1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

New computer puzzles...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Adela, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. Adela

    Adela Guest

  2. olfart

    olfart Guest

  3. kword88

    kword88 Guest

    i think you will be happy with your new system. seems like a pretty good
    deal, when you consider the free monitor and free shipping.
    for about $25, you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your
    old hard drive. you should be able to access your data, but i dont think
    you will be able to boot from it.
    i would check with dell to see if they offer a free upgrade to windows
    7. but if not, vista shouldnt cause you too much trouble anymore. it
    just takes a little getting used to when moving from xp.


    --
    kword88
     
  4. Adela

    Adela Guest

    Yes, but they are charging me $80 for tax even though they aren't in my
    state! lol!

    Thanks so much for your good suggestions, so that now I'm beginning to feel
    a little happier with my new machine! [​IMG])
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >...you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your old hard drive.
    >you >should be able to access your data, but i dont think you will be able
    >to boot >from it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I'll look into external hard drive docks to connect to my old HD, but I
    don't understand the "not booting from it"... If you could kindly explain
    it to me as I still haven't learned many technical things...

    Also thanks for suggesting to check with Dell about the free upgrade to Win7
    which I'll do tomorrow, and if it isn't, I feel better that you said Vista
    isn't so bad now. Have they improved it?

    Adela






    "kword88" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f038dc89ece38a92fd72a881cf49b2fb@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > i think you will be happy with your new system. seems like a pretty good
    > deal, when you consider the free monitor and free shipping.
    > for about $25, you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your
    > old hard drive. you should be able to access your data, but i dont think
    > you will be able to boot from it.
    > i would check with dell to see if they offer a free upgrade to windows
    > 7. but if not, vista shouldnt cause you too much trouble anymore. it
    > just takes a little getting used to when moving from xp.
    >
    >
    > --
    > kword88 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Tom Allen

    Tom Allen Guest

    "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
    news:u2FN2LMNKHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Yes, but they are charging me $80 for tax even though they aren't in
    > my state! lol!
    >
    > Thanks so much for your good suggestions, so that now I'm beginning to
    > feel a little happier with my new machine! [​IMG])
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>...you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your old hard
    >>drive. you >should be able to access your data, but i dont think you
    >>will be able to boot >from it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > I'll look into external hard drive docks to connect to my old HD, but
    > I don't understand the "not booting from it"... If you could kindly
    > explain it to me as I still haven't learned many technical things...
    >
    > Also thanks for suggesting to check with Dell about the free upgrade
    > to Win7 which I'll do tomorrow, and if it isn't, I feel better that
    > you said Vista isn't so bad now. Have they improved it?
    >
    > Adela
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    There have been two Service Packs but I found little difference from the
    original RTM version which ran without trouble pre-installed on two PCs
    of lesser specification than the one you are looking at. IE 7 then 8
    gave no trouble either. Lots to learn though.
    Win7 is well spoken of but I doubt I'll be changing from Vista until I
    get the urge for new hardware.

    Tom
     
  6. For many folks expressing dislike of Vista it's really a matter of personal
    preference. There have been some good improvements in the service packs. It
    does work a tad differently than does XP, mostly due to improved security.
    Personally, when Vista came out I had the choice of moving to Vista or
    continuing with XP - I chose to move to Vista, and never regretted the
    decision.

    Paul Riemerman

    "Tom Allen" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:%23kiq9mSNKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
    > news:u2FN2LMNKHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Yes, but they are charging me $80 for tax even though they aren't in my
    >> state! lol!
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for your good suggestions, so that now I'm beginning to
    >> feel a little happier with my new machine! [​IMG])
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>...you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your old hard
    >>>drive. you >should be able to access your data, but i dont think you will
    >>>be able to boot >from it.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> I'll look into external hard drive docks to connect to my old HD, but I
    >> don't understand the "not booting from it"... If you could kindly
    >> explain it to me as I still haven't learned many technical things...
    >>
    >> Also thanks for suggesting to check with Dell about the free upgrade to
    >> Win7 which I'll do tomorrow, and if it isn't, I feel better that you said
    >> Vista isn't so bad now. Have they improved it?
    >>
    >> Adela
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > There have been two Service Packs but I found little difference from the
    > original RTM version which ran without trouble pre-installed on two PCs of
    > lesser specification than the one you are looking at. IE 7 then 8 gave no
    > trouble either. Lots to learn though.
    > Win7 is well spoken of but I doubt I'll be changing from Vista until I get
    > the urge for new hardware.
    >
    > Tom
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. On 9/13/09, the entity Adela wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > [WinXP Home 2002-SP2; OE 6; IE 6; MS Office 2002; Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz
    > Pentium III; 384MB RAM; high speed cable]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi, after having great results for 9 years and 9 months with my faithful Dell
    > computer (still going strong), just bought yesterday...a Dell! arriving in 2
    > weeks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I hope it IS as good a buy as I was made to think, and will appreciate your
    > opinion SO VERY MUCH . I had to decide in only 2 hours since I discovered
    > the sale on its last few hours... But I'm sorry I never wanted Vista and IE
    > 7.0 or 8.0 from the numerous bad reviews and complaints...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No problems here.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I understand the solution would've been to have it built by a local PC store?
    > If I had the guts and the knowledge, I'd return it (now on the way) and
    > order a custom made... and probably lose the bargain of the year??? [​IMG])<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    No way to know from this level of info. Personally, I'd stick with Dell
    unless you know the local shop very well.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > ALSO, my present HD is still very good at 4 years of age, so is it
    > possible to use it as a "slave" backup? Yet, in case of a computer calamity,
    > wouldn't the data get lost also in the slave HD? So...is it possible to use
    > it as an external backup? If so, what does it take?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    1. If the calamity is a nuclear attack or an asteroid collision, both
    drives will be destroyed. Otherwise, you'd have to do some very fancy
    crashing to destroy the external drive simultaneously - especially if
    it's not turned on or plugged in when the calamity occurs.

    2. An old hard drive might die tomorrow...Of course, a new one might
    too, but that's much less likely.

    3. In addition to #2, the old drive is almost certainly much smaller
    than what's in the Dell, so it won't serve well as a backup.

    4. New external hard drives, which these days come in sizes plenty
    large enough for backup use, are pretty cheap (I don't now what you can
    afford, of course).

    5. Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you
    with all of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret
    formulas) from your current system, of course.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks ever so much for any suggestions! :) Adela<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  8. Adela

    Adela Guest

    Hello Paul and thank you for your kind opinion about Vista which makes me
    feel a little better now. Although I wish I could return the thing simply
    because I was stupid enough not to realize it's too high powered for my
    needs.

    Thanks again. [​IMG]) Adela


    "Paul Riemerman" <priemer55NOT@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:e1xb71TNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > For many folks expressing dislike of Vista it's really a matter of
    > personal preference. There have been some good improvements in the service
    > packs. It does work a tad differently than does XP, mostly due to improved
    > security. Personally, when Vista came out I had the choice of moving to
    > Vista or continuing with XP - I chose to move to Vista, and never
    > regretted the decision.
    >
    > Paul Riemerman
    >
    > "Tom Allen" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > news:%23kiq9mSNKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
    >> news:u2FN2LMNKHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Yes, but they are charging me $80 for tax even though they aren't in my
    >>> state! lol!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks so much for your good suggestions, so that now I'm beginning to
    >>> feel a little happier with my new machine! [​IMG])
    >>>
    >>>>...you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your old hard
    >>>>drive. you >should be able to access your data, but i dont think you
    >>>>will be able to boot >from it.
    >>>
    >>> I'll look into external hard drive docks to connect to my old HD, but I
    >>> don't understand the "not booting from it"... If you could kindly
    >>> explain it to me as I still haven't learned many technical things...
    >>>
    >>> Also thanks for suggesting to check with Dell about the free upgrade to
    >>> Win7 which I'll do tomorrow, and if it isn't, I feel better that you
    >>> said Vista isn't so bad now. Have they improved it?
    >>>
    >>> Adela
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> There have been two Service Packs but I found little difference from the
    >> original RTM version which ran without trouble pre-installed on two PCs
    >> of lesser specification than the one you are looking at. IE 7 then 8
    >> gave no trouble either. Lots to learn though.
    >> Win7 is well spoken of but I doubt I'll be changing from Vista until I
    >> get the urge for new hardware.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  9. Adela

    Adela Guest

    Thank you Gene for your sensible and useful opinions. I laughed when I read
    your depiction of a "calamity" in relation to my hard drives... I finally
    bought a really good flash drive for my backups so for the time being it
    will suffice. However, about this good suggestion:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you with all
    >of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret formulas) from
    >your current system, of course.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Would you happen to know how I can install or plug in an external enclosure?
    In time I'd like to look into them...

    Thanks again for all your help! [​IMG]) Adela


    "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:O%238hXwZNKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On 9/13/09, the entity Adela wrote this:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> [WinXP Home 2002-SP2; OE 6; IE 6; MS Office 2002; Dell Dimension XPS
    >> T448MHz Pentium III; 384MB RAM; high speed cable]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi, after having great results for 9 years and 9 months with my faithful
    >> Dell computer (still going strong), just bought yesterday...a Dell!
    >> arriving in 2 weeks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I hope it IS as good a buy as I was made to think, and will appreciate
    >> your opinion SO VERY MUCH . I had to decide in only 2 hours since I
    >> discovered the sale on its last few hours... But I'm sorry I never wanted
    >> Vista and IE 7.0 or 8.0 from the numerous bad reviews and complaints...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > No problems here.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I understand the solution would've been to have it built by a local PC
    >> store? If I had the guts and the knowledge, I'd return it (now on the
    >> way) and order a custom made... and probably lose the bargain of the
    >> year??? [​IMG])<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > No way to know from this level of info. Personally, I'd stick with Dell
    > unless you know the local shop very well.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> ALSO, my present HD is still very good at 4 years of age, so is it
    >> possible to use it as a "slave" backup? Yet, in case of a computer
    >> calamity,
    >> wouldn't the data get lost also in the slave HD? So...is it possible to
    >> use
    >> it as an external backup? If so, what does it take?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > 1. If the calamity is a nuclear attack or an asteroid collision, both
    > drives will be destroyed. Otherwise, you'd have to do some very fancy
    > crashing to destroy the external drive simultaneously - especially if it's
    > not turned on or plugged in when the calamity occurs.
    >
    > 2. An old hard drive might die tomorrow...Of course, a new one might too,
    > but that's much less likely.
    >
    > 3. In addition to #2, the old drive is almost certainly much smaller than
    > what's in the Dell, so it won't serve well as a backup.
    >
    > 4. New external hard drives, which these days come in sizes plenty large
    > enough for backup use, are pretty cheap (I don't now what you can afford,
    > of course).
    >
    > 5. Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you with
    > all of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret formulas)
    > from your current system, of course.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Thanks ever so much for any suggestions! :) Adela<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. mitchell

    mitchell Guest

    kword88;1134584 Wrote: <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > i think you will be happy with your new system. seems like a pretty good
    > deal, when you consider the free monitor and free shipping.
    > for about $25, you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your
    > old hard drive. you should be able to access your data, but i dont think
    > you will be able to boot from it.
    > i would check with dell to see if they offer a free upgrade to windows
    > 7. but if not, vista shouldnt cause you too much trouble anymore. it
    > just takes a little getting used to when moving from xp.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Most majour players are now offering a free windows 7 upgade when
    purchasing a computer with windows vista preinstalled, i have one on
    order with Hewlett Packard [​IMG]


    --
    mitchell
     
  11. On 9/14/09, the entity Adela wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thank you Gene for your sensible and useful opinions. I laughed when I read
    > your depiction of a "calamity" in relation to my hard drives... I finally
    > bought a really good flash drive for my backups so for the time being it will
    > suffice. However, about this good suggestion:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you with all
    >> of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret formulas) from
    >> your current system, of course.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Would you happen to know how I can install or plug in an external enclosure?
    > In time I'd like to look into them...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Just put the drive in the USB enclosure and connect the power and
    signal cables (also install the screws to hole it down).

    They usually come with instructions. You need to know whether your
    current drive is PATA (same as IDE) or SATA. The latter is is possibly
    newer than your drive, but some enclosures take both (safer and more
    future-proof).

    Or get one of these USB to IDE/SATA adapters:


    That's just one of many, available at many prices at many stores; I
    chose it at random. They're not enclosures, but they work fine for me.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Thanks again for all your help! [​IMG]) Adela<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:O%238hXwZNKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On 9/13/09, the entity Adela wrote this:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> [WinXP Home 2002-SP2; OE 6; IE 6; MS Office 2002; Dell Dimension XPS
    >>> T448MHz Pentium III; 384MB RAM; high speed cable]<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Hi, after having great results for 9 years and 9 months with my faithful
    >>> Dell computer (still going strong), just bought yesterday...a Dell!
    >>> arriving in 2 weeks.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I hope it IS as good a buy as I was made to think, and will appreciate
    >>> your opinion SO VERY MUCH . I had to decide in only 2 hours since I
    >>> discovered the sale on its last few hours... But I'm sorry I never wanted
    >>> Vista and IE 7.0 or 8.0 from the numerous bad reviews and complaints...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> No problems here.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I understand the solution would've been to have it built by a local PC
    >>> store? If I had the guts and the knowledge, I'd return it (now on the way)
    >>> and order a custom made... and probably lose the bargain of the year???
    >>> [​IMG])<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> No way to know from this level of info. Personally, I'd stick with Dell
    >> unless you know the local shop very well.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> ALSO, my present HD is still very good at 4 years of age, so is it
    >>> possible to use it as a "slave" backup? Yet, in case of a computer
    >>> calamity,
    >>> wouldn't the data get lost also in the slave HD? So...is it possible to
    >>> use
    >>> it as an external backup? If so, what does it take?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> 1. If the calamity is a nuclear attack or an asteroid collision, both
    >> drives will be destroyed. Otherwise, you'd have to do some very fancy
    >> crashing to destroy the external drive simultaneously - especially if it's
    >> not turned on or plugged in when the calamity occurs.
    >>
    >> 2. An old hard drive might die tomorrow...Of course, a new one might too,
    >> but that's much less likely.
    >>
    >> 3. In addition to #2, the old drive is almost certainly much smaller than
    >> what's in the Dell, so it won't serve well as a backup.
    >>
    >> 4. New external hard drives, which these days come in sizes plenty large
    >> enough for backup use, are pretty cheap (I don't now what you can afford,
    >> of course).
    >>
    >> 5. Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you with
    >> all of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret formulas)
    >> from your current system, of course.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Thanks ever so much for any suggestions! :) Adela<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >>
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  12. Adela

    Adela Guest

    Thank you again and again Gene! Your info will be very valuable to me if I
    decide to keep this new computer. [​IMG]) Adela

    "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    news:%230HI0SaNKHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On 9/14/09, the entity Adela wrote this:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Thank you Gene for your sensible and useful opinions. I laughed when I
    >> read your depiction of a "calamity" in relation to my hard drives... I
    >> finally bought a really good flash drive for my backups so for the time
    >> being it will suffice. However, about this good suggestion:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you with
    >>>all of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret
    >>>formulas) from your current system, of course.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Would you happen to know how I can install or plug in an external
    >> enclosure? In time I'd like to look into them...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Just put the drive in the USB enclosure and connect the power and signal
    > cables (also install the screws to hole it down).
    >
    > They usually come with instructions. You need to know whether your current
    > drive is PATA (same as IDE) or SATA. The latter is is possibly newer than
    > your drive, but some enclosures take both (safer and more future-proof).
    >
    > Or get one of these USB to IDE/SATA adapters:
    >
    >
    > That's just one of many, available at many prices at many stores; I chose
    > it at random. They're not enclosures, but they work fine for me.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Thanks again for all your help! [​IMG]) Adela<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:O%238hXwZNKHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On 9/13/09, the entity Adela wrote this:
    >>>> [WinXP Home 2002-SP2; OE 6; IE 6; MS Office 2002; Dell Dimension XPS
    >>>> T448MHz Pentium III; 384MB RAM; high speed cable]
    >>>
    >>>> Hi, after having great results for 9 years and 9 months with my
    >>>> faithful Dell computer (still going strong), just bought yesterday...a
    >>>> Dell! arriving in 2 weeks.
    >>>
    >>>>

    >>>
    >>>> I hope it IS as good a buy as I was made to think, and will appreciate
    >>>> your opinion SO VERY MUCH . I had to decide in only 2 hours since I
    >>>> discovered the sale on its last few hours... But I'm sorry I never
    >>>> wanted Vista and IE 7.0 or 8.0 from the numerous bad reviews and
    >>>> complaints...
    >>>
    >>> No problems here.
    >>>
    >>>> I understand the solution would've been to have it built by a local PC
    >>>> store? If I had the guts and the knowledge, I'd return it (now on the
    >>>> way) and order a custom made... and probably lose the bargain of the
    >>>> year??? [​IMG])
    >>>
    >>> No way to know from this level of info. Personally, I'd stick with Dell
    >>> unless you know the local shop very well.
    >>>
    >>>> ALSO, my present HD is still very good at 4 years of age, so is it
    >>>> possible to use it as a "slave" backup? Yet, in case of a computer
    >>>> calamity,
    >>>> wouldn't the data get lost also in the slave HD? So...is it possible
    >>>> to use
    >>>> it as an external backup? If so, what does it take?
    >>>
    >>> 1. If the calamity is a nuclear attack or an asteroid collision, both
    >>> drives will be destroyed. Otherwise, you'd have to do some very fancy
    >>> crashing to destroy the external drive simultaneously - especially if
    >>> it's not turned on or plugged in when the calamity occurs.
    >>>
    >>> 2. An old hard drive might die tomorrow...Of course, a new one might
    >>> too, but that's much less likely.
    >>>
    >>> 3. In addition to #2, the old drive is almost certainly much smaller
    >>> than what's in the Dell, so it won't serve well as a backup.
    >>>
    >>> 4. New external hard drives, which these days come in sizes plenty large
    >>> enough for backup use, are pretty cheap (I don't now what you can
    >>> afford, of course).
    >>>
    >>> 5. Keeping the old drive in an external enclosure *does* provide you
    >>> with all of your data files (documents, spreadsheets, recipes, secret
    >>> formulas) from your current system, of course.
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks ever so much for any suggestions! :) Adela
    >>>
    >>> -- Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > --
    > Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  13. Adela

    Adela Guest

    Thanks Mitchell, I'll be able to use your info if I decide to keep this new
    computer. [​IMG]) Adela

    "mitchell" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:c5182981940d2cd9ff82536b2c93bf0f@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > kword88;1134584 Wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> i think you will be happy with your new system. seems like a pretty good
    >> deal, when you consider the free monitor and free shipping.
    >> for about $25, you can get an external hard drive dock to connect your
    >> old hard drive. you should be able to access your data, but i dont think
    >> you will be able to boot from it.
    >> i would check with dell to see if they offer a free upgrade to windows
    >> 7. but if not, vista shouldnt cause you too much trouble anymore. it
    >> just takes a little getting used to when moving from xp.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Most majour players are now offering a free windows 7 upgade when
    > purchasing a computer with windows vista preinstalled, i have one on
    > order with Hewlett Packard [​IMG]
    >
    >
    > --
    > mitchell <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page