1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Registry problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ed, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009\Counter and help to add performance
    monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work
    on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib\009 but I got "Cannot
    to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got
    "Invalid handle". I can add key to \Perflib but not \Perflib\009. I am
    logged in under administrator account.

    What's wrong and what's the solution?

    Thanks
     
  2. chas2209

    chas2209 Guest

    "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    > NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance monitor
    > counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work on Vista.
    > To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got "Cannot to
    > registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got "Invalid
    > handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09. I am logged in
    > under administrator account.
    >
    > What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >
    > Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Contact your software Author

    chas2209
     
  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    chas2209 wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    > news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance monitor
    >> counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work on Vista.
    >> To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got "Cannot to
    >> registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got "Invalid
    >> handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09. I am logged in
    >> under administrator account.
    >>
    >> What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >>
    >> Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Contact your software Author
    >
    > chas2209
    >
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The sforware
    (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but can read it
    fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib\009 using regedit but it
    gave me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change the permission of
    Perflib\009 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I tried it with several
    other keys (including \Perflib itself) and all worked fine. What can be
    different with 009? All the permissions seem to be the same as any other.
     
  4. chas2209

    chas2209 Guest

    "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    news:%23w6m0pzKKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > chas2209 wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >> news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >>> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance
    >>> monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work
    >>> on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got "Cannot
    >>> to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got
    >>> "Invalid handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09. I am
    >>> logged in under administrator account.
    >>>
    >>> What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> Contact your software Author
    >>
    >> chas2209
    >>
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The sforware
    > (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but can read it
    > fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib09 using regedit but it gave
    > me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change the permission of
    > Perflib09 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I tried it with several
    > other keys (including Perflib itself) and all worked fine. What can be
    > different with 009? All the permissions seem to be the same as any other.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hi
    I think it will be difficult for you to get help in this group
    I suggest you try -


    Best of Luck

    chas2209
     
  5. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Ed wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > chas2209 wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >> news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >>> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance
    >>> monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work
    >>> on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got "Cannot
    >>> to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got
    >>> "Invalid handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09. I am
    >>> logged in under administrator account.
    >>>
    >>> What's wrong and what's the solution?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Contact your software Author<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The sforware
    > (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but can read it
    > fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib09 using regedit but it
    > gave me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change the permission of
    > Perflib09 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I tried it with several
    > other keys (including Perflib itself) and all worked fine. What can be
    > different with 009? All the permissions seem to be the same as any other.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Probably the best place for you to ask this is in a developer's forum. Try
    the MSDN forums:



    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  6. Take a look at this blog entry:

    Registering ATL Performance Counters on Vista and Server 2008


    --
    Regards/Saludos,
    Daniel Martín
    Microsoft MVP Windows User Experience

    "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    news:#w6m0pzKKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > chas2209 wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >> news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >>> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance
    >>> monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not work
    >>> on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got "Cannot
    >>> to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and got
    >>> "Invalid handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09. I am
    >>> logged in under administrator account.
    >>>
    >>> What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> Contact your software Author
    >>
    >> chas2209
    >>
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The sforware
    > (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but can read it
    > fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib09 using regedit but it gave
    > me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change the permission of
    > Perflib09 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I tried it with several
    > other keys (including Perflib itself) and all worked fine. What can be
    > different with 009? All the permissions seem to be the same as any other. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.


    Daniel Martín [MVP] wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Take a look at this blog entry:
    >
    > Registering ATL Performance Counters on Vista and Server 2008
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Regards/Saludos,
    > Daniel Martín
    > Microsoft MVP Windows User Experience
    >
    > "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    > news:#w6m0pzKKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> chas2209 wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >>> news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >>>> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance
    >>>> monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not
    >>>> work on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I
    >>>> got "Cannot to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the
    >>>> permission and got "Invalid handle". I can add key to Perflib but
    >>>> not Perflib09. I am logged in under administrator account.
    >>>>
    >>>> What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Contact your software Author
    >>>
    >>> chas2209
    >>>
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The
    >> sforware (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but
    >> can read it fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib09 using
    >> regedit but it gave me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change
    >> the permission of Perflib09 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I
    >> tried it with several other keys (including Perflib itself) and all
    >> worked fine. What can be different with 009? All the permissions seem
    >> to be the same as any other. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. You're welcome, Ed.

    --
    Regards/Saludos,
    Daniel Martín
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience

    "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    news:#jaUpE9KKHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    >
    >
    > Daniel Martín [MVP] wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Take a look at this blog entry:
    >>
    >> Registering ATL Performance Counters on Vista and Server 2008
    >> -
    >> -
    >> Regards/Saludos,
    >> Daniel Martín
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows User Experience
    >>
    >> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >> news:#w6m0pzKKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> chas2209 wrote:
    >>>> "Ed" <Ed@no.Email> wrote in message
    >>>> news:e27$VuxKKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>>> Our software modifies HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    >>>>> NTCurrentVersionPerflib09Counter and help to add performance
    >>>>> monitor counters. It has been working for years on XP. It does not
    >>>>> work on Vista. To test, I tried to add a key to Perflib09 but I got
    >>>>> "Cannot to registry" dialog box. I tried to modify the permission and
    >>>>> got "Invalid handle". I can add key to Perflib but not Perflib09.
    >>>>> I am logged in under administrator account.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What's wrong and what's the solution?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Contact your software Author
    >>>>
    >>>> chas2209
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks but I am the software author and trying to debug it. The sforware
    >>> (a DLL) gets invalid handle when writing to the registry but can read it
    >>> fine. I try to add a test key under Perflib09 using regedit but it
    >>> gave me "Cannot write to regsitry". Trying to change the permission of
    >>> Perflib09 in regedit, gives Inavlid handle. I tried it with several
    >>> other keys (including Perflib itself) and all worked fine. What can be
    >>> different with 009? All the permissions seem to be the same as any
    >>> other.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page