1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting Offfice 2003 to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GregNga, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. GregNga

    GregNga Guest

    I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    wheter to believe him or not
     
  2. GregNga wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    > Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    That salesman is either dishonest or technically clueless.

    Office 2003 will work on Vista, just fine. However, it can't be
    "ported" from one computer to another. Assuming you have a retail
    license for Office 2003 (OEM licenses are permanently bound to the
    computer with which they're originally purchased), you'll have to use
    your Office 2003 installation CD to install it on the new computer.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:




    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

    The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
     
  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "GregNga" <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:A0601F65-2A14-48CB-9188-C7F4E2DFF226@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a
    > new
    > Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    In addition to what Bruce said, here's how to migrate your Outlook data
    without tears:
    How to backup and restore Outlook





    There is out-dated information on some of these pages, specifically with
    regard to Outlook 2003 and 2007.

    The main points to note:
    1. Do NOT use the import/export function to move Outlook data from one
    version to another - all you need to do is to copy the pst file, with
    Outlook closed.

    2. Do NOT paste the copied pst file into the default location - paste into
    (for example) your Documents folder and then do File-Open-Outlook Data File
    within Outlook.

    HTH
     
  4. David B.

    David B. Guest

    As stated, Office 2003 works fine on Vista, but you'll need to reinstall it
    from your original media, if it was an OEM copy that came with your old PC
    the license does not allow you to install it on another, so you'll have to
    buy a new copy. And for future reference, "porting" means to move an app
    from one platform to another, not one PC to another.

    --


    ------
    "GregNga" <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:A0601F65-2A14-48CB-9188-C7F4E2DFF226@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a
    > new
    > Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > wheter to believe him or not <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. whs

    whs Guest

    Check your 2003 license. Chances are it is good for installation on 3
    systems. Then you should have no problem installing it on Vista (unless
    you already used the key 3 times).


    --
    whs
     
  6. On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    > Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    computer.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    they have.


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  7. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current
    > computer was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office
    > 2003 to a new Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office
    > 2007. DOn't know wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Why bother? Try OpenOffice.org first - it will most likely do everything
    you need. Highly compatible with ms office; imports and exports ms office
    files.
     
  8. Alias

    Alias Guest

    ray wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current
    >> computer was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office
    >> 2003 to a new Vista laptop? The salesman told me I needed to get Office
    >> 2007. DOn't know wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Why bother? Try OpenOffice.org first - it will most likely do everything
    > you need. Highly compatible with ms office; imports and exports ms office
    > files.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    He may need Outlook which, unfortunately, Open Office doesn't include.

    Alias
     
  9. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Ken

    Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via cable and ports

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    news:e1ffa5hrqoi9uh1nrh6tn12ld3hsquu6v4@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    > <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    >> was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    >> Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    > yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    > fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    > computer.
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    >> wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    > one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    > sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    > had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    > they have.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. GregNga

    GregNga Guest

    Thanks, yes I have the CD, however the CD is an upgrade cd of an older
    version of Office previous to Office 2003 (Office 97, I think, which I also
    have the CD for).

    So if I install it on a new Vista lap, can I use the upgrade cd or do I have
    to install the full, older version and then apply the upgrade to that

    "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    > <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    > > Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    > yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    > fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    > computer.
    >
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    > one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    > sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    > had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    > they have.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  11. Alias

    Alias Guest

    GregNga wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks, yes I have the CD, however the CD is an upgrade cd of an older
    > version of Office previous to Office 2003 (Office 97, I think, which I also
    > have the CD for).
    >
    > So if I install it on a new Vista lap, can I use the upgrade cd or do I have
    > to install the full, older version and then apply the upgrade to that<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It will ask for the old CD while installing. No need to reinstall 97.

    Alias<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    >> <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    >>> was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    >>> Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    >> yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    >> fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    >> computer.
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    >>> wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    >> one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    >> sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    >> had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    >> they have.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  12. David B.

    David B. Guest

    uuuh, if you say so.

    --


    ------
    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ken
    >
    > Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via cable
    > and ports
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    >
    > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    > news:e1ffa5hrqoi9uh1nrh6tn12ld3hsquu6v4@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    >> <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current
    >>> computer
    >>> was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a
    >>> new
    >>> Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    >> yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    >> fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    >> computer.
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    >>> wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    >> one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    >> sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    >> had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    >> they have.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ken
    >
    > Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via cable
    > and ports<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application to
    run on a platform it wasn't written for initially.
     
  14. whs

    whs Guest

    Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97 will
    even install on Vista.


    --
    whs
     
  15. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    That is not what the OP meant. I should have used port instead of porting. The OP
    wanted to copy his Office 2003 install over to the new laptop via his port
    specifically his in and out ports. That is how the post was intended to sound and
    that is what he meant.
    Sorry about my choice of words. I know what porting is but in my haste answering I
    wrongfully posted. Thanks for catching that

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:OilYmQXMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:uWFBQ6WMKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via cable and
    >> ports<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Nope. "Porting" means to create a version of the particular application to run on
    > a platform it wasn't written for initially. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  16. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Start the new install and when it asks for a previous version then just insert that
    as proof

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "GregNga" <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:E0131B28-3658-47A4-91FE-8F3056FD28B4@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks, yes I have the CD, however the CD is an upgrade cd of an older
    > version of Office previous to Office 2003 (Office 97, I think, which I also
    > have the CD for).
    >
    > So if I install it on a new Vista lap, can I use the upgrade cd or do I have
    > to install the full, older version and then apply the upgrade to that
    >
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    >> <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    >> > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    >> > Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    >> yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    >> fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    >> computer.
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    >> > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    >> one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    >> sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    >> had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    >> they have.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  17. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    >install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97 will
    >even install on Vista.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    1) You are going to have to learn to quote/copy what you are replying
    to. You vBulletin users are a PITA, but learning to do that will
    reduce your annoyance factor considerably.

    2) Inserting a qualifying CD will do it just fine.
     
  18. whs

    whs Guest

    John Galt;1131745 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > whs <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >Hmm, that may be a problem. With an upgrade CD you usually have to
    > > >install the base program first. But I am not sure whether Office97<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > > will<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > >even install on Vista. > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > 1) You are going to have to learn to quote/copy what you are replying
    > to. You vBulletin users are a PITA, but learning to do that will
    > reduce your annoyance factor considerably.
    >
    > 2) Inserting a qualifying CD will do it just fine.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Who are you to tell me what to do. I guess in the future I stay away
    from those "Guest postings" - to much bother with you guys and too much
    rude abuse.


    --
    whs
     
  19. On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:57:24 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Ken
    >
    > Porting meaning to copy over Office from one computer to another via cable and ports<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Maybe, maybe not. I wanted to know what the *OP* meant by it.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    > news:e1ffa5hrqoi9uh1nrh6tn12ld3hsquu6v4@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    > > <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > ><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > >> was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    > >> Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    > > yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    > > fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    > > computer.
    > >
    > ><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > >> wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    > > one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    > > sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    > > had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    > > they have.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  20. On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:04:01 -0700, GregNga
    <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks, yes I have the CD, however the CD is an upgrade cd of an older
    > version of Office previous to Office 2003 (Office 97, I think, which I also
    > have the CD for).
    >
    > So if I install it on a new Vista lap, can I use the upgrade cd or do I have
    > to install the full, older version and then apply the upgrade to that<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    I'm not absolutely sure. With most versions of Windows, you can
    install the Upgrade CD without a previous version being installed, by
    inserting the previous version's CD as proof of ownership. Whether you
    can do that with Office 2003, I don't know.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:09:01 -0700, GregNga
    > > <GregNga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > I am thinking of buying a laptop that has Vista on it. My current computer
    > > > was died on me and it has Office 2003 on it. Can I port Office 2003 to a new
    > > > Vista laptop?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > I don't know what you mean by "port." If you have the installation CD,
    > > yes, you can install it on your new Vista laptop, where it will work
    > > fine. Without an installation CD, no, you can't transfer it to another
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > > > The salesman told me I needed to get Office 2007. DOn't know
    > > > wheter to believe him or not<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >
    > >
    > > Don't believe him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Is this
    > > one of the big-box electronic stores? With very rare exceptions, the
    > > sales people at these stores know very little about computers. If they
    > > had real skills, they could get better jobs than the low-paying ones
    > > they have.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    > > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     

Share This Page