1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

question about installing second partition and activation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by richk, Sep 3, 2009.

  1. richk

    richk Guest

    I have a machine that came with Vista Ultimate 32-bit pre-installed.
    (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad) I have recovery disks that will install a factory
    image, rather than a "real" vista disk, although I do have vista ultimate
    disks from another machine (desktop). The laptop has a vista ultimate COA
    on the bottom. I would like to install a second vista ultimate partition
    onto the thinkpad, because I need to be able to run an OS that is really
    stripped-down (no internet, anti-virus, etc) because I occasionally need to
    run applications that are adversely affected by any background tasks. I
    assume that because vista ultimate is licensed on the machine, there isn't a
    problem running 2 copies. Can I just install from my desktop disks and
    activate using the laptop's COA? I assume I would need to call and talk to
    a human being. True?

    Thanks in advance

    Rich
     
  2. A Windows licence is for one copy only on one machine. Installing a
    second copy is not legal, even on the same machine.

    Have you considered running the applications with high priority and
    creating a user account with limited access to the processes and
    programs which might interfere?


    On 03/09/2009 21:49, richk wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a machine that came with Vista Ultimate 32-bit pre-installed.
    > (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad) I have recovery disks that will install a factory
    > image, rather than a "real" vista disk, although I do have vista
    > ultimate disks from another machine (desktop). The laptop has a vista
    > ultimate COA on the bottom. I would like to install a second vista
    > ultimate partition onto the thinkpad, because I need to be able to run
    > an OS that is really stripped-down (no internet, anti-virus, etc)
    > because I occasionally need to run applications that are adversely
    > affected by any background tasks. I assume that because vista ultimate
    > is licensed on the machine, there isn't a problem running 2 copies. Can
    > I just install from my desktop disks and activate using the laptop's
    > COA? I assume I would need to call and talk to a human being. True?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Rich<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Saucy

    Saucy Guest

    I think Dominic's suggestion about "High Priority" is a good one:

    Right-click on the Taskbar and select "Start Task Manager" > under the
    "Application tab" right click on the application you want to have better
    performance and select "Go to Process" > you will be delivered to the
    appropriate process under the Processes tab > right-click > Set Priority <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >select "High" > then affirm any dialogue boxes and click any OKs etc. etc <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    etc.

    You can try "Realtime", but I don't recommend it because selecting this can
    sometimes cause problems (unresponsiveness etc.) as the single process can
    receive inordinate amounts of dedication.

    As for setting up a dualboot (multiboot) .. well .. not ideal .. you will
    find it inconvenient etc. etc. .. PITA switching out of one operating system
    to boot into the other etc. etc.

    One thing you might consider too (if you haven't already done so) is add RAM
    to the laptop. If you laptop has only 1 GB RAM say, buy some RAM (it's
    relatively inexpensive these days) and bounce your system up to two or four
    GB RAM. Vista is a bit of a RAM hog and you will notice quite a performance
    boost going from one to two or more GBs RAM. One GB RAM is not enough for
    Vista.

    Saucy


    "richk" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:OWQGEgNLKHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a machine that came with Vista Ultimate 32-bit pre-installed.
    > (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad) I have recovery disks that will install a factory
    > image, rather than a "real" vista disk, although I do have vista ultimate
    > disks from another machine (desktop). The laptop has a vista ultimate COA
    > on the bottom. I would like to install a second vista ultimate partition
    > onto the thinkpad, because I need to be able to run an OS that is really
    > stripped-down (no internet, anti-virus, etc) because I occasionally need
    > to run applications that are adversely affected by any background tasks.
    > I assume that because vista ultimate is licensed on the machine, there
    > isn't a problem running 2 copies. Can I just install from my desktop
    > disks and activate using the laptop's COA? I assume I would need to call
    > and talk to a human being. True?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Rich <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Hi richk,

    I would go with Lenovo recovery disks.
    Licenses need to match the software "SKU" (or type).
    For example:
    Retail Software (box) = Retail License
    OEM Software (Lenovo)= OEM License

    You cannot activate, for example, Retail Software with OEM License key and
    vice versa.

    IOW, I'm not sure that you will be able to activate installation made from
    your desktop disks with a key on yor COA on your laptop.

    But you should have no problem installing and activating two instances of
    Vista supplied by Lenovo on your laptop computer.



    "richk" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:OWQGEgNLKHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a machine that came with Vista Ultimate 32-bit pre-installed.
    > (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad) I have recovery disks that will install a factory
    > image, rather than a "real" vista disk, although I do have vista ultimate
    > disks from another machine (desktop). The laptop has a vista ultimate COA
    > on the bottom. I would like to install a second vista ultimate partition
    > onto the thinkpad, because I need to be able to run an OS that is really
    > stripped-down (no internet, anti-virus, etc) because I occasionally need
    > to run applications that are adversely affected by any background tasks.
    > I assume that because vista ultimate is licensed on the machine, there
    > isn't a problem running 2 copies. Can I just install from my desktop
    > disks and activate using the laptop's COA? I assume I would need to call
    > and talk to a human being. True?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Rich <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page