1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Scanning user accounts

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nikilet, Sep 10, 2009.

  1. Nikilet

    Nikilet Guest

    My main account has administrative privileges. I just set up a new user
    account for my grandson to use to play his games when he comes. When I'm in
    my account and I do a scan with my antivirus or spyware programs, does this
    scan take in both of these accounts or do I have to go into his account and
    perform a separate scan?
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

  3. AJR

    AJR Guest

    One of the best questions posted ( I do not recall it being asked before) -
    and good reponse form Rick.

    Considering the hype re: Win 7, Win Virtual PC and XP mode - the question
    can be applied as to whether or not each virtual machine should have it's
    own anti/virus/malware programs (Recommended).




    "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:e2Znr$fMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > Depends on the program. Most will only be actively monitoring (ie: real
    > time scanning) the logged on user as well as the system files. When you
    > set it to do a full system scan (regularly scheduled or some such), then
    > this should actively scan all user accounts.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Windows help -

    > Vote for my shoe:

    >
    > "Nikilet" <Nikilet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:6E974467-9F0E-4111-9DBB-D4A3FD08A961@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> My main account has administrative privileges. I just set up a new user
    >> account for my grandson to use to play his games when he comes. When I'm
    >> in
    >> my account and I do a scan with my antivirus or spyware programs, does
    >> this
    >> scan take in both of these accounts or do I have to go into his account
    >> and
    >> perform a separate scan?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Nikilet

    Nikilet Guest

    I use BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and have it scheduled to always do a
    Deep Scan; and when I scan with spyware programs I always do the full scan.

    When I go into this account I set up for my grandson, BitDefender icon is in
    the task bar and appears to be working. It is supposed to include spyware
    protection, but I still open and scan with SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes
    about once a week.

    I have the task bar hidden and the only thing that appears on the desk top
    in the account for my grandson are his games, but the games are from my
    Shockwave UNLIMITED membership so Internet connection is required to play
    them.

    Based on this info, do you think my scans are covering both accounts?

    I guess I could just go into the account and scan it but was hoping I
    wouldn't have to monkey around like that.

    Thanks for the answers I received.

    "AJR" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > One of the best questions posted ( I do not recall it being asked before) -
    > and good reponse form Rick.
    >
    > Considering the hype re: Win 7, Win Virtual PC and XP mode - the question
    > can be applied as to whether or not each virtual machine should have it's
    > own anti/virus/malware programs (Recommended).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > news:e2Znr$fMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Depends on the program. Most will only be actively monitoring (ie: real
    > > time scanning) the logged on user as well as the system files. When you
    > > set it to do a full system scan (regularly scheduled or some such), then
    > > this should actively scan all user accounts.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > >
    > > Windows help -

    > > Vote for my shoe:

    > >
    > > "Nikilet" <Nikilet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:6E974467-9F0E-4111-9DBB-D4A3FD08A961@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> My main account has administrative privileges. I just set up a new user
    > >> account for my grandson to use to play his games when he comes. When I'm
    > >> in
    > >> my account and I do a scan with my antivirus or spyware programs, does
    > >> this
    > >> scan take in both of these accounts or do I have to go into his account
    > >> and
    > >> perform a separate scan?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    A virtual machine should almost always have its own AV software. Remember, a
    virtual machine acts like a machine unto itself, an antivirus program in the
    host only sees it as a large file and not as a set of system files to be
    scanned.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:uB6dU3iMKHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > One of the best questions posted ( I do not recall it being asked
    > before) - and good reponse form Rick.
    >
    > Considering the hype re: Win 7, Win Virtual PC and XP mode - the question
    > can be applied as to whether or not each virtual machine should have it's
    > own anti/virus/malware programs (Recommended).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > news:e2Znr$fMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Depends on the program. Most will only be actively monitoring (ie: real
    >> time scanning) the logged on user as well as the system files. When you
    >> set it to do a full system scan (regularly scheduled or some such), then
    >> this should actively scan all user accounts.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>

    >> Windows help -

    >> Vote for my shoe:

    >>
    >> "Nikilet" <Nikilet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:6E974467-9F0E-4111-9DBB-D4A3FD08A961@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> My main account has administrative privileges. I just set up a new user
    >>> account for my grandson to use to play his games when he comes. When I'm
    >>> in
    >>> my account and I do a scan with my antivirus or spyware programs, does
    >>> this
    >>> scan take in both of these accounts or do I have to go into his account
    >>> and
    >>> perform a separate scan?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Sounds to me like you have it covered. The separate periodic full scans
    should be enough.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "Nikilet" <Nikilet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:19E6EDB6-42C5-47DB-AC33-DA27EA3FFE76@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I use BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and have it scheduled to always do
    >a
    > Deep Scan; and when I scan with spyware programs I always do the full
    > scan.
    >
    > When I go into this account I set up for my grandson, BitDefender icon is
    > in
    > the task bar and appears to be working. It is supposed to include spyware
    > protection, but I still open and scan with SUPERAntispyware and
    > Malwarebytes
    > about once a week.
    >
    > I have the task bar hidden and the only thing that appears on the desk top
    > in the account for my grandson are his games, but the games are from my
    > Shockwave UNLIMITED membership so Internet connection is required to play
    > them.
    >
    > Based on this info, do you think my scans are covering both accounts?
    >
    > I guess I could just go into the account and scan it but was hoping I
    > wouldn't have to monkey around like that.
    >
    > Thanks for the answers I received.
    >
    > "AJR" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> One of the best questions posted ( I do not recall it being asked
    >> before) -
    >> and good reponse form Rick.
    >>
    >> Considering the hype re: Win 7, Win Virtual PC and XP mode - the question
    >> can be applied as to whether or not each virtual machine should have it's
    >> own anti/virus/malware programs (Recommended).
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> news:e2Znr$fMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Depends on the program. Most will only be actively monitoring (ie: real
    >> > time scanning) the logged on user as well as the system files. When you
    >> > set it to do a full system scan (regularly scheduled or some such),
    >> > then
    >> > this should actively scan all user accounts.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,
    >> >
    >> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> >

    >> > Windows help -

    >> > Vote for my shoe:

    >> >
    >> > "Nikilet" <Nikilet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > news:6E974467-9F0E-4111-9DBB-D4A3FD08A961@microsoft.com...
    >> >> My main account has administrative privileges. I just set up a new
    >> >> user
    >> >> account for my grandson to use to play his games when he comes. When
    >> >> I'm
    >> >> in
    >> >> my account and I do a scan with my antivirus or spyware programs, does
    >> >> this
    >> >> scan take in both of these accounts or do I have to go into his
    >> >> account
    >> >> and
    >> >> perform a separate scan?
    >> ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page