1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Re: Dos Printing in Vista ... HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by douggrif, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. douggrif

    douggrif Guest

    Wizard;131288 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > This line has always worked in every version of Windows including XP;
    > why won't it allow my DOS programs to print now in VIsta? "net use
    > LPT1
    > \wizardHP960c /persistent:yes"
    >
    > Where: wizard = machine name
    > HP960c = Printer's Share name<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I experienced the identical same problem. Nothing worked including such
    programs as PrintFil, etc. No problems with XP, just with VISTA. Using
    "Net Use" I could get a DOS legacy program to print, but it took 3
    minutes before it started. Detective work proved the problem was with
    Vista recognizing the DOS print as closed so it could release the print
    through the network (Windows Server 2008) to the network printer. I
    never could solve the problem and then I tried Windows 7 RC (32-bit
    version). Guess what, everything went back to normal as it was in XP!
    "Net Use" works again. I plan on purchasing enough Windows 7 copies to
    cover the workstations that use the old DOS legacy programs.


    --
    douggrif
    Posted via
     
  2. "douggrif" <douggrif.3y7oo3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:douggrif.3y7oo3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Wizard;131288 Wrote: <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> This line has always worked in every version of Windows including XP;
    >> why won't it allow my DOS programs to print now in VIsta? "net use
    >> LPT1
    >> wizardHP960c /persistent:yes"
    >>
    >> Where: wizard = machine name
    >> HP960c = Printer's Share name<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I experienced the identical same problem. Nothing worked including such
    > programs as PrintFil, etc. No problems with XP, just with VISTA. Using
    > "Net Use" I could get a DOS legacy program to print, but it took 3
    > minutes before it started. Detective work proved the problem was with
    > Vista recognizing the DOS print as closed so it could release the print
    > through the network (Windows Server 2008) to the network printer. I
    > never could solve the problem and then I tried Windows 7 RC (32-bit
    > version). Guess what, everything went back to normal as it was in XP!
    > "Net Use" works again. I plan on purchasing enough Windows 7 copies to
    > cover the workstations that use the old DOS legacy programs.
    >
    >
    > --
    > douggrif
    > Posted via
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The printer is waiting for a "form-feed" command which it does not get from the DOS based file.
    Press the "form-feed" button on the printer and it should then print your document.
     
  3. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    we already know since 2 years ago, Win7 is a fix for stupid Vista
     
  4. douggrif

    douggrif Guest

    Richard in AZ;1554725 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "douggrif" <douggrif.3y7oo3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
    > message news:douggrif.3y7oo3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >
    > > Wizard;131288 Wrote: <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> This line has always worked in every version of Windows including<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > XP;<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> why won't it allow my DOS programs to print now in VIsta? "net use
    > >> LPT1
    > >> wizardHP960c /persistent:yes"
    > >>
    > >> Where: wizard = machine name
    > >> HP960c = Printer's Share name<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > > I experienced the identical same problem. Nothing worked including<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > such<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > programs as PrintFil, etc. No problems with XP, just with VISTA.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > Using<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > "Net Use" I could get a DOS legacy program to print, but it took 3
    > > minutes before it started. Detective work proved the problem was<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > with<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > Vista recognizing the DOS print as closed so it could release the<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > print<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > through the network (Windows Server 2008) to the network printer. I
    > > never could solve the problem and then I tried Windows 7 RC (32-bit
    > > version). Guess what, everything went back to normal as it was in<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > XP!<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > "Net Use" works again. I plan on purchasing enough Windows 7 copies<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > to<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > cover the workstations that use the old DOS legacy programs.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > douggrif
    > > Posted via
    > ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > The printer is waiting for a "form-feed" command which it does not get
    > from the DOS based file.
    > Press the "form-feed" button on the printer and it should then print
    > your document.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I had heard that and I had added a "form feed" , but the problem still
    persisted for me meaning that almost exactly 3 minutes would pass before
    the Vista workstation released the print into the network to the network
    printer. Only Windows 7 RC works exactly like XP always had.


    --
    douggrif
    Posted via
     

Share This Page