1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help With ASUS W10 Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BGBG, Nov 26, 2018.

1. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    You don't need a license for windows 10 if you have a legal copy of windows 7.If you had windows 10 already installed the product key is already digitally signed by MS.If you do the f9 procedure I believe you will lose everything I believe hold on maybe Seth can chime in and let you know for sure.Like I said what I did was booted to the USB I made from the MS media creation tool.You can try to repair it from there but that didn't work for me.When the window came up I clicked install then chose my main partition and clicked upgrade.After it was done it saved the previous files in a folder called windows old on the C: drive.I tried every suggestion I could find but this was the only thing that worked for me.The original windows 10 on this computer was a upgrade from 7 to 10 so I had no hidden partition on this PC.Luckily there wasn't anything on the C: drive of importance I set it up for my wife with another HD to save her files on. Hope this helps some maybe someone else will chime in with some more help.
    IJAC

2. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    The ASUS F9 recovery hot key will produce 3 different options to restore the laptop to factory condition. All 3 of these options will erase personal data such as pictures, documents, music, and videos. Depending on the type of email that is being used, it may delete your email as well. Since the F9 option restores the laptop to factory condition, anything that was installed on the laptop after it was purchased will be removed as well. The F9 procedure is easy to do, but if you need data backed up first, then we're in a whole new ball game.

The only other possibility is creating the W10 USB stick which also has a system restore option, but again, it's most likely you'll receive a message that say's, "No restore points have been created" which is due to corruption in the System Restore files.

Are you still able to get to the Window's Recovery screen? (The one which ends up saying, "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically)? If so, try to get to system restore from there one more time.

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That is what I thought and we have decided that nothing on the PC we installed or created is essential or critical. If the F9 procedure works and I have options is it best to delete all the partitions and have a whole C drive or whatever with no partitions? That would be my choice. A single larger C drive. My W7 PC has only 1/3 of C drive used with 2/3 free.

4. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Use the first option that say's, "Recover Windows to First Partition Only". The other 2 options will probably delete the recovery partition, so you don't want to choose those.

If you want to increase the C drive size, we can deal with that after the factory restore.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Trying it...F9 is not doing anything. An opening screen comes on then a Pleas Wait with circling dots. Keep pressing F9 all the way through and nothing happens.
    After some minutes go by then a Welcome User screen comes on. Thenit begins to update. Says do not turn off PC. Don't know what to do but let it keep on. At least SOMETHING is happening. Wait & watch.
    Then the box like above came up and said "not available. Then the same screen with recycle bin, 3 icons in L tray, 4 icons in R tray, and a troubleshooting error box on screen. F9 never did anything.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  6. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Make sure the laptop is shut down, then as soon as you turn it on, immediately start tapping away at the F9 key. That should bring up the recovery manager. If it doesn't, then it probably means the hard drive is failing, and could also mean why this problem happened in the first place.

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Maybe it is just a cheap junky computer to start with ??? May take it to shop just to be sure.

8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    One last attempt...

Does it have a removable battery on the bottom?

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes it does

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Ok good. This is my final attempt before suggesting you bring it to a shop, otherwise, it would mean going through the process of creating a Window's 10 USB stick, and changing the crazy ASUS BIOS settings to be able to boot to the USB stick. However, you may go through all of that only to discover that the hard drive is failing. I mentioned that possibility earlier.

1) Remove the battery and power cord. This will ensure the laptop is completely shut down.

2) Leave the battery out and plug in the power cord. Now press the power button and immediately tap away at the F9 key.

11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I finally had so much to do, way behind, know absolutely nothing about ths particular PC or Windows 10 or reparing PC's so to get it off the plate without throwing it away or buying a new one, I took it to local shop where I had been a few times before. They said it would be $100 to evaluate it and repair if could and OK to wipe it clean if needed, and if cost would be more or could not fix it call me. Seemed good and familiar with shop and work and not time to shop around nor fool with it more. Or waste more time. Worth it to fix or know. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Wish they had worked for me. Hoping for the best.

I had already tried it on battery and AC power so did not repeat that. Sorry.

12. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    You are welcome sorry nothing worked for you hope the shop can fix it up.
    IJAC

13. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Shop worked on it for half a week and said could not fix by restoring. Did not understand what all they gave as reason. Now trying a wipe-clean formatting and reinstalling windows 10 without any charge beyond the evaluation fee. Only wife uses it, nothing important or valuable if lost, and only web searches and a few emailings, and I do not especially want to give up my laptops or buy new one for the non-elaborate PC tasks. She learned to do all she needed by herself and I know very little about it and prefer my XP and W7. So I say OK to the format & reinstall. Hope that works.

14. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That's one crappy shop.

15. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Wow that is messed up I was able to fix my wife's HP with a USB flash drive after creating a boot drive from MS media creation tool.I don't know why they couldn't of just done that.Well hope they get it going for you.

16. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Maybe not a crappy shop after all because they did fix it, or at least it looked that way this morning when they demonstrated it when I picked it up. I never meant to say or imply THEY could not fix it...only that I could not. And rather that post a separate post could someone give a YES or NO to when my "keep me logged in on CHF" did NOT and I had to log in today (which is no big deal) was this perhaps caused when I clear my history in Firefox even though the SAVED LOGINS box is left UNCHECKED? Trying to figure out why saved logins disappear even though I check KEEP ME LOGGED in and I recall clearing history. If a separate post is required advise and I will post it.

I need some advice on setting up ASUS PC again. They formatted to one large one terabyte hard drive partition they told me. It is WIndows 10 reinstall which may or may not be same as it came with. I cannot tell for unfamiliar with it. It has Google Chrome and I would prefer Firefox but do not object to both. Can I simply download and install latest Firefox without disturbing Google Chrome? I have them both on my XP
    and 7 computers.
    I just do not want to mess this up since just fixed although I believe it was a too-large windows update that somehow caused original problem, although I do not think the PC shop believes this. I just read that it could occur with a 3-4 partition machine with small partitions.
    Thanks for any helpful suggestions. I am going to look it over now.

I see the internet says not connected. What do I do to connect? Other computers connect and router is on.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  17. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I see the internet says not connected. What do I do to connect? Other computers connect and router is on.

Fixed this by pressing router button and got it to connect. I am really going to have to use this Windows 10 computer.

18. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Downloaded newest Firefox. I'm getting better. Meant to say LEARN to use above but too late now to edit.

19. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Getting used to Windows 10 and everything is working fine at the moment. Hate to say it out loud.