that fix and it has a lot of
    > stuff translated into hexadecimal that seems to be not necessary, so
    > it looks more obscure than it has to be. Some of the syntax I don't
    > understand, either and that also makes me uncomfortable.
    >
    > But regardless of that, thank you for helping. It is appreciated. I
    > think you have been kind enough to help me on previous occasions as
    > well.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Don't worry, you haven't offended me.
    Ramesh Srinivasan is a well-respected Microsoft MVP who sometimes posts
    on this newsgroup and he and his website must have helped thousands
    of people, probably more.

    I have found the quickest and most reliable way to repair a file association
    problem is to use one of Ramesh's fixes, that's why I suggested it.

    To get back to your current problem, presumably when your Vista was first
    installed batch files ran when double-clicked but now they don't so something
    or someone has changed the default behaviour for double-clicking on a batch file.

    Perhaps an antivirus program changed the default action, if you didn't.

    The way forward is for you to right-click the batfix_vista reg file you downloaded
    and select 'Edit'. It should open up in Notepad, or in your case TextPad.
    Next run Regedit and have the two windows, Regedit and Textpad, side by side so
    you can see both.

    Now you can compare your registry data with the batfix file data.
    Some entries like 'FriendlyTypeName' are different,
    mine says' @%SystemRoot%\System32\acppage.dll,-6002 ' whereas the reg file
    has a load of hex. I think having expandable data (%system%) is the reason
    for the hex instead of words.
    Anyway, you may see a clue somewhere in the list.

    One important line in the batfix file is:
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bat\UserChoice]

    The negative sign at the beginning means that this key will be deleted.
    I haven't got a UserChoice key as I haven't altered my bat file association.
    You may find that you have this key and deleting it will fix your problem.

    To stop this batch file from running at start-up, as Gene Bloch suggested, an excellent
    program is Autoruns:


    Good luck.
     

Share This Page