1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Paging files in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lee Lord, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Lee Lord

    Lee Lord Guest

    I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an eSata
    external drive. I've heard 2 sides how. One to let the computer decide (
    System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a static page file
    on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions which to use? System
    Managed or a Static pagefile? Thanks.

    --
    Lee Lord
     
  2. John Galt

    John Galt Guest

    Lee Lord <LeeLord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an eSata
    >external drive. I've heard 2 sides how. One to let the computer decide (
    >System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a static page file
    >on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions which to use? System
    >Managed or a Static pagefile? Thanks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Small - like, 300mb - on C.

    Full recommended size and either fixed or system managed on the SATA
    drive. My preference is for fixed (no fragmenting), but I really
    don't think it matters.
     
  3. "Lee Lord" <LeeLord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:6F8957B4-EE8D-4BEC-B4BD-20A855C73A95@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I would like to create 2 paging files, one on C: and the other on an eSata
    > external drive. I've heard 2 sides how. One to let the computer decide (
    > System Managed Size) on both drives, and the other to have a static page
    > file
    > on both as to eliminate fragmentation. Any suggestions which to use?
    > System
    > Managed or a Static pagefile? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Lee Lord<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    If your eSATA drive is used for backups, it should be powered down unless
    being used to deposit or retrieve backups. For this reason, it would be best
    not to use it for pagefiles.

    Whatever you do, 'system managed' is the best way to go if your computer is
    used as a 'general use' machine..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
     

Share This Page