1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

login problem..

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Paul H, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless). I
    can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my Vista
    Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my Windows 7
    beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.

    I login in as:
    User name: Toni
    password: abc1234 (not really)

    response:
    User name: PaulsAcerLaptop\toni
    password: unchanged
    small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.

    Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help, anyone.
    TIA, Paul
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

  3. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    I can log onto my Vista Home Premium "ACER-4730Z", and my Windows 7 beta
    'PAULS-W7" - any of my 5 networked computers, a mix of XP Pro, Vista, and
    Windows 7 computers, all with current updates. I do not have any third
    party program. After I log onto any computer on my network, since I turn on
    full sharing on all of my hard drives, any computer can use Windows explorer
    to look at and/or change files on any other computer. When I click on the
    computer name, Windows explorer asks me to log on, as I displayed below. I
    can also specify a printer on any remote computer as my default printer. I
    need additional help. Thanks, Paul

    "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:%23X8%23QxKNKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    >
    > Vista Home Premium doesn't support remote logons (aka remote desktop). You
    > can file share from it (settings are found in the network and sharing
    > center), but you wouldn't be able to log onto that machine remotely
    > without the use of a third party program.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Windows help -

    > Vote for my shoe:

    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    > news:1E55D929-1337-4D18-AAD5-4E115900C27C@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless). I
    >>can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my
    >>Vista Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my
    >>Windows 7 beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.
    >>
    >> I login in as:
    >> User name: Toni
    >> password: abc1234 (not really)
    >>
    >> response:
    >> User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    >> password: unchanged
    >> small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.
    >>
    >> Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help, anyone.
    >> TIA, Paul
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Was it working previously? Were any changes or updates applied to this
    machine?
    Have you checked settings, as I indicated, in the network and sharing
    center?

    Logging on to a machine and accessing shares are two different things
    entirely. If you are prompted for a logon when accessing shares on a
    machine, it just wants valid credentials to access shares as defined under
    network sharing.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    news:F92231CD-278E-4FAF-8605-0F9F965F538E@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I can log onto my Vista Home Premium "ACER-4730Z", and my Windows 7 beta
    > 'PAULS-W7" - any of my 5 networked computers, a mix of XP Pro, Vista, and
    > Windows 7 computers, all with current updates. I do not have any third
    > party program. After I log onto any computer on my network, since I turn
    > on full sharing on all of my hard drives, any computer can use Windows
    > explorer to look at and/or change files on any other computer. When I
    > click on the computer name, Windows explorer asks me to log on, as I
    > displayed below. I can also specify a printer on any remote computer as
    > my default printer. I need additional help. Thanks, Paul
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > news:%23X8%23QxKNKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Vista Home Premium doesn't support remote logons (aka remote desktop).
    >> You can file share from it (settings are found in the network and sharing
    >> center), but you wouldn't be able to log onto that machine remotely
    >> without the use of a third party program.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>

    >> Windows help -

    >> Vote for my shoe:

    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    >> news:1E55D929-1337-4D18-AAD5-4E115900C27C@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless).
    >>>I can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my
    >>>Vista Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my
    >>>Windows 7 beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.
    >>>
    >>> I login in as:
    >>> User name: Toni
    >>> password: abc1234 (not really)
    >>>
    >>> response:
    >>> User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    >>> password: unchanged
    >>> small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.
    >>>
    >>> Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help,
    >>> anyone. TIA, Paul
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    Hi Rick,
    I think this laptop always had this problem. I can log from it to my other
    laptops, so I always have to do it that direction if I want to move data
    (pictures from the digital camera, etc.). It only has this "toni" to
    "PaulsAcerLaptop\toni" symptom when trying from any of my other computers.
    It must be some security setting on the "tonis-acer" laptop. But what
    setting?

    "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:%23AaGOnMNKHA.352@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Was it working previously? Were any changes or updates applied to this
    > machine?
    > Have you checked settings, as I indicated, in the network and sharing
    > center?
    >
    > Logging on to a machine and accessing shares are two different things
    > entirely. If you are prompted for a logon when accessing shares on a
    > machine, it just wants valid credentials to access shares as defined under
    > network sharing.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Windows help -

    > Vote for my shoe:

    >
    > "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    > news:F92231CD-278E-4FAF-8605-0F9F965F538E@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> I can log onto my Vista Home Premium "ACER-4730Z", and my Windows 7 beta
    >> 'PAULS-W7" - any of my 5 networked computers, a mix of XP Pro, Vista, and
    >> Windows 7 computers, all with current updates. I do not have any third
    >> party program. After I log onto any computer on my network, since I turn
    >> on full sharing on all of my hard drives, any computer can use Windows
    >> explorer to look at and/or change files on any other computer. When I
    >> click on the computer name, Windows explorer asks me to log on, as I
    >> displayed below. I can also specify a printer on any remote computer as
    >> my default printer. I need additional help. Thanks, Paul
    >>
    >> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> news:%23X8%23QxKNKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Vista Home Premium doesn't support remote logons (aka remote desktop).
    >>> You can file share from it (settings are found in the network and
    >>> sharing center), but you wouldn't be able to log onto that machine
    >>> remotely without the use of a third party program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,
    >>>
    >>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>>

    >>> Windows help -

    >>> Vote for my shoe:

    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    >>> news:1E55D929-1337-4D18-AAD5-4E115900C27C@microsoft.com...
    >>>>I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless).
    >>>>I can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my
    >>>>Vista Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my
    >>>>Windows 7 beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.
    >>>>
    >>>> I login in as:
    >>>> User name: Toni
    >>>> password: abc1234 (not really)
    >>>>
    >>>> response:
    >>>> User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    >>>> password: unchanged
    >>>> small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.
    >>>>
    >>>> Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help,
    >>>> anyone. TIA, Paul
    >>>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Have you tried disabling password protect sharing in the network and sharing
    center?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    news:1A918012-8619-4B01-8618-6BA8B5389025@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi Rick,
    > I think this laptop always had this problem. I can log from it to my
    > other laptops, so I always have to do it that direction if I want to move
    > data (pictures from the digital camera, etc.). It only has this "toni" to
    > "PaulsAcerLaptoptoni" symptom when trying from any of my other computers.
    > It must be some security setting on the "tonis-acer" laptop. But what
    > setting?
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > news:%23AaGOnMNKHA.352@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Hi Paul,
    >>
    >> Was it working previously? Were any changes or updates applied to this
    >> machine?
    >> Have you checked settings, as I indicated, in the network and sharing
    >> center?
    >>
    >> Logging on to a machine and accessing shares are two different things
    >> entirely. If you are prompted for a logon when accessing shares on a
    >> machine, it just wants valid credentials to access shares as defined
    >> under network sharing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>

    >> Windows help -

    >> Vote for my shoe:

    >>
    >> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    >> news:F92231CD-278E-4FAF-8605-0F9F965F538E@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> I can log onto my Vista Home Premium "ACER-4730Z", and my Windows 7 beta
    >>> 'PAULS-W7" - any of my 5 networked computers, a mix of XP Pro, Vista,
    >>> and Windows 7 computers, all with current updates. I do not have any
    >>> third party program. After I log onto any computer on my network, since
    >>> I turn on full sharing on all of my hard drives, any computer can use
    >>> Windows explorer to look at and/or change files on any other computer.
    >>> When I click on the computer name, Windows explorer asks me to log on,
    >>> as I displayed below. I can also specify a printer on any remote
    >>> computer as my default printer. I need additional help. Thanks, Paul
    >>>
    >>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> news:%23X8%23QxKNKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>> Hi,
    >>>>
    >>>> Vista Home Premium doesn't support remote logons (aka remote desktop).
    >>>> You can file share from it (settings are found in the network and
    >>>> sharing center), but you wouldn't be able to log onto that machine
    >>>> remotely without the use of a third party program.
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Best of Luck,
    >>>>
    >>>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>>>

    >>>> Windows help -

    >>>> Vote for my shoe:

    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    >>>> news:1E55D929-1337-4D18-AAD5-4E115900C27C@microsoft.com...
    >>>>>I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless).
    >>>>>I can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from
    >>>>>my Vista Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop,
    >>>>>my Windows 7 beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I login in as:
    >>>>> User name: Toni
    >>>>> password: abc1234 (not really)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> response:
    >>>>> User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    >>>>> password: unchanged
    >>>>> small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help,
    >>>>> anyone. TIA, Paul
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. On 9/13/09, the entity Paul H wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless). I
    > can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my Vista
    > Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my Windows 7
    > beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I login in as:
    > User name: Toni
    > password: abc1234 (not really)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > response:
    > User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    > password: unchanged
    > small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help, anyone.
    > TIA, Paul<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Perhaps you could set up a dummy (no offense :)) account on your
    computer with Toni's account name and password as it exists on her
    computer.

    I say that because it used to be necessary, i.e. in earlier versions of
    Windows. Well, I'm really misspeaking. What is needed is an account on
    each computer with the same name and password, and typically it would
    be an otherwise unused account on each computer.

    If I am wrong here, let's hope the more knowledgeable people on this NG
    will correct me...

    BTW, from your description, you are *not* logging on to her computer,
    but merely gaining access to shares on her computer.

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     
  8. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    Thank you both. Neither idea worked. And yes, even tho the text says "user
    name" and "password", I understand that it only allows me to have access to
    those items on her computer that she wishes to share. Thanks, Paul

    "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
    news:1E55D929-1337-4D18-AAD5-4E115900C27C@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I have a few computers in my home network (all Ethernet, not wireless). I
    >can't log onto my wife's Vista Home Premium (named tonis-acer) from my
    >Vista Home Premium (PaulsAcerLaptop), another Home Premium laptop, my
    >Windows 7 beta laptop, or an XP Pro laptop.
    >
    > I login in as:
    > User name: Toni
    > password: abc1234 (not really)
    >
    > response:
    > User name: PaulsAcerLaptoptoni
    > password: unchanged
    > small window: "Logon unsuccessful", etc.
    >
    > Other computers don't have this problem. What's going on? Help, anyone.
    > TIA, Paul
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page