1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED - Vista Explorer Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by WebDev21, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. WebDev21

    WebDev21 Guest

  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    From an elevated command prompt, run sfc /scannow to try and correct the
    damage. It should detect and replace invalid or damaged system files and may
    help to correct the system. You may find that the damage you have done is
    beyond this and have to use whatever recovery method was provided by the
    manufacturer. Perhaps it may serve you well to keep system restore running
    this time so that you have an out for this sort of damage. As well, there is
    no means of reinstalling IE. As it's an integrated part of the system file
    set, it is not designed to have multiple versions installed.

    In the future, you should consider running virtual machines (vmware or
    virtual pc) so that you can have different versions of IE without the chance
    of corrupting an existing installation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "WebDev21" <WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com> wrote in message
    news:WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I was attempting to have Internet Explorer 7 run alongside my Internet
    > Explorer 8 (as I code webpages and need to see how layouts look in
    > both). I came across this IE7 Standalone installer and gave it a try.
    >
    > 'Internet Explorer 7 running side by side with IE6. (standalone) |
    > TredoSoft' (
    )
    >
    > Well, it didn't work, and it made IE8 not work either, so I uninstalled
    > it. IE8 still didn't work.
    >
    > Plus, in explorer (such as My Computer) whenever I click a folder, it
    > brings up a new explorer window. It doesn't matter what folder options
    > I select, it still does this.
    >
    > Also, I can no longer view the Control Panel, but I can view the
    > Control Panel Classic View, just not the Vista "Control Panel Home."
    >
    > I realize it was foolish of me to install this IE7 Standalone, but I
    > thought it would only install in it's own folder and not adjust any
    > system files. Eeek, I wish I could go back in time...
    >
    > I didn't have System Restore on, so that's not an option. I know, I'm
    > an idiot...
    >
    > I also don't have a Vista Boot disk, as this computer came with Vista
    > installed on it to begin with.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of ways I can possibly repair explorer or IE
    > files? Any tips, ideas, or any advice at all is greatly, greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    >
    > Thank you so very much,
    > Brad
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > WebDev21 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 9.04 RTW From
    .

    "WebDev21" <WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com> wrote in message
    news:WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I was attempting to have Internet Explorer 7 run alongside my Internet
    > Explorer 8 (as I code webpages and need to see how layouts look in
    > both). I came across this IE7 Standalone installer and gave it a try.
    >
    > 'Internet Explorer 7 running side by side with IE6. (standalone) |
    > TredoSoft' (
    )
    >
    > Well, it didn't work, and it made IE8 not work either, so I uninstalled
    > it. IE8 still didn't work.
    >
    > Plus, in explorer (such as My Computer) whenever I click a folder, it
    > brings up a new explorer window. It doesn't matter what folder options
    > I select, it still does this.
    >
    > Also, I can no longer view the Control Panel, but I can view the
    > Control Panel Classic View, just not the Vista "Control Panel Home."
    >
    > I realize it was foolish of me to install this IE7 Standalone, but I
    > thought it would only install in it's own folder and not adjust any
    > system files. Eeek, I wish I could go back in time...
    >
    > I didn't have System Restore on, so that's not an option. I know, I'm
    > an idiot...
    >
    > I also don't have a Vista Boot disk, as this computer came with Vista
    > installed on it to begin with.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of ways I can possibly repair explorer or IE
    > files? Any tips, ideas, or any advice at all is greatly, greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    >
    > Thank you so very much,
    > Brad
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > WebDev21 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. Here's what Rick Rogers wrote on 9/11/09:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > From an elevated command prompt, run sfc /scannow to try and correct the
    > damage. It should detect and replace invalid or damaged system files and may
    > help to correct the system. You may find that the damage you have done is
    > beyond this and have to use whatever recovery method was provided by the
    > manufacturer. Perhaps it may serve you well to keep system restore running
    > this time so that you have an out for this sort of damage. As well, there is
    > no means of reinstalling IE. As it's an integrated part of the system file
    > set, it is not designed to have multiple versions installed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > In the future, you should consider running virtual machines (vmware or
    > virtual pc) so that you can have different versions of IE without the chance
    > of corrupting an existing installation.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I got an e-mail today from Parallels - they are introducing a PC
    version of Parallels, costing $80. I used to run my Windows on
    Parallels on a Mac, so they know who I am.

    I also was running VMware on the Mac, so now I'm using the free VMware
    Player to run a Windows VM here for a couple of things I have that
    don't have Vista 64 drivers. Maybe I'll try Parallels' free trial to
    see how I like it :)

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > --
    > Best of Luck,<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Windows help -

    > Vote for my shoe:
    <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "WebDev21" <WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com> wrote in message
    > news:WebDev21.4efce14@vistabanter.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I was attempting to have Internet Explorer 7 run alongside my Internet
    >> Explorer 8 (as I code webpages and need to see how layouts look in
    >> both). I came across this IE7 Standalone installer and gave it a try.
    >>
    >> 'Internet Explorer 7 running side by side with IE6. (standalone) |
    >> TredoSoft' (
    )
    >>
    >> Well, it didn't work, and it made IE8 not work either, so I uninstalled
    >> it. IE8 still didn't work.
    >>
    >> Plus, in explorer (such as My Computer) whenever I click a folder, it
    >> brings up a new explorer window. It doesn't matter what folder options
    >> I select, it still does this.
    >>
    >> Also, I can no longer view the Control Panel, but I can view the
    >> Control Panel Classic View, just not the Vista "Control Panel Home."
    >>
    >> I realize it was foolish of me to install this IE7 Standalone, but I
    >> thought it would only install in it's own folder and not adjust any
    >> system files. Eeek, I wish I could go back in time...
    >>
    >> I didn't have System Restore on, so that's not an option. I know, I'm
    >> an idiot...
    >>
    >> I also don't have a Vista Boot disk, as this computer came with Vista
    >> installed on it to begin with.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas of ways I can possibly repair explorer or IE
    >> files? Any tips, ideas, or any advice at all is greatly, greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >>
    >> Thank you so very much,
    >> Brad
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> -- WebDev21<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    --
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
     

Share This Page