1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

ReReading Windows registry

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dak, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. dak

    dak Guest

    I am trying to write a script to add a few items like: "Connect to" to the
    Start Menu. This seems pretty easy by changing values in the registry and
    setting
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001

    works to turn "Connect To" on after the next reboot.

    Is there a command to force Windows to re-look at the registry after setting
    this value, so that the change becomes effective without having to reboot the
    computer.
     
  2. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    No

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:2A9163A2-8D88-4217-B35E-D08460F84EC1@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I am trying to write a script to add a few items like: "Connect to" to the
    > Start Menu. This seems pretty easy by changing values in the registry and
    > setting
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    > "Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001
    >
    > works to turn "Connect To" on after the next reboot.
    >
    > Is there a command to force Windows to re-look at the registry after setting
    > this value, so that the change becomes effective without having to reboot the
    > computer. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A9163A2-8D88-4217-B35E-D08460F84EC1@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am trying to write a script to add a few items like: "Connect to" to the
    > Start Menu. This seems pretty easy by changing values in the registry and
    > setting
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    > "Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001
    >
    > works to turn "Connect To" on after the next reboot.
    >
    > Is there a command to force Windows to re-look at the registry after setting
    > this value, so that the change becomes effective without having to reboot the
    > computer.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    One way would be to close and then restart Explorer.

    taskkill /F /IM “explorer.exe”
    explorer
     
  4. dak

    dak Guest

    Thanks.

    That will work. But Microsoft must be doing something else. If I go thru the
    GUI and customize the Start Menu, when I click OK it is automactically
    updated.

    "Dave-UK" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A9163A2-8D88-4217-B35E-D08460F84EC1@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I am trying to write a script to add a few items like: "Connect to" to the
    > > Start Menu. This seems pretty easy by changing values in the registry and
    > > setting
    > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    > > "Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001
    > >
    > > works to turn "Connect To" on after the next reboot.
    > >
    > > Is there a command to force Windows to re-look at the registry after setting
    > > this value, so that the change becomes effective without having to reboot the
    > > computer.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > One way would be to close and then restart Explorer.
    >
    > taskkill /F /IM “explorer.exe”
    > explorer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Guest

    "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE337655-0F31-4B33-8580-C36D998D991F@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks.
    >
    > That will work. But Microsoft must be doing something else. If I go thru the
    > GUI and customize the Start Menu, when I click OK it is automactically
    > updated.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    How about using the F5 (refresh) key's function?
     
  6. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:2A9163A2-8D88-4217-B35E-D08460F84EC1@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I am trying to write a script to add a few items like: "Connect to" to the
    > Start Menu. This seems pretty easy by changing values in the registry and
    > setting
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced]
    > "Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001
    >
    > works to turn "Connect To" on after the next reboot.
    >
    > Is there a command to force Windows to re-look at the registry after
    > setting
    > this value, so that the change becomes effective without having to reboot
    > the
    > computer.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Sometimes, if you can locate a suitable api function to use - which I
    confess I don't know in this case - a refresh is built into the actual
    command.

    --
    Jon
     

Share This Page