1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Disk is Threshing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jerry Criswell, Aug 23, 2009.

  1. For some time now I have had a problem where, apparently at random, my hard
    drive starts running and ties up my laptop to the point nothing will run.
    This lasts anywhere from 5 to 18 minutes. I have not been able to
    reproduce this on purpose, but yesterday it happened 3 times when I started
    either Outlook or Foxfire. Today it happened when I tried to sync my PDA.
    I have tried to turn off any indexing I can find, but no help. It doesn't
    always happen every day, but will do it several times a week. I am running
    on a Toshibe Satellite laptop with Vista Home Premium. Any ideas?

    Thank you for your time.

    JC
     
  2. whs

    whs Guest

    How much RAM do you have. It could be page thrashing if you have less
    than 2GBs. The other possibility is that the system writes a lot of
    error reports. Go to "Problem reports and solutions" in System
    Maintenance and then "View problem history" (in the left pane) and look
    how many reports were sent and whether the times coincide with the times
    of your problems.


    --
    whs
     
  3. "Jerry Criswell" <Jerry_Criswell1958@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9C7074E82A0BBcriswelmchsicom@207.46.248.16...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > For some time now I have had a problem where, apparently at random, my
    > hard
    > drive starts running and ties up my laptop to the point nothing will run.
    > This lasts anywhere from 5 to 18 minutes. I have not been able to
    > reproduce this on purpose, but yesterday it happened 3 times when I
    > started
    > either Outlook or Foxfire. Today it happened when I tried to sync my PDA.
    > I have tried to turn off any indexing I can find, but no help. It doesn't
    > always happen every day, but will do it several times a week. I am
    > running
    > on a Toshibe Satellite laptop with Vista Home Premium. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > JC<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Normally I would suggest that you check for disk fragmentation and run
    cleanmgr (from Run) (to clean out the internet files), but this behavior is
    unusual and I would download the disk manufacturer's drive test software and
    check the drive if these two steps are ineffective.
     
  4. kword88

    kword88 Guest

    maybe a utility program running on a set schedule? such as defrag? or
    maybe a virus scanner?
    system mechanic slows my pc to a crawl when it runs.
    if you think you are low on RAM, you can reclaim some by disabling as
    many startup programs as possible.
    if you need tips on how to free up more disk space and RAM, just ask.


    --
    kword88
     
  5. whs

    whs Guest

  6. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Have you checked if indexing is running at this time

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Jerry Criswell" <Jerry_Criswell1958@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9C7074E82A0BBcriswelmchsicom@207.46.248.16...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > For some time now I have had a problem where, apparently at random, my hard
    > drive starts running and ties up my laptop to the point nothing will run.
    > This lasts anywhere from 5 to 18 minutes. I have not been able to
    > reproduce this on purpose, but yesterday it happened 3 times when I started
    > either Outlook or Foxfire. Today it happened when I tried to sync my PDA.
    > I have tried to turn off any indexing I can find, but no help. It doesn't
    > always happen every day, but will do it several times a week. I am running
    > on a Toshibe Satellite laptop with Vista Home Premium. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > JC <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in
    news:1fbaf7b0c740b1ef65f5f608e4471b0f@nntp-gateway.com:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > How much RAM do you have. It could be page thrashing if you have less
    > than 2GBs. The other possibility is that the system writes a lot of
    > error reports. Go to "Problem reports and solutions" in System
    > Maintenance and then "View problem history" (in the left pane) and look
    > how many reports were sent and whether the times coincide with the times
    > of your problems.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I do have 2 Gig, but where is System Maintenence? I didn't find it in
    Accesories, Control Panel or with a search.

    JC
     
  8. kword88 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in
    news:e46212e00d5df58fbbc49ba613d7f777@nntp-gateway.com:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > maybe a utility program running on a set schedule? such as defrag? or
    > maybe a virus scanner?
    > system mechanic slows my pc to a crawl when it runs.
    > if you think you are low on RAM, you can reclaim some by disabling as
    > many startup programs as possible.
    > if you need tips on how to free up more disk space and RAM, just ask.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I do have System Mechanic, but it always has the little window up when it
    runs and I can cancel it if I choose. It doesn't lock up my machine or
    slow it down. How do I stop/change that operation by the way?

    JC
     
  9. whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in
    news:bd0cb953990807135444a338c7b00a39@nntp-gateway.com:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Given that we have now proposed a lot of different possible causes, you
    > may want to run Process Explorer ( 'Process Explorer'
    > () ) at the
    > time of the slowdown to see which processes are most active.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    I have downloaded this program and I will give it a try. Normally I'm
    unable to do anything when the problem occurs, so we will see.

    JC
     
  10. "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OBnAEyEJKHA.3708
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Have you checked if indexing is running at this time
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    It is my belief that I have indexing shut off, but I'm not sure how to be
    positive about that.
     
  11. whs

    whs Guest

    Keep Process Explorer running in the background. Then you can bring it
    up immediately when needed. If you click on "CPU" on the top of the PE
    window, then all processes that use CPU time will be listed first. That
    makes it easier to decypher.


    --
    whs
     
  12. whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in
    news:318989b811011fbaa9a6832ff1629137@nntp-gateway.com:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Keep Process Explorer running in the background. Then you can bring it
    > up immediately when needed. If you click on "CPU" on the top of the PE
    > window, then all processes that use CPU time will be listed first. That
    > makes it easier to decypher.
    >
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Thanks for the help. Been out of town. In the meantime I upgraded
    ZoneAlarm and haven't had disk threshing since. Hmmmmm.
     

Share This Page