1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting Offfice 2003 to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GregNga, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. David B.

    David B. Guest

    Your blowing BS, there's no way you could have determined the OP wanted to
    do that from his post. Regardless, it is STILL not porting.

    --


    ------
    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%237$P4NYMKHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > That is not what the OP meant. I should have used port instead of porting.
    > The OP wanted to copy his Office 2003 install over to the new laptop via
    > his port specifically his in and out ports. That is how the post was
    > intended to sound and that is what he meant.
    > Sorry about my choice of words. I know what porting is but in my haste
    > answering I wrongfully posted. Thanks for catching that
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    >
    > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >
    > "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:OilYmQXMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Ken
    >>>
    >>> Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via
    >>> cable and ports<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application
    >> to run on a platform it wasn't written for initially.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  2. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    whs wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > John Galt;1131745 Wrote: <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> whs <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    >>>> install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97
    >>> will
    >>>> even install on Vista. > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> 1) You are going to have to learn to quote/copy what you are replying
    >> to. You vBulletin users are a PITA, but learning to do that will
    >> reduce your annoyance factor considerably.
    >>
    >> 2) Inserting a qualifying CD will do it just fine.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Who are you to tell me what to do. I guess in the future I stay away
    > from those "Guest postings" - to much bother with you guys and too much
    > rude abuse.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You should provide at least a snippit of what you are replying to. If you are unable to do
    that, I suggest staying away from computers and getting an Etch-A-Sketch.
     
  3. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    Gordon wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via
    >> cable and ports<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application
    > to run on a platform it wasn't written for initially.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Err- Not this time <sigh> err. He wants Err, to copy the program Err and the data Err over to
    the new system. Err <sigh>.

    Err.
     
  4. KristleBawl

    KristleBawl Guest

    Bill Yanaire wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Err- Not this time <sigh> err. He wants Err, to copy the program Err
    > and the data Err over to the new system. Err <sigh>.
    >
    > Err.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Err, tired, Bill?
     
  5. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    KristleBawl wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Err- Not this time <sigh> err. He wants Err, to copy the program Err
    >> and the data Err over to the new system. Err <sigh>.
    >>
    >> Err.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Err, tired, Bill?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No. Why do you ask?
     
  6. Here's what David B. wrote on 9/10/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Your blowing BS, there's no way you could have determined the OP wanted to do
    > that from his post. Regardless, it is STILL not porting.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I had no trouble inferring what the OP meant...

    I would have disagreed about the definition of porting, but the
    available dictionaries don't support me there :)
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > ------
    > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:%237$P4NYMKHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> That is not what the OP meant. I should have used port instead of porting.
    >> The OP wanted to copy his Office 2003 install over to the new laptop via
    >> his port specifically his in and out ports. That is how the post was
    >> intended to sound and that is what he meant.
    >> Sorry about my choice of words. I know what porting is but in my haste
    >> answering I wrongfully posted. Thanks for catching that
    >>
    >> -- Peter
    >>
    >> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    >> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:OilYmQXMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >>>> Ken
    >>>>
    >>>> Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via
    >>>> cable and ports
    >>>
    >>> Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application to
    >>> run on a platform it wasn't written for initially.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  7. Here's what whs wrote on 9/09/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > John Galt;1131745 Wrote: <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> whs <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    >>>> install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97 will
    >>>> even install on Vista. > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> 1) You are going to have to learn to quote/copy what you are replying
    >> to. You vBulletin users are a PITA, but learning to do that will
    >> reduce your annoyance factor considerably.
    >>
    >> 2) Inserting a qualifying CD will do it just fine.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Who are you to tell me what to do. I guess in the future I stay away
    > from those "Guest postings" - to much bother with you guys and too much
    > rude abuse.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thank you for that decision.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  8. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >John Galt;1131745 Wrote: <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> whs <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > > >
    >> > >
    >> > >Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    >> > >install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97
    >> > will
    >> > >even install on Vista. > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> 1) You are going to have to learn to quote/copy what you are replying
    >> to. You vBulletin users are a PITA, but learning to do that will
    >> reduce your annoyance factor considerably.
    >>
    >> 2) Inserting a qualifying CD will do it just fine.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    >Who are you to tell me what to do. I guess in the future I stay away
    >from those "Guest postings" - to much bother with you guys and too much
    >rude abuse.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Expect more "rude abuse" as long as you continually post as if you are
    a raw-assed newbie.
     
  9. Office 2003 Has Compatibility Issues With Windows Vista, Just Like Office
    2007 Has Compatibility Issues With Windows 7! Why Else Would They Be Working
    On Microsoft Office 2010 Right Now (Witch Will Be Available 4 A Public Beta
    In October Provided That Microsoft Finds Some Way 2 Settle The Copy Right
    Infringement Lawsuit In The Eastern District Of Texas Involving Microsoft
    Word 2003, Word 2007 And Potentially Word 2010)!

    "GregNga" <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:A0601F65-2A14-48CB-9188-C7F4E2DFF226@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a
    > new
    > Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > wheter to believe him or not <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. David B.

    David B. Guest

    In all my years in the industry I've never heard it being used in the
    context that was suggested.

    --


    ------
    "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:uSgxBUkMKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what David B. wrote on 9/10/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Your blowing BS, there's no way you could have determined the OP wanted
    >> to do that from his post. Regardless, it is STILL not porting.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I had no trouble inferring what the OP meant...
    >
    > I would have disagreed about the definition of porting, but the available
    > dictionaries don't support me there :)
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> ------
    >> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:%237$P4NYMKHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> That is not what the OP meant. I should have used port instead of
    >>> porting. The OP wanted to copy his Office 2003 install over to the new
    >>> laptop via his port specifically his in and out ports. That is how the
    >>> post was intended to sound and that is what he meant.
    >>> Sorry about my choice of words. I know what porting is but in my haste
    >>> answering I wrongfully posted. Thanks for catching that
    >>>
    >>> -- Peter
    >>>
    >>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    >>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >>>
    >>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:OilYmQXMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >>>>
    >>>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >>>>> Ken
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via
    >>>>> cable and ports
    >>>>
    >>>> Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application
    >>>> to run on a platform it wasn't written for initially.
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  11. On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:52:57 -0400, David B. wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In all my years in the industry I've never heard it being used in the
    > context that was suggested.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Try to be flexible :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     
  12. David B.

    David B. Guest

    Rather than change the definition of terms to meet a novices usage I find it
    more productive to educate people on the correct terminology, so they don't
    make the same mistake again, and we end up with what should be a 3 or 4 post
    thread turning into the mess this one has become.

    --


    ------
    "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
    news:ax56duvxt09f.7t80r8zh7h9g$.dlg@40tude.net...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:52:57 -0400, David B. wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> In all my years in the industry I've never heard it being used in the
    >> context that was suggested.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Try to be flexible :)
    >
    > --
    > Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. GregNga

    GregNga Guest

    thanks for the info, I actually meant "iinstall" rather than "port", my bad

    assuming the key can be used 3 times, can I have it on more than one
    computer at the same time or do I have to remove it from my old one if I put
    it on my new one. I have it on my desktop and I just bought a lap top and
    would like to put it there also. I've only used the key once time. I don't
    want Office 2007, if I have to I'll wait for Office 2010

    "whs" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Check your 2003 license. Chances are it is good for installation on 3
    > systems. Then you should have no problem installing it on Vista (unless
    > you already used the key 3 times).
    >
    >
    > --
    > whs
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  14. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    GregNga <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >thanks for the info, I actually meant "iinstall" rather than "port", my bad
    >
    >assuming the key can be used 3 times, can I have it on more than one
    >computer at the same time or do I have to remove it from my old one if I put
    >it on my new one. I have it on my desktop and I just bought a lap top and
    >would like to put it there also. I've only used the key once time. I don't
    >want Office 2007, if I have to I'll wait for Office 2010<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You may install it on your desktop and on your laptop. In fact, I
    don't think MS built any controls at all in versions 2003 and earlier.
     
  15. On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:39:01 -0700, GregNga
    <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > thanks for the info, I actually meant "iinstall" rather than "port", my bad
    >
    > assuming the key can be used 3 times, <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    There is *no* restriction on using it only three times. It can be used
    as often as desired, as long as you don't violate the EULA with
    respect to where it's installed simultaneously.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > can I have it on more than one
    > computer at the same time or do I have to remove it from my old one if I put
    > it on my new one.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    It depends. If yours is a retail version, the EULA permits having it
    installed on one desktop *and* one laptop. But if it's an OEM Version,
    no, no you may not do that.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have it on my desktop and I just bought a lap top and
    > would like to put it there also. I've only used the key once time. I don't
    > want Office 2007, if I have to I'll wait for Office 2010
    >
    > "whs" wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >
    > > Check your 2003 license. Chances are it is good for installation on 3
    > > systems. Then you should have no problem installing it on Vista (unless
    > > you already used the key 3 times).
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > whs
    > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  16. Here's what David B. wrote on 9/14/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Rather than change the definition of terms to meet a novices usage I find it
    > more productive to educate people on the correct terminology, so they don't
    > make the same mistake again, and we end up with what should be a 3 or 4 post
    > thread turning into the mess this one has become.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Only when people can't figure out what the OP meant and then get on his
    case about it...

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  17. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:39:01 -0700, GregNga
    > <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> thanks for the info, I actually meant "iinstall" rather than "port", my bad
    >>
    >> assuming the key can be used 3 times, <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > There is *no* restriction on using it only three times. It can be used
    > as often as desired, as long as you don't violate the EULA with
    > respect to where it's installed simultaneously.
    >
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> can I have it on more than one
    >> computer at the same time or do I have to remove it from my old one if I put
    >> it on my new one.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > It depends. If yours is a retail version, the EULA permits having it
    > installed on one desktop *and* one laptop. But if it's an OEM Version,
    > no, no you may not do that. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I have an OEM version of Office 2003 and the EULA quite clearly states
    that I may install it on a desktop and a laptop.

    Alias<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I have it on my desktop and I just bought a lap top and
    >> would like to put it there also. I've only used the key once time. I don't
    >> want Office 2007, if I have to I'll wait for Office 2010
    >>
    >> "whs" wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Check your 2003 license. Chances are it is good for installation on 3
    >>> systems. Then you should have no problem installing it on Vista (unless
    >>> you already used the key 3 times).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> whs
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  18. David B.

    David B. Guest

    So you would prefer novices just remain ignorant rather than maybe trying to
    educate them a little.

    --


    ------
    "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:ON1rb6YNKHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Here's what David B. wrote on 9/14/09:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Rather than change the definition of terms to meet a novices usage I find
    >> it more productive to educate people on the correct terminology, so they
    >> don't make the same mistake again, and we end up with what should be a 3
    >> or 4 post thread turning into the mess this one has become.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Only when people can't figure out what the OP meant and then get on his
    > case about it...
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page