1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Any way to create a link to an FTP site ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Wonderman, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    Sorry, this is OT but since everyone here is so sharp maybe you can point me
    in the right direciton.

    I have an ftp site and I have a short term need for a number of not so
    computer literate people to download items from it. I'd like to be able to
    send a link in email and have them all just click and go to the site - or -
    just have a download start. The extent of my http knowledge stops with
    setting up the site and paying he bill. Much appreciate any help.
     
  2. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found. Also no
    " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp site
    with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that helps.


    "Dusko Savatovic" <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%23VjCYNNMKHA.4572@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Dusko Savatovic" <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:e5nKs3MMKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Just type address (or URL) in a mail message or a Word document:
    >>
    >>
    >> That's all<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > And to automatically start a downoald, type the address of the full path
    > to the file, like this:
    >

    >
    > Hint:
    > You may browse to the correct place with your browser, right click the
    > file, and choose "copy shortcut". Then simply paste the shortcut into the
    > mail message.
    >
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> "Wonderman" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> news:Ocb0qvMMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Sorry, this is OT but since everyone here is so sharp maybe you can
    >>> point me in the right direciton.
    >>>
    >>> I have an ftp site and I have a short term need for a number of not so
    >>> computer literate people to download items from it. I'd like to be able
    >>> to send a link in email and have them all just click and go to the
    >>> site - or - just have a download start. The extent of my http knowledge
    >>> stops with setting up the site and paying he bill. Much appreciate any
    >>> help.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Wonderman wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found. Also no
    > " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp site
    > with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that helps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?

    Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    files.
     
  4. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    news:h86o15$odb$1@news.albasani.net...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Wonderman wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found. Also
    >> no
    >> " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp site
    >> with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that helps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?
    >
    > Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    > permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    > that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    > permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    > authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    > files.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Similar to text in prior answers -

    or or


    At the moment I only want to have one username and one password for all
    parties. No subfolders and I'm allowing read only permissions.
     
  5. Who is setting up ftp site?


    Is the ftp site in the Intranet or on the Internet?


    On which platform is ftp site running?


    Is ftp site currently working for anonymous users?



    "Wonderman" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:OcdsDxNMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    > news:h86o15$odb$1@news.albasani.net...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Wonderman wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found. Also
    >>> no
    >>> " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp site
    >>> with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that
    >>> helps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?
    >>
    >> Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    >> permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    >> that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    >> permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    >> authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    >> files.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Similar to text in prior answers -
    >
    > or or
    >
    >
    > At the moment I only want to have one username and one password for all
    > parties. No subfolders and I'm allowing read only permissions.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Who is setting up ftp site? I am. It is an existing site. I can also
    > add another.
    >
    >
    > Is the ftp site in the Intranet or on the Internet? Internet
    >
    >
    > On which platform is ftp site running? I think they run linux. I am
    > Vista64
    >
    >
    > Is ftp site currently working for anonymous users? Not anonymous. Need
    > username and password.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Wonderman" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    > news:OcdsDxNMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    >> news:h86o15$odb$1@news.albasani.net...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Wonderman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found.
    >>>> Also no
    >>>> " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp
    >>>> site
    >>>> with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that
    >>>> helps.
    >>>
    >>> What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?
    >>>
    >>> Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    >>> permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    >>> that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    >>> permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    >>> authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    >>> files.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Similar to text in prior answers -
    >>
    >> or or
    >>
    >>
    >> At the moment I only want to have one username and one password for all
    >> parties. No subfolders and I'm allowing read only permissions.
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Sorry Wonderman, I can't help you for linux ftp server.
    You'll have to ask in the appropriate linux place.
    As far as client side is concerned, it works as described in previous posts.

    I also tested and installed an ftp site on Win 2008 and required user name
    and password. When user connects (clicks on the link), a box pops up asking
    for username/password. After user supplies credentials, a download begins.

    Good luck

    "Wonderman" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:uu4k9ZWMKHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Who is setting up ftp site? I am. It is an existing site. I can also
    >> add another.
    >>
    >>
    >> Is the ftp site in the Intranet or on the Internet? Internet
    >>
    >>
    >> On which platform is ftp site running? I think they run linux. I am
    >> Vista64
    >>
    >>
    >> Is ftp site currently working for anonymous users? Not anonymous. Need
    >> username and password.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Wonderman" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> news:OcdsDxNMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    >>> news:h86o15$odb$1@news.albasani.net...
    >>>> Wonderman wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found.
    >>>>> Also no
    >>>>> " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp
    >>>>> site
    >>>>> with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that
    >>>>> helps.
    >>>>
    >>>> What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?
    >>>>
    >>>> Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    >>>> permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    >>>> that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    >>>> permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    >>>> authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    >>>> files.
    >>>
    >>> Similar to text in prior answers -
    >>>
    >>> or or
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> At the moment I only want to have one username and one password for all
    >>> parties. No subfolders and I'm allowing read only permissions.
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  8. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Wonderman wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    > news:h86o15$odb$1@news.albasani.net...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Wonderman wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Thanks. Tried it and I get a message that the file cant be found. Also
    >>> no
    >>> " copy shortcut " option in right click menu. This is a secure ftp site
    >>> with username and password required. I'm running vista 64 if that helps.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> What does the URL look like that you tried to use as an FTP link?
    >>
    >> Do the users that are in the username list for login also have
    >> permission to each [sub]folder so they have access to any file under
    >> that [sub]folder? Either you need to put the Everyone group with read
    >> permissions on those folders and files or you have to allow the
    >> authorized users on your login list to access those same folders and
    >> files.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Similar to text in prior answers -
    >
    > or or <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Those are *not* FTP links to a *file*. I thought you wanted to provide
    a URL that pointed to a file.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > At the moment I only want to have one username and one password for all
    > parties. No subfolders and I'm allowing read only permissions.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    So what are you using as an FTP client to test your setup? Web browsers
    are *not* FTP clients despite their limited support. For the above FTP
    links, and if you have an FTP client installed that was associated to
    that URL scheme, you would see a folder got opened, not a file.

    Are you going to require that you users install an FTP client (most have
    one although probably wouldn't know the FTP commands needed after
    running ftp.exe at a command line)? Are you expecting them to click on
    a link in a web page or e-mail where both would use the FTP support in a
    web browser to get at the file?

    Did you enable both ports 20 and 21 in your firewall(s) (both in the
    software firewall on your host and in the firewall inside your router)?
    The FTP client makes an outbound connection to listening port 21 on the
    FTP server to send commands to it. However, the data comes back on port
    20 which would look like unsolicited traffic hitting your host.


    "FTP also is odd in the fact that it uses two ports to accomplish its
    task. It typically uses port 20 for data transfer and port 21 to listen
    to commands."

    Are you running the host and FTP server or is this some hosted service
    that you pay for? If it is a hosted service then why won't they help
    you use their service that you are paying for? They should know the
    proper syntax for FTP links to files in their customer's accounts.
     
  9. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:17:25 +0200, "Dusko Savatovic"
    <savatovic@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Sorry Wonderman, I can't help you for linux ftp server.
    >You'll have to ask in the appropriate linux place.
    >As far as client side is concerned, it works as described in previous posts.
    >
    >I also tested and installed an ftp site on Win 2008 and required user name
    >and password. When user connects (clicks on the link), a box pops up asking
    >for username/password. After user supplies credentials, a download begins.
    >
    >Good luck<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Wonderman:

    This is a rat hole. The problem is that MS keeps futzing with the FTP
    interface in MSIE. Users will get varying results with FTP links and
    secure FTP links depending on the version of MSIE. Firefox is
    different still.

    How about just using an http:// link? You FTP the files to a web
    hosting area on the server. Most hosting plans have a way to password
    protect directories. Use that mechanism to protect the files. Send the
    users a link like:

    This works fine with the possible exception of when they are
    retrieving files that the browser wants to display, such as jpg files.
    If they want to save those, they would need to right click and choose
    Save Picture or Save Image (easy and fairly standard in browsers).
     

Share This Page