1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

more Ram

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KRK, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Hello,

    A follow-up to my earlier thread.

    I am thinking of increasing my RAM to 4Gb from 2Gb.

    According to the manual there are 2 memory slots accessible from the
    underside of the PC (Toshiba laptop), and 4Gb is OK (2 * 2Gb).

    I need to know what is already installed, ie 1 * 2Gb module, or 2 * 1Gb
    modules.

    In other words will I need to buy 1 or 2 new 2Gb modules?

    Vista Control Panel (System) confirms that I have 2Gb, but not how it is
    arranged.

    Can this be done from within Vista ? or do I need to get out my screwdriver
    ?

    Thanks

    KK
     
  2. M

    M Guest

    KRK wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello,
    >
    > A follow-up to my earlier thread.
    >
    > I am thinking of increasing my RAM to 4Gb from 2Gb.
    >
    > According to the manual there are 2 memory slots accessible from the
    > underside of the PC (Toshiba laptop), and 4Gb is OK (2 * 2Gb).
    >
    > I need to know what is already installed, ie 1 * 2Gb module, or 2 * 1Gb
    > modules.
    >
    > In other words will I need to buy 1 or 2 new 2Gb modules?
    >
    > Vista Control Panel (System) confirms that I have 2Gb, but not how it is
    > arranged.
    >
    > Can this be done from within Vista ? or do I need to get out my
    > screwdriver ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > KK<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You can get out the screwdriver or download Belarc which will tell you
    how many sticks you have:



    It's free.

    M
     
  3. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    As stated by others, you can use belarc or just pop open the cover (you
    might as well do the latter as you will need to in order to add the new ram
    later). Crucial.com is an excellent source of memory modules and will also
    tell you the limitations of your motherboard.

    My addition to this thread concerns usability of the additional memory. You
    don't mention in either thread whether you are running the 32 or 64 bit
    version of Vista. If you are running the 32-bit variety, be aware that the
    most memory you will be able to address is roughly 3.2GB regardless of the
    installed amount due to a limit on the number of addresses available in the
    x86 build (roughly .8GB are reserved for addressing the system hardware, the
    remainder are assigned to memory). If you are running x64, then you will be
    able to address all 4GB.

    The second consideration is whether or not you will be able to utilize this
    added memory, as 2GB is more than sufficient for most users. Those that
    might benefit are heavy gamers, users of autocad, and those that frequently
    edit images or video. Basically, those that page heavily with 2GB - you
    would notice a lot of disk activity as pages are acccessed. If you are not
    paging frequently, adding ram is likely to be of little use for you, and you
    actually may see a reduction in the memory response rate as many
    motherboards knock the access speed down a notch when all sockets are full.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:OAgw5M7LKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hello,
    >
    > A follow-up to my earlier thread.
    >
    > I am thinking of increasing my RAM to 4Gb from 2Gb.
    >
    > According to the manual there are 2 memory slots accessible from the
    > underside of the PC (Toshiba laptop), and 4Gb is OK (2 * 2Gb).
    >
    > I need to know what is already installed, ie 1 * 2Gb module, or 2 * 1Gb
    > modules.
    >
    > In other words will I need to buy 1 or 2 new 2Gb modules?
    >
    > Vista Control Panel (System) confirms that I have 2Gb, but not how it is
    > arranged.
    >
    > Can this be done from within Vista ? or do I need to get out my
    > screwdriver ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > KK <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Re: more Ram - update

    Hi & thanks

    I have the 32 bit version.

    I do notice a lot of disk activity, but there are so many background
    activities in Vista, plus antivirus stuff etc etc, that I dont really know
    what is causing it. I do do a lot of video & graphics stuff tho. I will try
    the crucial site.

    Thanks again

    KK


    "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:uq3WAi7LKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > As stated by others, you can use belarc or just pop open the cover (you
    > might as well do the latter as you will need to in order to add the new
    > ram later). Crucial.com is an excellent source of memory modules and will
    > also tell you the limitations of your motherboard.
    >
    > My addition to this thread concerns usability of the additional memory.
    > You don't mention in either thread whether you are running the 32 or 64
    > bit version of Vista. If you are running the 32-bit variety, be aware that
    > the most memory you will be able to address is roughly 3.2GB regardless of
    > the installed amount due to a limit on the number of addresses available
    > in the x86 build (roughly .8GB are reserved for addressing the system
    > hardware, the remainder are assigned to memory). If you are running x64,
    > then you will be able to address all 4GB.
    >
    > The second consideration is whether or not you will be able to utilize
    > this added memory, as 2GB is more than sufficient for most users. Those
    > that might benefit are heavy gamers, users of autocad, and those that
    > frequently edit images or video. Basically, those that page heavily with
    > 2GB - you would notice a lot of disk activity as pages are acccessed. If
    > you are not paging frequently, adding ram is likely to be of little use
    > for you, and you actually may see a reduction in the memory response rate
    > as many motherboards knock the access speed down a notch when all sockets
    > are full.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Windows help -

    > Vote for my shoe:

    >
    > "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:OAgw5M7LKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A follow-up to my earlier thread.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of increasing my RAM to 4Gb from 2Gb.
    >>
    >> According to the manual there are 2 memory slots accessible from the
    >> underside of the PC (Toshiba laptop), and 4Gb is OK (2 * 2Gb).
    >>
    >> I need to know what is already installed, ie 1 * 2Gb module, or 2 * 1Gb
    >> modules.
    >>
    >> In other words will I need to buy 1 or 2 new 2Gb modules?
    >>
    >> Vista Control Panel (System) confirms that I have 2Gb, but not how it is
    >> arranged.
    >>
    >> Can this be done from within Vista ? or do I need to get out my
    >> screwdriver ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> KK<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Re: more Ram - update

    Hi,

    Then I would also recommend that you use a utility like autoruns to examine
    what is loading as part of the startup group and limit the system to only
    necessary programs. Many programs, when initially installed, set themselves
    up in the startup group on the assumption that the user will want to run
    that program immediately after logging on. Totally unnecessarry, but they do
    it anyways. Disable the ones you don't actually need.

    Autoruns:

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:OHMBVu7LKHA.5880@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi & thanks
    >
    > I have the 32 bit version.
    >
    > I do notice a lot of disk activity, but there are so many background
    > activities in Vista, plus antivirus stuff etc etc, that I dont really
    > know what is causing it. I do do a lot of video & graphics stuff tho. I
    > will try the crucial site.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > KK
    >
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > news:uq3WAi7LKHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> As stated by others, you can use belarc or just pop open the cover (you
    >> might as well do the latter as you will need to in order to add the new
    >> ram later). Crucial.com is an excellent source of memory modules and will
    >> also tell you the limitations of your motherboard.
    >>
    >> My addition to this thread concerns usability of the additional memory.
    >> You don't mention in either thread whether you are running the 32 or 64
    >> bit version of Vista. If you are running the 32-bit variety, be aware
    >> that the most memory you will be able to address is roughly 3.2GB
    >> regardless of the installed amount due to a limit on the number of
    >> addresses available in the x86 build (roughly .8GB are reserved for
    >> addressing the system hardware, the remainder are assigned to memory). If
    >> you are running x64, then you will be able to address all 4GB.
    >>
    >> The second consideration is whether or not you will be able to utilize
    >> this added memory, as 2GB is more than sufficient for most users. Those
    >> that might benefit are heavy gamers, users of autocad, and those that
    >> frequently edit images or video. Basically, those that page heavily with
    >> 2GB - you would notice a lot of disk activity as pages are acccessed. If
    >> you are not paging frequently, adding ram is likely to be of little use
    >> for you, and you actually may see a reduction in the memory response rate
    >> as many motherboards knock the access speed down a notch when all sockets
    >> are full.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>

    >> Windows help -

    >> Vote for my shoe:

    >>
    >> "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> news:OAgw5M7LKHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> A follow-up to my earlier thread.
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking of increasing my RAM to 4Gb from 2Gb.
    >>>
    >>> According to the manual there are 2 memory slots accessible from the
    >>> underside of the PC (Toshiba laptop), and 4Gb is OK (2 * 2Gb).
    >>>
    >>> I need to know what is already installed, ie 1 * 2Gb module, or 2 * 1Gb
    >>> modules.
    >>>
    >>> In other words will I need to buy 1 or 2 new 2Gb modules?
    >>>
    >>> Vista Control Panel (System) confirms that I have 2Gb, but not how it is
    >>> arranged.
    >>>
    >>> Can this be done from within Vista ? or do I need to get out my
    >>> screwdriver ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> KK<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    listen pal, if you plan to install new modules, you need to pen the case.
    Is it hard to open NOW and check what modules are installed.
    What kind of nonsense problem i syours?

    Got a screwdriver?
     
  7. Andy Huang

    Andy Huang Guest

    You have todo this:
    Install 2+2GB.

    NOT one 4GB stick and not 1+3GB (does anyone even sell 3GB?).
    It has to be macthed 2+2GB, ok?

    And if you buy new memory, forget what you have now, trash it, buy 2
    identical modules ofrm same manufacturer, same part# - that's best for
    matching.
    memory is cheaper than dirt these days.

    I recommend CORSAIR, not cheap Chinese junk, but American Corsair.
    It cost me $40 for 4GB at Amazon.com
    40 dollars for enormous amount of memory.
     

Share This Page