1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

searching by filename

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by yawnmoth, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    I tried to do a search for *.zip and got zero results. I tried to do
    a search for 'yawnmoth' and that time got quite a few results,
    although not all of them make sense - in some cases, I got files like
    "IMG00032.jpg" back. 'yawnmoth' is clearly not in the filename and
    although the binary data may, coincidentally, happen to contain the
    string 'yawnmoth', I don't know why Windows is presuming to search for
    it. Or maybe it's in the meta information but I don't care about the
    meta information - all I want to do is find files whose name confirm
    to a certain pattern.
     
  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    In the search box type "Name:" (without the quotes) followed by all or part
    of the filename you are looking for.

    "yawnmoth" <terra1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:f0ca782c-aced-4a79-8989-c59796c66882@z30g2000yqz.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I tried to do a search for *.zip and got zero results. I tried to do
    > a search for 'yawnmoth' and that time got quite a few results,
    > although not all of them make sense - in some cases, I got files like
    > "IMG00032.jpg" back. 'yawnmoth' is clearly not in the filename and
    > although the binary data may, coincidentally, happen to contain the
    > string 'yawnmoth', I don't know why Windows is presuming to search for
    > it. Or maybe it's in the meta information but I don't care about the
    > meta information - all I want to do is find files whose name confirm
    > to a certain pattern. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:47:12 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >In the search box type "Name:" (without the quotes) followed by all or part
    >of the filename you are looking for.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Or install a search tool that has an intuitive interface, as opposed
    to the mangled mess that is Vista Search.



    After that, you can shut off indexing and the indexing service and
    improve system performance.
     

Share This Page