1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

format a second drive that has vista on it

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fkittle, Sep 3, 2009.

  1. fkittle

    fkittle Guest

    I am using a hard drive from a failed computer as a second drive on a
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer. I want to remove the two partitions
    of Vista from the old-second drive and recover that space. How do I
    do this? Is using fdisk possible? I remember doing that before Vista.


    --
    fkittle
     
  2. rak

    rak Guest

    Try the free utility gparted. It has worked well for me in the past.

    "fkittle" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f9ef0f4de8ced2604a79dc28b9a130d4@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    >
    > I am using a hard drive from a failed computer as a second drive on a
    > Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer. I want to remove the two partitions
    > of Vista from the old-second drive and recover that space. How do I
    > do this? Is using fdisk possible? I remember doing that before Vista.
    >
    >
    > --
    > fkittle <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  3. In Vista this is done in Disk Management.

    There is no need to boot separately and use a command line tool unless
    you want to repartition the system volume, which is protected when Vista
    is running.


    On 03/09/2009 15:59, fkittle wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I am using a hard drive from a failed computer as a second drive on a
    > Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer. I want to remove the two partitions
    > of Vista from the old-second drive and recover that space. How do I
    > do this? Is using fdisk possible? I remember doing that before Vista.
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  4. LVTravel

    LVTravel Guest

    "fkittle" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:f9ef0f4de8ced2604a79dc28b9a130d4@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > I am using a hard drive from a failed computer as a second drive on a
    > Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer. I want to remove the two partitions
    > of Vista from the old-second drive and recover that space. How do I
    > do this? Is using fdisk possible? I remember doing that before Vista.
    >
    >
    > --
    > fkittle<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Right click Computer on the desktop and then left click Manage. In the
    window that opens, click Disk Management. After the right side of the
    window populates, in the lower section you will find your main volume and
    the second drive. The second drive should have two volumes on it. Right
    click on the right hand volume on the line with your second drive. Left
    click Delete volume. Ensure you are working on the correct volume and
    answer the responses to delete the volume. Once that volume is deleted you
    can then delete the first volume on the drive in the same manner. Once the
    first volume on the drive is deleted then you can then partition and format
    the drive which ever way you want. Again, right click brings up the menu
    and a left click on the item selects it.

    Hope this helps, let us know.
     
  5. fkittle

    fkittle Guest

    Thanks to all of you who responded! Was able to take care of it.


    --
    fkittle
     
  6. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, fkittle.

    Thanks for the feedback, but, as Seinfeld would say, "You yada-yadaed over
    the best part!" :>(

    HOW did you "take care of it"?

    In a newsgroup, we all learn from each other. You learned from us. Now
    it's your turn to help others by telling what worked for you. Others with a
    similar problem can learn from your experience - IF you will share.

    Please.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@grandecom.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    "fkittle" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:5898256add208ec7fa049bf046962ae1@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > Thanks to all of you who responded! Was able to take care of it.
    >
    >
    > --
    > fkittle <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     

Share This Page