1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

General vista/XP questions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lsc@joimail.com, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. Pc will be purchased with Vista with free upgrade to Windows 7. A
    couple of questions..

    1. I was told that Windows 7 will emulate XP so Xp programs can
    run but the processor must be a dual and not and Intel
    processor.. Hp words Clearly Iam missing something here.

    2. If I load XP as second OS (which I have not done before)does
    that mean I need say printer drivers for Window 7 and XP.

    3. With two oses can both share the same application and
    associated files ?. or must the application be loaded under each OS/..
    Thanks in Advance.
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > 1. I was told that Windows 7 will emulate XP so Xp programs can run but
    > the processor must be a dual and not and Intel processor.. Hp words
    > Clearly Iam missing something here.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Processor can be Intel or AMD, it's just that it must support
    virtualization. Read more:

    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > 2. If I load XP as second OS (which I have not done before)does that mean
    > I need say printer drivers for Window 7 and XP.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    If you were to load XP as a second OS (either to its own volume or as a
    virtual machine), then yes you would need appropriate printer drivers for
    each.
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > 3. With two oses can both share the same application and associated files
    > ?. or must the application be loaded under each OS/..<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    The application folder can be shared if both OS's use the same version of
    the software (this is not always a possibility), but it still must be
    installed separately under both in order to create needed registry entries
    and to place appropriate files in system folders.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    <lsc@joimail.com> wrote in message
    news:ee9TriNNKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Pc will be purchased with Vista with free upgrade to Windows 7. A couple
    > of questions..
    >
    > Thanks in Advance. <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. theog

    theog Guest

    Hi Isc

    Have a look at this link:

    'Windows 7 Forums' ()


    --
    theog
     
  4. Thanks for your reply it is helpful. Yet as always it brings up
    other concerns.

    Does volume mean disk participation, e.g., own volume means disk
    must be participation and second OS loaded in that participation
    and Say XP applications loaded in that participation?.

    Some what related is can one boot up from scsi harddrive if
    internal drive fails ?. In fact that makes me wonder if external
    SCSI is were I could keep the second OS ?.

    Again thanks Rich

    Rick Rogers wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > Hi,
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> 1. I was told that Windows 7 will emulate XP so Xp programs can run
    >> but the processor must be a dual and not and Intel processor.. Hp
    >> words Clearly Iam missing something here.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Processor can be Intel or AMD, it's just that it must support
    > virtualization. Read more:
    >
    >
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> 2. If I load XP as second OS (which I have not done before)does that
    >> mean I need say printer drivers for Window 7 and XP.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > If you were to load XP as a second OS (either to its own volume or as a
    > virtual machine), then yes you would need appropriate printer drivers
    > for each.
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> 3. With two oses can both share the same application and associated
    >> files ?. or must the application be loaded under each OS/..<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > The application folder can be shared if both OS's use the same version
    > of the software (this is not always a possibility), but it still must be
    > installed separately under both in order to create needed registry
    > entries and to place appropriate files in system folders.
    > <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page