1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Re: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by flashrob, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. flashrob

    flashrob Guest

    I had this same problem suddenly...

    checked just about everything to do with networking...

    a. couldn't access the lan on hardwire...
    b. windows diagnostics advised THEY COULDN'T FIX AND TO CALL MY ISP.
    c. I knew that was "bull!"

    HERE'S THE SOLUTION THAT FIXED EVERYTHING:

    a. first, just a point...I had a HP printer on the network... that DID
    WORK...but I couldn't access any folders or directories on the network
    (previously had been able to).

    b. the CULPRIT: HP SmartUpdate ... THIS IS SOME NEW PKG THAT HP CAME
    UP WITH... that obviously has a problem with Vista... this program
    installed, I guess because HP noticed I didn't HAVE IT when I checked
    for an update or whatever of my printer software... so I probably gave
    them permission and downloaded and installed it...anyway

    c. I went into CONTROL PANEL... and "add remove programs" is no longer
    there... IT IS NOW IN A FOLDER ICON CALLED..."Programs and Features"
    (Msft ...my rec: "if it ain't broke... don't fix it!")...anyway

    I DELETED "HP SMARTUPDATE" AND "VOILA" ...ALL MY NETWORK LOCATIONS
    FILES/FOLDERS WERE "BACK!"

    so, just get rid of HP SmartUpdate...I of course didn't delete any of
    the other HP software for my printers/scanners, etc.

    sure a lot of people have HP printers so hope this help a lot!

    regards,

    flashrob

    c.


    --
    flashrob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    flashrob's Profile:
    View this thread:


     
  2. flashrob

    flashrob Guest

    also... still had some problems occasionally... so I deleted "all my HP
    software" ...except for the ACTUAL DRIVER PROGRAMS FOR THE PRINTER AND
    SCANNER, on all computers.

    also... got a win DEP msg and had to reactivate that... now all is well
    on my network...(DEP data execution prevention, it seems when that
    somehow became deactivated I couldn't see the network...etc.) ...sorry,
    I can't be clearer... I just got the laptop... and have little
    experience with Vista... though I can say their security level is
    CUMBERSOME... Msft ought to have a "disable the whole thing" thing...
    after-all...I'm just a home-user and DON'T NEED "ARMOR PLATED SECURITY"
    LIKE SOME BIG COMPANY...

    one other thing: when I tried to access the "vista network" from an
    "xp machine" ...it couldn't find the vista computer...but then I
    specified the exact "path" like: \\vista laptop\public on the xp
    machine...and it found the vista network (after considerable time) and
    IT ASKED ME FOR THE "COMPUTER NAME AND PASSWORD." ...WHICH I ENTERED
    AND THEN GOT ACCESS...

    ...this surprised me because on another XP desktop...it found the
    network right away without a fuss, and not sign-in.

    anyway,

    regards,

    flashrob


    --
    flashrob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    flashrob's Profile:
    View this thread:


     
  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "flashrob" <flashrob.3xpgnd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    news:flashrob.3xpgnd@DoNotSpam.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > also... still had some problems occasionally... so I deleted "all my HP
    > software" ...except for the ACTUAL DRIVER PROGRAMS FOR THE PRINTER AND
    > SCANNER, on all computers.
    >
    > also... got a win DEP msg and had to reactivate that... now all is well
    > on my network...(DEP data execution prevention, it seems when that
    > somehow became deactivated I couldn't see the network...etc.) ...sorry,
    > I can't be clearer... I just got the laptop... and have little
    > experience with Vista... though I can say their security level is
    > CUMBERSOME... Msft ought to have a "disable the whole thing" thing...
    > after-all...I'm just a home-user and DON'T NEED "ARMOR PLATED SECURITY"
    > LIKE SOME BIG COMPANY...
    >
    > one other thing: when I tried to access the "vista network" from an
    > "xp machine" ...it couldn't find the vista computer...but then I
    > specified the exact "path" like: \vista laptoppublic on the xp
    > machine...and it found the vista network (after considerable time) and
    > IT ASKED ME FOR THE "COMPUTER NAME AND PASSWORD." ...WHICH I ENTERED
    > AND THEN GOT ACCESS...
    >
    > ..this surprised me because on another XP desktop...it found the
    > network right away without a fuss, and not sign-in.
    >
    > anyway,
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > flashrob
    >
    >
    > --
    > flashrob
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > flashrob's Profile:
    > View this thread:

    >
    >

    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The first thing you should do is get that Caps Lock key fixed! You keep
    yelling like this and no one will pay attention to you.

    Not to mention you're trying to revive a 2 year old thread!

    --

    Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
     
  4. flashrob

    flashrob Guest

    the caps are for emphasis

    you should pay more attention to the substance instead of the delivery

    since a google search for the problem came up with this site... even
    though the thread is old... others with the same problem will probably
    show up here... because their are no new posts DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE
    AREN'T LOOKING AT THE PAGE...

    update: Vista has a problem with older routers ... the link below
    helped ... I reset the registry entries as indicated in the fix on the
    page...IN THE FINAL SUBSET OF THE REGISTRY TREE ...I had 3 items for
    network cards ... I couldn't identify any cards, so I found the code
    indicated and SET THE VALUE TO "0" for all the items ...which is the
    last reccommendation on the page...I also made sure both by lan adapter
    and wireless adapter were both set to DHCP in their respective
    properties boxes.



    this seemed to work, as I got my hard-wired network showing...

    one other issue THAT I TESTED ...don't have you're wireless receiver
    ENABLED when you're using a hard-wired lan connection... my network
    locations kept disapearing and re-appearing every few minutes... stopped
    after I disabled the wirelesss connection... IT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO
    SHUT OFF THE WIRELESS RADIO SWITCH... you could leave that on... but you
    had to ACTUALLY DISABLE THE wireless CONNECTION.

    hope that helps some

    flashrob


    --
    flashrob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    flashrob's Profile:

    View this thread:


     

Share This Page