1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Folder Options access restricted

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by James Gilman, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

    I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control panel or the windows explorer organizer tab.

    From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator'.

    I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of Windows. Any suggestions?
     
  2. Brink

    Brink Guest

  3. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

  4. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

    I tried to do a system restore from points two and four weeks old. Both
    restores failed. I am not the only one with this Folder Options restricted
    problem. This needs to be solved.


    "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    news:eG02MfRJKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > The suggested change had no effect as the Folder Option selections are are
    > available - but clicking on the selection results in the restriction
    > window. I have the same content in my registry as the person on the forum.
    >
    > "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    > news:2bd14d241f95cb2b6b792645b9060de8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >>
    >> Hello James,
    >>
    >> This may be able to help you enable your Folder Options again.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >> Shawn
    >>
    >> James Gilman;1119563 Wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control panel
    >>> or the windows explorer organizer tab.
    >>>
    >>> From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does
    >>> nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating
    >>> 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    >>> computer. Please contact your system administrator'.
    >>>
    >>> I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of
    >>> Windows. Any suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Brink
    >>
    >> '*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
    >> (
    )
    >> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
    >> them.*
    >> '*Windows 7 Forums*' (
    )
    >> '*Windows Vista Forums*' (
    )
    >>
    >> *Please post feedback to help others.*<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    >
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  5. Malke

    Malke Guest

    James Gilman wrote:
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > I tried to do a system restore from points two and four weeks old. Both
    > restores failed. I am not the only one with this Folder Options restricted
    > problem. This needs to be solved.
    >
    >
    > "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    > news:eG02MfRJKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> The suggested change had no effect as the Folder Option selections are
    >> are available - but clicking on the selection results in the restriction
    >> window. I have the same content in my registry as the person on the
    >> forum.
    >>
    >> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    >> news:2bd14d241f95cb2b6b792645b9060de8@nntp-gateway.com...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>
    >>> Hello James,
    >>>
    >>> This may be able to help you enable your Folder Options again.
    >>>
    >>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    disable.html
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> James Gilman;1119563 Wrote:
    >>>> I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control panel
    >>>> or the windows explorer organizer tab.
    >>>>
    >>>> From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does
    >>>> nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating
    >>>> 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
    >>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator'.
    >>>>
    >>>> I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of
    >>>> Windows. Any suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Every time I've seen this on a client's machine it was because the computer
    was severely infected. So:

    The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
    between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
    status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
    versions) did you use to determine this?

    Be sure the computer is clean:


    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
     
  6. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

    My computer has not encountered any viruses that I know of - I have been
    using Windows Live Onecare since I purchased this laptop about 6 months ago.
    I am really not sure how long the computer has been in this state. Other
    computers (an XP and a Vista Basic machine) on my local network do not have
    this problem.

    "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:uscuPlXJKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > James Gilman wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> I tried to do a system restore from points two and four weeks old. Both
    >> restores failed. I am not the only one with this Folder Options
    >> restricted
    >> problem. This needs to be solved.
    >>
    >>
    >> "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    >> news:eG02MfRJKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> The suggested change had no effect as the Folder Option selections are
    >>> are available - but clicking on the selection results in the restriction
    >>> window. I have the same content in my registry as the person on the
    >>> forum.
    >>>
    >>> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:2bd14d241f95cb2b6b792645b9060de8@nntp-gateway.com...
    >>>>
    >>>> Hello James,
    >>>>
    >>>> This may be able to help you enable your Folder Options again.
    >>>>
    >>>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > disable.html
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> James Gilman;1119563 Wrote:
    >>>>> I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control
    >>>>> panel
    >>>>> or the windows explorer organizer tab.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does
    >>>>> nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating
    >>>>> 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
    >>>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator'.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of
    >>>>> Windows. Any suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Every time I've seen this on a client's machine it was because the
    > computer
    > was severely infected. So:
    >
    > The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
    > between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
    >
    > The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
    > status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
    > versions) did you use to determine this?
    >
    > Be sure the computer is clean:
    >

    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP
    > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >

    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
     
  7. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

    "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    news:uYsyZtdJKHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > My computer has not encountered any viruses that I know of - I have been
    > using Windows Live Onecare since I purchased this laptop about 6 months
    > ago. I am really not sure how long the computer has been in this state.
    > Other computers (an XP and a Vista Basic machine) on my local network do
    > not have this problem.
    >
    > "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:uscuPlXJKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> James Gilman wrote:
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I tried to do a system restore from points two and four weeks old. Both
    >>> restores failed. I am not the only one with this Folder Options
    >>> restricted
    >>> problem. This needs to be solved.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    >>> news:eG02MfRJKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >>>> The suggested change had no effect as the Folder Option selections are
    >>>> are available - but clicking on the selection results in the
    >>>> restriction
    >>>> window. I have the same content in my registry as the person on the
    >>>> forum.
    >>>>
    >>>> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:2bd14d241f95cb2b6b792645b9060de8@nntp-gateway.com...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Hello James,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> This may be able to help you enable your Folder Options again.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> disable.html
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>>> James Gilman;1119563 Wrote:
    >>>>>> I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control
    >>>>>> panel
    >>>>>> or the windows explorer organizer tab.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does
    >>>>>> nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating
    >>>>>> 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
    >>>>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator'.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of
    >>>>>> Windows. Any suggestions?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Every time I've seen this on a client's machine it was because the
    >> computer
    >> was severely infected. So:
    >>
    >> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
    >> changed
    >> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
    >>
    >> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
    >> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
    >> versions) did you use to determine this?
    >>
    >> Be sure the computer is clean:
    >>

    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP
    >> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >>

    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    ><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->


    I first noticed this problem about a week ago while I was trying to solve a
    problem (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error) I encountered with Family Tree
    Maker ( a genealogy program). I had not run into this FTM problem on either
    of my other two computers (XP & Vista) on which it is installed.
     
  8. James Gilman

    James Gilman Guest

    "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    news:#CitHVeJKHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    >
    > "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    > news:uYsyZtdJKHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> My computer has not encountered any viruses that I know of - I have been
    >> using Windows Live Onecare since I purchased this laptop about 6 months
    >> ago. I am really not sure how long the computer has been in this state.
    >> Other computers (an XP and a Vista Basic machine) on my local network do
    >> not have this problem.
    >>
    >> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:uscuPlXJKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> James Gilman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I tried to do a system restore from points two and four weeks old. Both
    >>>> restores failed. I am not the only one with this Folder Options
    >>>> restricted
    >>>> problem. This needs to be solved.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "James Gilman" <skibum@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
    >>>> news:eG02MfRJKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >>>>> The suggested change had no effect as the Folder Option selections are
    >>>>> are available - but clicking on the selection results in the
    >>>>> restriction
    >>>>> window. I have the same content in my registry as the person on the
    >>>>> forum.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:2bd14d241f95cb2b6b792645b9060de8@nntp-gateway.com...
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Hello James,
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> This may be able to help you enable your Folder Options again.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>> disable.html
    >>>
    >>>>>> James Gilman;1119563 Wrote:
    >>>>>>> I can no longer access the Folder Options from either the control
    >>>>>>> panel
    >>>>>>> or the windows explorer organizer tab.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> From the control panel, clicking on the Folder Options icon does
    >>>>>>> nothing. From Windows Explorer, I get a restrictions window stating
    >>>>>>> 'this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
    >>>>>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator'.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I am running on a laptop with a Vista Home Premium 32bit version of
    >>>>>>> Windows. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Every time I've seen this on a client's machine it was because the
    >>> computer
    >>> was severely infected. So:
    >>>
    >>> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
    >>> changed
    >>> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
    >>>
    >>> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
    >>> malware/virus
    >>> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
    >>> versions) did you use to determine this?
    >>>
    >>> Be sure the computer is clean:
    >>>

    >>>
    >>> Malke
    >>> --
    >>> MS-MVP
    >>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    >>>

    >>><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > I first noticed this problem about a week ago while I was trying to solve
    > a problem (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error) I encountered with Family
    > Tree Maker ( a genealogy program). I had not run into this FTM problem on
    > either of my other two computers (XP & Vista) on which it is installed.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

    Everything on my computer works fine except this one problem. It does not
    appear to be a virus. I am really just curious as to what the cause is. I
    have another free utility, FileTypesMan, which I can use to alter in file
    type associations.
     

Share This Page