1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

lost connection to internet and can't restore it

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by luvagbesi, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. luvagbesi

    luvagbesi Guest

    I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."

    How do I fix this problem?
     
  2. "luvagbesi" <luvagbesi@live.com> wrote in message
    news:9fdd57dd-1863-42af-950a-ab9a1d0b3798@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    > connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    > restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >
    > How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Check the cables.. check the settings.. if nothing works, contact your ISP..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
     
  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

  4. luvagbesi wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    > connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    > restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >
    > How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    Have you tried this to fix the connection problems.

    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select
    "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

    Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

    Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset
    reset.log

    Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset
    reset.log

    Reboot the machine.

    --------------
    You went to another machine and got to the internet from the same location?
     
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    If the OP can't use SR his problems go beyond his inability to connect to
    the net.

    "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:%23orqMMaNKHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "luvagbesi" <luvagbesi@live.com> wrote in message
    > news:9fdd57dd-1863-42af-950a-ab9a1d0b3798@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    >> connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    >> restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    >> "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >>
    >> How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Check the cables.. check the settings.. if nothing works, contact your
    > ISP..
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    > connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    > restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    far and won't let System Restore work.

    If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    back on after a successful restore.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  7. luvagbesi

    luvagbesi Guest

    On Sep 14, 11:58 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    > > connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    > > restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    > > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    > > How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    > has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    > far and won't let System Restore work.
    >
    > If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    > Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    > back on after a successful restore.
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    This was the problem. My God! this Norton Internet Security is worse
    than a virus... Thank you Gene E. Bloch.
     
  8. On 9/15/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sep 14, 11:58 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    >>> connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    >>> restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    >>> "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >>> How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    >> has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    >> far and won't let System Restore work.
    >>
    >> If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    >> Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    >> back on after a successful restore.
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > This was the problem. My God! this Norton Internet Security is worse
    > than a virus... Thank you Gene E. Bloch.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It's probably really not worse than a virus, but I was very frustrated
    until I stumbled across the solution (probably on this newsgroup). And
    of course I don't always remember to disable the protection when I'm
    trying to do a system restore - until it fails :)

    I am curious about Microsoft's rumored plan to release a security
    solution for free - but I'll wait until I read some reviews...

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  9. +Bob+

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:05:26 -0700 (PDT), luvagbesi
    <luvagbesi@live.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >On Sep 14, 11:58 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> > I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    >> > connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    >> > restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    >> > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >> > How do I fix this problem?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    >> has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    >> far and won't let System Restore work.
    >>
    >> If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    >> Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    >> back on after a successful restore.
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >This was the problem. My God! this Norton Internet Security is worse
    >than a virus... Thank you Gene E. Bloch.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Uninstall Norton. You'll need a tool from the Norton site to do it
    completely.

    Install Avast A/V. It's free.
     
  10. On 9/16/09, the entity +Bob+ wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:05:26 -0700 (PDT), luvagbesi
    > <luvagbesi@live.com> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Sep 14, 11:58 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:
    >>>
    >>>> I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    >>>> connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    >>>> restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    >>>> "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >>>> How do I fix this problem?
    >>>
    >>> One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    >>> has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    >>> far and won't let System Restore work.
    >>>
    >>> If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    >>> Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    >>> back on after a successful restore.
    >>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> This was the problem. My God! this Norton Internet Security is worse
    >> than a virus... Thank you Gene E. Bloch.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Uninstall Norton. You'll need a tool from the Norton site to do it
    > completely. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Norton NIS 2009 works fine for me, and it's not hard to do the fix
    mentioned, only hard to remember in a timely fashion.

    It can be annoying on occasion, though.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Install Avast A/V. It's free. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    That's what I do on the old machines beyond Norton's 3-machine license.
    On those, I also use Windows Firewall.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  11. Re: lost connection to internet and can't restore it (slight correction to my post)

    On 9/16/09, the entity Gene E. Bloch wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On 9/16/09, the entity +Bob+ wrote this:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:05:26 -0700 (PDT), luvagbesi
    >> <luvagbesi@live.com> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Sep 14, 11:58 pm, Gene E. Bloch <lett...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
    >>>> On 9/14/09, the entity luvagbesi wrote this:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I am writing now from a different computer. My computer lost
    >>>>> connection to the internet. It was working yesterday. I tried to
    >>>>> restore to restore point but vista won't allow me. It says
    >>>>> "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored."
    >>>>> How do I fix this problem?
    >>>>
    >>>> One cause of the restore problem is Norton Internet Security 2009. It
    >>>> has a setting to protect itself from being overwritten, but it goes too
    >>>> far and won't let System Restore work.
    >>>>
    >>>> If this applies to you, open NIS, choose Computer Settings ->
    >>>> Miscellaneous, and turn off Product Security Tamper Protection. Turn it
    >>>> back on after a successful restore.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> This was the problem. My God! this Norton Internet Security is worse
    >>> than a virus... Thank you Gene E. Bloch.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Uninstall Norton. You'll need a tool from the Norton site to do it
    >> completely.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Norton NIS 2009 works fine for me, and it's not hard to do the fix mentioned,
    > only hard to remember in a timely fashion.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > It can be annoying on occasion, though.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    By 'it' I meant NIS 2009, not just the product protection thingy.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Install Avast A/V. It's free.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > That's what I do on the old machines beyond Norton's 3-machine license. On
    > those, I also use Windows Firewall.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     

Share This Page