1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Recording audio from the web

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BudV, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. John B

    John B Guest

    On Sep 6, 12:13 pm, "Cal Bear '66" <x1x...@x1x1x1.org> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > First, and most important, what sound card or onboard audio adapter do you have
    > (check in Control Panel > Device Manager > Expand Sound, video and game
    > controllers)?
    >
    > If you have a Creative card, or an onboard Realtek audio adapter, right click on
    > the speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, and select Recording
    > Devices.  For Creative right click on What-U-Hear, and select "Set as Default
    > Device".  If you have a Realtek audio adapter, right click  on Stereo Mix, and
    > select "Set as Default Device".  You can then record audio playing on your PC
    > without picking up any room sounds.
    >
    > If you do not see the above options -- or something similar --, right click on
    > an empty area of the Recording tab window, and select BOTH "Show Disabled
    > Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices:.
    >
    > --
    > I Bleed Blue and Gold
    >        GO BEARS!
    >
    > "BudV" <BudVit...@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:B3FCE865-3C3D-45E8-9A9F-29FA93FF5F4A@microsoft.com...
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > For a moment there, it looked as though you had exactly what I wanted; but if
    > > "any source" includes the built-in mic then it's going to hear the screaming
    > > grandkids, isn't it?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > "Beamish" <beami...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >news:ejqQFqwLKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> Hello,
    > >> I use "Total Recorder" the Pro version, a paid for software application.
    > >> It will pick up any sound from any source coming into the computer, before
    > >> the
    > >> sound reaches the sound card.
    > >> take care.
    > >> beamish.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thank you for posting this information. I have never been able to find
    the instructions for setting up Sound Recorder to work with my Realtek
    audio adapter.
    And the only additional thing that I had to do was change the stereo
    mix properties from 1 channel to 2 channel to get stereo recording.

    This is what newsgroups are for!

    John B
     
  2. BudV

    BudV Guest

    What's the emoticon for "embarrassed?"

    Obviously, I interpreted "any source" as "all sources" instead of as "any
    single source", even though common sense should have told me that the former
    is not a reasonable option. Damn those senior moments!

    Thanks again for your help.

    "Beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OPfwCr9LKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "BudV" <BudVitoff@msn.com> wrote in message
    > news:B3FCE865-3C3D-45E8-9A9F-29FA93FF5F4A@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> For a moment there, it looked as though you had exactly what I wanted;
    >> but if "any source" includes the built-in mic then it's going to hear the
    >> screaming grandkids, isn't it?
    >>
    >> "Beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:ejqQFqwLKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I use "Total Recorder" the Pro version, a paid for software application.
    >>> It will pick up any sound from any source coming into the computer,
    >>> before the
    >>> sound reaches the sound card.
    >>> take care.
    >>> beamish.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Hello,
    > Any source means you pick the source you want to use.
    > The application deals with sound you choose the source.
    >
    > take care.
    > beamish.
    >
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Thanks to the forum, I have something that works for me, and there's no need
    to continue this thread. BUT...

    I have retired from over 50 years of programming, and suffer from the
    curiosity that I think makes a good programmer. If you share my attitude
    and want to stick around, be my guest. Of course, if I don't have any
    guests, I'll just wrap it up.

    I hear about downloading MP3 stuff all the time, but I have never had the
    need to do so. What this thread has been dealing with is a nine-day series
    of interview/lectures (two one-hour sessions per day) which my daughter is
    interested in. Unfortunately, she's out of town and asked me to capture the
    series for her. I'm doing that, and everything is cool.

    Stop me if I go wrong here. These are one-hour sessions because it takes
    that long to speak/hear that much data. I suspect that if I were merely
    copying that data, I could download it much faster (and she could play it at
    an audible rate later). That's why I'm pursuing this. If I'm all wet on
    this, then I'm done.

    Some of the replies referred to "downloading the MP3" or words to that
    effect. That makes me visualize a screen that includes a list of filenames,
    and all I have to do is select the one I want and click "download". If
    that's what I had available, I could have handled that with no sweat, even
    at my age.

    What I have, though, is a site -- --
    that asks me to choose a red door or a green door. As soon as I do that, a
    page comes up, loads the data (fast) from SOMEWHERE, and starts playing it
    and that audible signal is what I'm recording. What I would like to do, I
    think, is simply download that fast-loading file.

    FYI: Today, Labor Day, the site is dealing with Day 4. This number changes
    every evening at 7:00 CDT.
     
  4. Beamish

    Beamish Guest

    "BudV" <BudVitoff@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:2224C29B-5A03-4362-8486-E418D69E6B3C@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks to the forum, I have something that works for me, and there's no
    > need to continue this thread. BUT...
    >
    > I have retired from over 50 years of programming, and suffer from the
    > curiosity that I think makes a good programmer. If you share my attitude
    > and want to stick around, be my guest. Of course, if I don't have any
    > guests, I'll just wrap it up.
    >
    > I hear about downloading MP3 stuff all the time, but I have never had the
    > need to do so. What this thread has been dealing with is a nine-day
    > series of interview/lectures (two one-hour sessions per day) which my
    > daughter is interested in. Unfortunately, she's out of town and asked me
    > to capture the series for her. I'm doing that, and everything is cool.
    >
    > Stop me if I go wrong here. These are one-hour sessions because it takes
    > that long to speak/hear that much data. I suspect that if I were merely
    > copying that data, I could download it much faster (and she could play it
    > at an audible rate later). That's why I'm pursuing this. If I'm all wet
    > on this, then I'm done.
    >
    > Some of the replies referred to "downloading the MP3" or words to that
    > effect. That makes me visualize a screen that includes a list of
    > filenames, and all I have to do is select the one I want and click
    > "download". If that's what I had available, I could have handled that
    > with no sweat, even at my age.
    >
    > What I have, though, is a site -- --
    > that asks me to choose a red door or a green door. As soon as I do that,
    > a page comes up, loads the data (fast) from SOMEWHERE, and starts playing
    > it and that audible signal is what I'm recording. What I would like to
    > do, I think, is simply download that fast-loading file.
    >
    > FYI: Today, Labor Day, the site is dealing with Day 4. This number
    > changes every evening at 7:00 CDT.
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hello,
    Visited the site posted.
    There are 4 choices, red and green doors are for on-line audio.
    Gold and Platinum, discs' mailed and download files.
    From this I conclude you need to pay to download files.
    From the way it is posted these items are sold to the individual.
    You are correct concerning downloading the files.
    Download speed between the site server and your connection
    would give you the time factor, more likely several minutes per file.
    MP3 is a compressed audio file format, there are other audio formats.
    Don't be too concerned about "senior moments", I am a "senior moment".
    Five minuets and it is all new.
    take care.
    beamish.
     
  5. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Naturally I was going for the cheap way out -- free is nice.

    I'm not sure how to interpret "... the time factor, more likely several
    minutes per file." I have selected statistics from what I've been playing
    with:

    File ext. Size Playing time Type
    ..wma 35.7MB 0:50 What I got for "out from
    speaker, in to mic"
    ..ogg 37.7MB 1:10 Ogg vorbis - unique to
    Audacity?
    ..mp3 10.4MB 0:45 Straight download of .mp3
    bonus they offered. Download time 1:08.

    I'm sure I tried to export as .wav, as well. I don't remember why I decided
    against using it.

    Of course, the first two download times = playing times.

    ..mp3 wins hands down. Apparently what I'm seeing on the site is their
    loading an .mp3 file and downloading it in an audio format. The big
    question is can I find their input file and download that? Note that I'm
    assuming (!) that its in .mp3 format. It may not be, right?

    Just for curiosity's sake, of course. I'll stick with .ogg for now. There
    are only five days left.

    But it could happen again! :)


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello,
    > Visited the site posted.
    > There are 4 choices, red and green doors are for on-line audio.
    > Gold and Platinum, discs' mailed and download files.
    > From this I conclude you need to pay to download files.
    > From the way it is posted these items are sold to the individual.
    > You are correct concerning downloading the files.
    > Download speed between the site server and your connection
    > would give you the time factor, more likely several minutes per file.
    > MP3 is a compressed audio file format, there are other audio formats.
    > Don't be too concerned about "senior moments", I am a "senior moment".
    > Five minuets and it is all new.
    > take care.
    > beamish.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Dave-UK gave you an answer: VideoCacheView.
    Use Internet Explorer. The audio will be downloaded into the browser
    cache. VideoCacheView allows you to easily save the audio file that's
    in the cache. It will also give you the direct download link:




    On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:06:09 -0500, "BudV" <BudVitoff@msn.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Naturally I was going for the cheap way out -- free is nice.
    >
    >I'm not sure how to interpret "... the time factor, more likely several
    >minutes per file." I have selected statistics from what I've been playing
    >with:
    >
    >File ext. Size Playing time Type
    >.wma 35.7MB 0:50 What I got for "out from
    >speaker, in to mic"
    >.ogg 37.7MB 1:10 Ogg vorbis - unique to
    >Audacity?
    >.mp3 10.4MB 0:45 Straight download of .mp3
    >bonus they offered. Download time 1:08.
    >
    >I'm sure I tried to export as .wav, as well. I don't remember why I decided
    >against using it.
    >
    >Of course, the first two download times = playing times.
    >
    >.mp3 wins hands down. Apparently what I'm seeing on the site is their
    >loading an .mp3 file and downloading it in an audio format. The big
    >question is can I find their input file and download that? Note that I'm
    >assuming (!) that its in .mp3 format. It may not be, right?
    >
    >Just for curiosity's sake, of course. I'll stick with .ogg for now. There
    >are only five days left.
    >
    >But it could happen again! :)
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello,
    >> Visited the site posted.
    >> There are 4 choices, red and green doors are for on-line audio.
    >> Gold and Platinum, discs' mailed and download files.
    >> From this I conclude you need to pay to download files.
    >> From the way it is posted these items are sold to the individual.
    >> You are correct concerning downloading the files.
    >> Download speed between the site server and your connection
    >> would give you the time factor, more likely several minutes per file.
    >> MP3 is a compressed audio file format, there are other audio formats.
    >> Don't be too concerned about "senior moments", I am a "senior moment".
    >> Five minuets and it is all new.
    >> take care.
    >> beamish.
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Beamish

    Beamish Guest

    "BudV" <BudVitoff@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:DD1C6C43-5FA7-49C6-84E6-167B25EB2AE3@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Naturally I was going for the cheap way out -- free is nice.
    >
    > I'm not sure how to interpret "... the time factor, more likely several
    > minutes per file." I have selected statistics from what I've been playing
    > with:
    >
    > File ext. Size Playing time Type
    > .wma 35.7MB 0:50 What I got for "out from
    > speaker, in to mic"
    > .ogg 37.7MB 1:10 Ogg vorbis - unique to
    > Audacity?
    > .mp3 10.4MB 0:45 Straight download of .mp3
    > bonus they offered. Download time 1:08.
    >
    > I'm sure I tried to export as .wav, as well. I don't remember why I
    > decided against using it.
    >
    > Of course, the first two download times = playing times.
    >
    > .mp3 wins hands down. Apparently what I'm seeing on the site is their
    > loading an .mp3 file and downloading it in an audio format. The big
    > question is can I find their input file and download that? Note that I'm
    > assuming (!) that its in .mp3 format. It may not be, right?
    >
    > Just for curiosity's sake, of course. I'll stick with .ogg for now.
    > There are only five days left.
    >
    > But it could happen again! :)
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello,
    >> Visited the site posted.
    >> There are 4 choices, red and green doors are for on-line audio.
    >> Gold and Platinum, discs' mailed and download files.
    >> From this I conclude you need to pay to download files.
    >> From the way it is posted these items are sold to the individual.
    >> You are correct concerning downloading the files.
    >> Download speed between the site server and your connection
    >> would give you the time factor, more likely several minutes per file.
    >> MP3 is a compressed audio file format, there are other audio formats.
    >> Don't be too concerned about "senior moments", I am a "senior moment".
    >> Five minuets and it is all new.
    >> take care.
    >> beamish.
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Hello,
    Download capability a combination of your ISP service and from the site you
    are downloading files.
    I purchase from a cable company 1MB/s download ability (lowest offered,
    lowest price), if I want more need to pay more.
    Download sites usually allow X amount/s download.
    One may have a T1 line but the download site may allow files to download at
    1MB/s.

    There are many different audio file types, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 and WMA and
    others.
    Conversion applications exist (free and pay), for all types of file formats.
    Converting allows one to change file format from say MP3 to WMA, I change
    all audio files to the MP3 format.

    Other posters, such as Andy posted good information concerning what you are
    interested in accomplishing.
    VideoCacheView, a free application, that you would download and install.

    The internet gives access to information and due to the generosity on many
    individuals free programs and applications, allowing people to have access
    to programs that otherwise they could not afford.

    take care.
    beamish.
     
  8. Jon

    Jon Guest

    You can do this using the inbuilt Vista applications, by recording from
    'Stereo mix' , as others have hinted.

    With Movie Maker it's 'Tools > Narrate Timeline' and you can also record
    directly using Sound Recorder. To do that you set 'Stereo mix' as your
    default recording device.

    Re the specific website, the urls for the mp3 files are visible via 'View >
    Source' (then search for .mp3)

    --
    Jon


    "BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    news:uq6Fq7qLKHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Running a Toshiba Satellite (nice speakers) under Vista Home Premium SP2.
    >
    > There is a series of audio interviews on the web that I want to record on
    > my
    > HD.
    >
    > Currently, I'm having acceptable results simply playing through the
    > speakers
    > and picking it up through the microphone using Sound Recorder. It's not
    > exactly high fidelity, but I'm dealing with speech, not music. The only
    > problem is that it's vulnerable to any noise in the area, and four to six
    > grandkids can produce that effortlessly.
    >
    > I asked Geek Squad if I could just jumper the earphones output to the mic
    > input, thereby blocking out external noise. She said it wouldn't work
    > because ... yadda yadda .. powered mic ... yadda yadda ... a lot of extra
    > noise. She confused me further with talk about software that will do
    > this. I tried a free trial of one, but it looked as though it was still
    > depending about the output from speakers and said nothing about gagging
    > grandkids.
    >
    > Is there a way to play audio from a website and record it on my HD without
    > depending on immediate airspace?
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. BudV

    BudV Guest

    GREAT! Lots of good suggestions. I won't try to judge which method is
    better, per se. But Jon's use of View Source fits best into my
    programmer's way of thinking -- and it works for me!

    Thanks to all of you. It's been a roller coaster ride, but it's over now.

    :)


    "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    news:%23kv0UDKMKHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > You can do this using the inbuilt Vista applications, by recording from
    > 'Stereo mix' , as others have hinted.
    >
    > With Movie Maker it's 'Tools > Narrate Timeline' and you can also record
    > directly using Sound Recorder. To do that you set 'Stereo mix' as your
    > default recording device.
    >
    > Re the specific website, the urls for the mp3 files are visible via 'View <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Source' (then search for .mp3)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Jon
    >
    >
    > "BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > news:uq6Fq7qLKHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Running a Toshiba Satellite (nice speakers) under Vista Home Premium SP2.
    >>
    >> There is a series of audio interviews on the web that I want to record on
    >> my
    >> HD.
    >>
    >> Currently, I'm having acceptable results simply playing through the
    >> speakers
    >> and picking it up through the microphone using Sound Recorder. It's not
    >> exactly high fidelity, but I'm dealing with speech, not music. The only
    >> problem is that it's vulnerable to any noise in the area, and four to six
    >> grandkids can produce that effortlessly.
    >>
    >> I asked Geek Squad if I could just jumper the earphones output to the mic
    >> input, thereby blocking out external noise. She said it wouldn't work
    >> because ... yadda yadda .. powered mic ... yadda yadda ... a lot of extra
    >> noise. She confused me further with talk about software that will do
    >> this. I tried a free trial of one, but it looked as though it was still
    >> depending about the output from speakers and said nothing about gagging
    >> grandkids.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to play audio from a website and record it on my HD
    >> without depending on immediate airspace?
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page