1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

How can you change the default settings in File Manager?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JohnT, Sep 15, 2009.

  1. JohnT

    JohnT Guest

    I want it to default sort by name and not size and I want it that way for all
    folders I open. I find that some apps use the windows protocol and it is
    annoying having to change it there too. I was able to do it in XP and 2000
    but it is not as intuitive in Vista.
    I want it to sort by name and I would like some other view tabs instead of
    what's displayed. I know how to do that by adding sort (tabs) by right
    clicking but how do I make it universal and how do I make it stay that way?
    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    To sort by name make sure you are in the Details View then click on the
    "Name" heading.

    To have it applied to all folders Tools>>Folder Option>>View>>Apply to all
    folders.

    "JohnT" <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:7E11DCC8-E9B9-4C05-BC7A-26D6A923193C@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I want it to default sort by name and not size and I want it that way for
    >all
    > folders I open. I find that some apps use the windows protocol and it is
    > annoying having to change it there too. I was able to do it in XP and 2000
    > but it is not as intuitive in Vista.
    > I want it to sort by name and I would like some other view tabs instead of
    > what's displayed. I know how to do that by adding sort (tabs) by right
    > clicking but how do I make it universal and how do I make it stay that
    > way?
    > Thanks in advance! <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. JohnT

    JohnT Guest

    I do not have a tools option when I open File Manager. I only have Organize,
    Views, Explore, E-mail, Share, Burn (the last 4 are links and not sure how I
    just added them).
    I am using a shortcut in my Quick list to open the file manager and don't
    see it in Accessories off the program slider from the start menu. So maybe I
    should run it from the command line but not sure of the command.

    Thanks for helping.
     
  4. Guest

    Press the Alt key and the menu bar will appear.

    --
    ..
    --
    "JohnT" <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:AF7BF096-10AB-45A5-9581-A3A97A33678D@microsoft.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >I do not have a tools option when I open File Manager. I only have
    >Organize,
    > Views, Explore, E-mail, Share, Burn (the last 4 are links and not sure how
    > I
    > just added them).
    > I am using a shortcut in my Quick list to open the file manager and don't
    > see it in Accessories off the program slider from the start menu. So maybe
    > I
    > should run it from the command line but not sure of the command.
    >
    > Thanks for helping. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. JohnT

    JohnT Guest

    Great! I guess the Alt key is the new magical source finder in Vista...

    Thanks for your help!
     
  6. Macropodid

    Macropodid Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:31:51 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >To sort by name make sure you are in the Details View then click on the
    >"Name" heading.
    >
    >To have it applied to all folders Tools>>Folder Option>>View>>Apply to all
    >folders.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Yea, that's how it is supposed to work but it doesn't. Vista is
    forever deciding for you what view you get. THat's why I use
    Freecommander instead of Explorer in Vista. In hate Vista's explorer
    because it is for nubs and not power users. Win7 explorer is not much
    better either but is an improvement. There is a reg hack to fix the
    issue though but can't remever where to get it now so search google
    for it or just use FreeCommander instead as that is a real power users
    file management tool.
    *-----------------------------------------*
    "In war, truth is the first casualty."
    *-----------------------------------------*
     
  7. Macropodid

    Macropodid Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:27:01 -0700, JohnT
    <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >Great! I guess the Alt key is the new magical source finder in Vista...
    >
    >Thanks for your help!<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    There is an option there somewhere to make it permanent. I recommend
    you give this file manager a try instead though as it is stays in the
    view you last chose, unlike Vista. It also has dual pane view and
    aloows you to set each pane to which drive or folder it opens by
    default, plus many other cool tools.




    *-----------------------------------------*
    "In war, truth is the first casualty."
    *-----------------------------------------*
     

Share This Page