1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Freezing computer, Checking file systems C:

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cee12, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. cee12

    cee12 Guest

    For the past week or so, if I was on the internet/had other programs
    running.. every so often my computer would freeze(all windows). I could
    still click the "x" to choose for windows to close everything or right
    click on the task bar, but it took a while for everything to actually
    close. Now, if I'm running a virus scan or using other programs, and
    open the internet(multiple windows too), everything will freeze, and I
    cant click on anything, in which I shut off my computer using the power
    button. A few times upon restarting the "Checking file system on C: The
    type of file system is NTFS.." has come up, and completed. Does anyone
    know what could be done to fix the freezing up, or what is causing this?
    I'm using windows vista home premium 32bit.


    --
    cee12
     
  2. Rick Rogers

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Freezing and slow response like you are experiencing is often a sign of
    impending hardware failure. Two things to check immediately are the physical
    memory and the hard drive. For the memory, just type 'memory diagnostic'
    into the start/search line and the program will appear in the start menu.
    Select it and follow the prompts to reboot and start the scan. If any faults
    are found, you will need to replace it as soon as possible (I would suggest
    crucial.com as a reliable source of good memory).

    For the hard drive, you should download a diagnostic utility from the
    manufacturer. This is generally an .iso file that is used to create a
    bootable disk containing diagnostic tools for the drive. Again, if faults
    are found you will likely need to purchase a new one as there is little you
    can do to repair a faulty one.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

    Windows help -

    Vote for my shoe:


    "cee12" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:5685d528875ad7c785e055c8f18cf91a@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > For the past week or so, if I was on the internet/had other programs
    > running.. every so often my computer would freeze(all windows). I could
    > still click the "x" to choose for windows to close everything or right
    > click on the task bar, but it took a while for everything to actually
    > close. Now, if I'm running a virus scan or using other programs, and
    > open the internet(multiple windows too), everything will freeze, and I
    > cant click on anything, in which I shut off my computer using the power
    > button. A few times upon restarting the "Checking file system on C: The
    > type of file system is NTFS.." has come up, and completed. Does anyone
    > know what could be done to fix the freezing up, or what is causing this?
    > I'm using windows vista home premium 32bit.
    >
    >
    > --
    > cee12 <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. Mr.Pancks

    Mr.Pancks Guest

    "cee12" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:5685d528875ad7c785e055c8f18cf91a@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > For the past week or so, if I was on the internet/had other programs
    > running.. every so often my computer would freeze(all windows). I could
    > still click the "x" to choose for windows to close everything or right
    > click on the task bar, but it took a while for everything to actually
    > close. Now, if I'm running a virus scan or using other programs, and
    > open the internet(multiple windows too), everything will freeze, and I
    > cant click on anything, in which I shut off my computer using the power
    > button. A few times upon restarting the "Checking file system on C: The
    > type of file system is NTFS.." has come up, and completed. Does anyone
    > know what could be done to fix the freezing up, or what is causing this?
    > I'm using windows vista home premium 32bit.
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Get more RAM.
    And use to
    stop any unneeded startup programs.
     

Share This Page