1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Install/Uninstall Program Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Western, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. Western

    Western Guest

    Hi

    I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having significant
    trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time to
    complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message stating
    the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    thus the process times out.

    Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.

    Thanks for your help

    LJP
     
  2. <http://www.revouninstaller.com/>

    Revo Uninstaller - innovative freeware uninstall utility

    Uninstall software, remove programs and solve uninstalling problems

    Portable version of Revo Uninstaller is also available!


    Revo Uninstaller helps you to uninstall software and remove unwanted
    programs installed on your computer even if you have problems uninstalling
    and cannot uninstall them from "Windows Add or Remove Programs" control panel
    applet.

    Revo Uninstaller is a much faster and more powerful alternative to "Windows
    Add or Remove Programs" applet!

    With its advanced and fast algorithm, Revo Uninstaller analyzes an
    application's data before uninstall and scans after you uninstall an
    application. After the program's regular uninstaller runs, you can remove
    additional unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that are usually left
    over on your computer. Even if you have a broken installation, Revo
    Uninstaller scans for an application's data on your hard disk drives and in
    the Windows registry and shows all found files, folders and registry keys so
    you can delete them.

    With its unique "Hunter mode", Revo Uninstaller offers you some simple, easy
    to use, but effective and powerful methods for uninstalling software. You can
    use it to manage your installed and/or running software programs.

    Download Nowread more


    Revo Uninstaller gives you another 8 handy and powerful tools to clean up
    your system.

    Here is the list of the tools and utilities included in Revo Uninstaller:

    Auto Start Manager - Stop programs that start automatically on Windows
    startup; speed up loading of Windows!

    Windows Tools Manager - Handy and useful tools bundled with every version of
    Windows; easily find useful system tools and options!

    Junk Files Cleaner - Find and remove unnecessary files from your computer;
    free up disk space and delete files you do not need!

    Browsers History Cleaner - Erase web browser history, visited pages history
    and temporary internet files of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape and
    Opera web browsers; free up a lot of disk space by deleting temporary
    internet files like temporary saved videos, temporary flash files, temporary
    pictures etc!

    Office History Cleaner - Remove the history of most recently used files in
    MS Office; remove your tracks by deleting the list of last opened MS Office
    documents!

    Windows History Cleaner - Remove the history of recently opened files,
    delete temporary files, remove usage tracks and other history items that are
    saved by Windows; remove your tracks saved by Windows for a lot of
    operations!

    Unrecoverable Delete Tool - Erase files and folders forever; be sure that
    nobody could recover your files and folders after deleting!

    Evidence Remover - Make sure already deleted files, folders and other data
    are unrecoverable; securely erase your data!

    Download Nowread more


    What's new in Revo Uninstaller version 1.80:

    Revo Uninstaller is digitally signed and certified by VeriSign Inc.
    certificate issued to VS Revo Group
    Updated setup package of Revo Uninstaller – now smaller and faster
    Updated executable file of Revo Uninstaller – now faster
    Improved safety and accuracy of the scanning for leftover items after
    uninstall
    Extended “Exclude” list of the Junk Files Cleaner
    Fixed crash on loading - when some of the latest CA products are installed
    Fixed wrong detection of applications in Hunter Mode
    Fixed minor bugs
    Added new languages

    Download Now


    Revo Uninstaller is compatible with the following operating systems:



    Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista
    64 bit operating systems are NOT supported!


    Benefits of Revo Uninstaller :


    Revo Uninstaller is completely free - no cost, no adware, no spyware;
    You can uninstall programs easily and correctly;
    You can uninstall a program and scan after its built-in uninstaller for
    leftover registry keys, files and folders;
    You can uninstall programs even when their built-in uninstaller is corrupted
    and cannot be uninstalled;
    You can search as you type for installed programs; The search is much faster
    than "Windows Add or Remove Programs" control panel applet!
    You can see the list of installed programs much faster than with "Windows
    Add or Remove Programs" control panel applet!
    You can view a lot of details of the programs installed on your computer and
    uninstall programs you don't need (for example uninstall programs depending
    on their size to free disk space);
    You can use an innovative "Hunter mode" to uninstall, kill and delete
    programs. Uninstall unwanted programs just by aiming on their window or icon;
    You can use a "Drag and Drop" mode to uninstall, kill and delete programs;
    You can view and manage programs loaded on Windows startup;
    You can clean any junk, temporary and unnecessary files from your drives;
    You can have fast access to the most useful built-in Windows tools;
    You can erase all your browser history in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera
    and Netscape browsers;
    You can erase the recent document history of Microsoft Office products from
    version Microsoft Office 2000 till Microsoft Office 2007;
    You can erase most of the important traces you have left behind after
    working with Windows;
    You can permanently delete all of your already deleted files so they become
    completely unrecoverable by any software;
    You can securely delete any existing file or folder so it becomes
    unrecoverable by any software;
    You can use Revo Uninstaller and never have to solve uninstall problems;
    Download Now

    Enter your search terms Submit search form
    Web



    "Western" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having significant
    > trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    > uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time to
    > complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message stating
    > the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    > problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    > protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    > disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    > is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    > thus the process times out.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    > restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > LJP
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Hi
    >
    >I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having significant
    >trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    >uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time to
    >complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message stating
    >the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    >problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    >disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    >is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >thus the process times out.
    >
    >Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >
    >LJP <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    programs .
     
  4. Western

    Western Guest

    I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates a
    restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    install/uninstall. My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the time
    out I am getting.

    "Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >>significant
    >>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    >>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    >>to
    >>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >>stating
    >>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    >>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    >>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    >>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >>thus the process times out.
    >>
    >>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help
    >>
    >>LJP<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    > programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Bill Daggett

    Bill Daggett Guest

    "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates a
    >restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    >install/uninstall. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    You are right - IF you only install programs that are written to set
    that restore point. Such is hardly always the case.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    >if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    >wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the time
    >out I am getting.
    >
    >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >>>significant
    >>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    >>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    >>>to
    >>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >>>stating
    >>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    >>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    >>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    >>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >>>thus the process times out.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your help
    >>>
    >>>LJP<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    >> programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  6. Western

    Western Guest

    OK - so let's suppose system restore has nothing to do with this - I still
    cannot understand why I can't install or uninstall programs

    BTW - I tried to use the Revo uninstaller as suggested in the first reply
    post, and it doesn't work either - it gets stuck on "Creating System Restore
    Point". . .hmmmm

    "Bill Daggett" <Daggett@wmunny.invalid> wrote in message
    news:gsig85dqd5i29b1qmcimnmre5otbb0vq1f@4ax.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates
    >>a
    >>restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    >>install/uninstall.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > You are right - IF you only install programs that are written to set
    > that restore point. Such is hardly always the case.
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    >>if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    >>wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the
    >>time
    >>out I am getting.
    >>
    >>"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Hi
    >>>>
    >>>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >>>>significant
    >>>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install
    >>>>or
    >>>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    >>>>to
    >>>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >>>>stating
    >>>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of
    >>>>the
    >>>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >>>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are
    >>>>no
    >>>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system
    >>>>restore
    >>>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >>>>thus the process times out.
    >>>>
    >>>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >>>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >>>>
    >>>>Thanks for your help
    >>>>
    >>>>LJP
    >>>
    >>> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    >>> programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:21 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates a
    >restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    >install/uninstall. My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    >if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    >wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the time
    >out I am getting.
    >
    >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >>>significant
    >>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    >>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    >>>to
    >>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >>>stating
    >>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    >>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    >>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    >>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >>>thus the process times out.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your help
    >>>
    >>>LJP<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    >> programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    From what I`ve read on these groups , SR only creates a registry
    restore point every 24 working hours , from when the computer is
    working .
     
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:28:06 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >OK - so let's suppose system restore has nothing to do with this - I still
    >cannot understand why I can't install or uninstall programs
    >
    > BTW - I tried to use the Revo uninstaller as suggested in the first reply
    >post, and it doesn't work either - it gets stuck on "Creating System Restore
    >Point". . .hmmmm
    >
    >"Bill Daggett" <Daggett@wmunny.invalid> wrote in message
    >news:gsig85dqd5i29b1qmcimnmre5otbb0vq1f@4ax.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates
    >>>a
    >>>restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    >>>install/uninstall.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> You are right - IF you only install programs that are written to set
    >> that restore point. Such is hardly always the case.
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    >>>if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    >>>wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the
    >>>time
    >>>out I am getting.
    >>>
    >>>"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...
    >>>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Hi
    >>>>>
    >>>>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >>>>>significant
    >>>>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install
    >>>>>or
    >>>>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    >>>>>to
    >>>>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >>>>>stating
    >>>>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of
    >>>>>the
    >>>>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    >>>>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are
    >>>>>no
    >>>>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system
    >>>>>restore
    >>>>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    >>>>>thus the process times out.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >>>>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Thanks for your help
    >>>>>
    >>>>>LJP
    >>>>
    >>>> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    >>>> programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Have you checked for malware ?
     
  9. lennonjon

    lennonjon Guest

    Did you ever sort this out? I am having the same issue.

    Just bought a refurbished Asus Essentio and tried to install Office 2007,
    waited 2+ hours and quit the process. It however, was listed as being
    installed and taking up 1gb of space (but I couldn't use it). So I then tried
    to uninstall and it has been "uninstalling" for over an hour.

    This machine is running Vista. Is this just the way Vista is?

    Salud,
    Jon


    "Jim" wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:21 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore creates a
    > >restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    > >install/uninstall. My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made (or
    > >if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    > >wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the time
    > >out I am getting.
    > >
    > >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Hi
    > >>>
    > >>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    > >>>significant
    > >>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    > >>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time
    > >>>to
    > >>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    > >>>stating
    > >>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    > >>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    > >>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    > >>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    > >>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    > >>>thus the process times out.
    > >>>
    > >>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    > >>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    > >>>
    > >>>Thanks for your help
    > >>>
    > >>>LJP
    > >>
    > >> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    > >> programs . <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > From what I`ve read on these groups , SR only creates a registry
    > restore point every 24 working hours , from when the computer is
    > working .
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  10. Western

    Western Guest

    Issue is still unresolved. I have a running dialogue with one of the
    Microsoft TechNet moderators at the Windows Vista IT Pro forum/Windows Vista
    Applications. He has made some suggestions, but they haven't worked for me.
    I'm waiting for him to reply to one other question I posted last week
    regarding an "in place upgrade".

    I thinking of moving to Windows 7, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to
    get it on without doing a complete re-install.

    Good Luck!

    "lennonjon" <lennonjon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:BFC4DCB6-3CA9-4CCC-9DE6-12A8BFB9F243@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Did you ever sort this out? I am having the same issue.
    >
    > Just bought a refurbished Asus Essentio and tried to install Office 2007,
    > waited 2+ hours and quit the process. It however, was listed as being
    > installed and taking up 1gb of space (but I couldn't use it). So I then
    > tried
    > to uninstall and it has been "uninstalling" for over an hour.
    >
    > This machine is running Vista. Is this just the way Vista is?
    >
    > Salud,
    > Jon
    >
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:21 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >> >I thought that when you do an install or uninstall, system restore
    >> >creates a
    >> >restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the
    >> >install/uninstall. My theory is that if a restore point cannot be made
    >> >(or
    >> >if system restore is not functioning properly), the install program will
    >> >wait indefinitely for the restore point to be created - leading to the
    >> >time
    >> >out I am getting.
    >> >
    >> >"Jim" <bojimbo261@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> >news:gp3g859eej3ccpt2viv9srgrqfqhuh25fk@4ax.com...
    >> >> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:50:09 -0500, "Western" <ljpickus@comcast.net>
    >> >> wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >>>Hi
    >> >>>
    >> >>>I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having
    >> >>>significant
    >> >>>trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to
    >> >>>install or
    >> >>>uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long
    >> >>>time
    >> >>>to
    >> >>>complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message
    >> >>>stating
    >> >>>the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of
    >> >>>the
    >> >>>problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the
    >> >>>"system
    >> >>>protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are
    >> >>>no
    >> >>>disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system
    >> >>>restore
    >> >>>is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started
    >> >>>and
    >> >>>thus the process times out.
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    >> >>>restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Thanks for your help
    >> >>>
    >> >>>LJP
    >> >>
    >> >> System restore has absolutely nothing to do with install/uninstall
    >> >> programs .<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> From what I`ve read on these groups , SR only creates a registry
    >> restore point every 24 working hours , from when the computer is
    >> working .
    >> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page