1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Reg File Association of Reg File

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mcowley01, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. mcowley01

    mcowley01 Guest

    I did a registry scan/fix using ccleaner. When I first clicked on the
    resulting backup reg file to restore the registry settings I was told to
    create a file association in the control panel. At start of that process
    I accidentally associated it with notepad (missed the chance to select
    'merge' in the context menu also). After some elevated use of the
    command prompt i now have in the set association control panel:
    "filename=-reg, description = REG file and current default = unknown
    application"
    There doesn't seem to be any program available to be associated with
    the REG file. (And 'merge' is no longer an option in the context menu).
    Does anyone know the solution?


    --
    mcowley01
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mcowley01's Profile:
    View this thread:


     
  2. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    Use System Restore and restore the system to a System Restore Point that
    preceded the system change.

    Saucy


    "mcowley01" <mcowley01.3xuxva@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    news:mcowley01.3xuxva@DoNotSpam.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I did a registry scan/fix using ccleaner. When I first clicked on the
    > resulting backup reg file to restore the registry settings I was told to
    > create a file association in the control panel. At start of that process
    > I accidentally associated it with notepad (missed the chance to select
    > 'merge' in the context menu also). After some elevated use of the
    > command prompt i now have in the set association control panel:
    > "filename=-reg, description = REG file and current default = unknown
    > application"
    > There doesn't seem to be any program available to be associated with
    > the REG file. (And 'merge' is no longer an option in the context menu).
    > Does anyone know the solution?
    >
    >
    > --
    > mcowley01
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > mcowley01's Profile:
    > View this thread:

    >
    >

    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Brink

    Brink Guest

    Hello Mcowley,

    Double check to make sure that the file extension type *REG* is set
    with a Current Default program of regedit in '*_Default_Programs_*'
    (). You may
    need to browse to it's location at *C:\Windows\regedit.exe* to select
    it. Afterwards, see if the REG file will work for you properly.

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    mcowley01;1126277 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I did a registry scan/fix using ccleaner. When I first clicked on the
    > resulting backup reg file to restore the registry settings I was told
    > to
    > create a file association in the control panel. At start of that
    > process
    > I accidentally associated it with notepad (missed the chance to select
    > 'merge' in the context menu also). After some elevated use of the
    > command prompt i now have in the set association control panel:
    > "filename=-reg, description = REG file and current default = unknown
    > application"
    > There doesn't seem to be any program available to be associated with
    > the REG file. (And 'merge' is no longer an option in the context menu).
    > Does anyone know the solution?
    >
    >
    > --
    > mcowley01
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > mcowley01's Profile: 'mcowley01's profile on TechArena Computer
    > Hardware Support Forums of India'
    > (
    )
    > View this thread: 'Reg File Association of Reg File - Vista Help'
    > (
    )
    >
    > 'TechArena Community' (
    )<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    --
    Brink

    '*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
    (
    )
    *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    them.*
    '*Windows 7 Forums*' (
    )
    '*Windows Vista Forums*' (
    )

    *Please post feedback to help others.*
     

Share This Page