1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Paging Files in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by leelord, Sep 10, 2009.

  1. leelord

    leelord Guest

    I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an
    eSata
    external drive. I've heard 2 sides of how. One to let the computer
    decide (System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a
    static page file on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions
    which to use? System Managed or a Static pagefile? And if a static,
    how large on both. I have 4G Ram? Thanks.


    --
    leelord
     
  2. "leelord" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f72ee106ce623e2a1dd7a1f1267d0683@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an
    > eSata
    > external drive. I've heard 2 sides of how. One to let the computer
    > decide (System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a
    > static page file on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions
    > which to use? System Managed or a Static pagefile? And if a static,
    > how large on both. I have 4G Ram? Thanks.
    >
    >
    > --
    > leelord<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    You have heard two sides and you want someone to make the decision for you?

    Balance what each side has said and stand tall. Make your own decision!

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
     
  3. leelord

    leelord Guest

    Yes it was a question because I don't know the answer because I'm not as
    knowledgable as most. This is why I posted to get people's opinions and
    read what they write THEN yes make a decision.


    --
    leelord
     
  4. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    leelord <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Yes it was a question because I don't know the answer because I'm not as
    >knowledgable as most. This is why I posted to get people's opinions and
    >read what they write THEN yes make a decision.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You can Google "page file vista" and get what you need... MORE than
    what you need.

    Check this out:

     
  5. leelord

    leelord Guest

    Thanks so much for the link John... very informative... lots of
    information. I should have thought of google.. Duh....


    --
    leelord
     
  6. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    leelord <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >Thanks so much for the link John... very informative... lots of
    >information. I should have thought of google.. Duh....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yep. Always do that first. THEN come here if you can't find what you
    need.
     
  7. Paging files are best left alone. There's little to no benefit to trying to
    manually manage them. If you have sufficient memory for your programs they
    won't be used anyway.

    "leelord" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f72ee106ce623e2a1dd7a1f1267d0683@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an
    > eSata
    > external drive. I've heard 2 sides of how. One to let the computer
    > decide (System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a
    > static page file on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions
    > which to use? System Managed or a Static pagefile? And if a static,
    > how large on both. I have 4G Ram? Thanks.
    >
    >
    > --
    > leelord <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. "leelord" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f72ee106ce623e2a1dd7a1f1267d0683@nntp-gateway.com...
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an
    > eSata external drive. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->



    Why do you want do this?


    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I've heard 2 sides of how. One to let the computer
    > decide (System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a
    > static page file on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions
    > which to use? System Managed or a Static pagefile? <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    In the vast majority of cases, it's best to do nothing to change the
    default page file settings and not try to configure them yourself.
    Fragmentation, for example, is not an issue with the page file. I
    recommend not doing what you are planning to do.

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > And if a static,
    > how large on both. I have 4G Ram? Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    The more RAM you have, the less the page gets used. For almost
    everybody, having 4GB means that it will be used very little, and
    doing anything special with its configuration is even less likely to
    be at all productive.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  9. Not A Good Idea!

    "leelord" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f72ee106ce623e2a1dd7a1f1267d0683@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an
    > eSata
    > external drive. I've heard 2 sides of how. One to let the computer
    > decide (System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a
    > static page file on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions
    > which to use? System Managed or a Static pagefile? And if a static,
    > how large on both. I have 4G Ram? Thanks.
    >
    >
    > --
    > leelord <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. kevpan815@gmail.com wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Not A Good Idea!
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    What Is A Good Idea Is Looking For Gay Republican Senator Sex In The Mens Room And Keeping
    Track Of It With Windows 7 RC And RTM. Just FYI.
     

Share This Page